I've just about decided on a bike...but what about gear?

Flat Knuckle
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Looking for my first bike

Re: I've just about decided on a bike...but what about gear?

#11 Unread post by Flat Knuckle »

I went to another dealership after work yesterday, and that one had some Virago/Star 250s. I like that riding position, so I'm pretty sure my first bike will be a smaller cruiser. Still need to head into the north part of town and get a feel for the Boulevard S40.

I'll also have to take a more serious look at gear soon. On that note, do I really need boots specifically designed for motorcycle riding? I'm typically required to wear steel-toed boots for work, so if those will suffice, I can save some money on gear. If not, or if I'm better off with motorcycle boots, I'll have to put a set of saddlebags on the shopping list.

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#12 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

If they're heavy duty, cover your ankles, and make your feet happy you're good.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#13 Unread post by Hanson »

Flat Knuckle,

I am in a very similar situation and I have been thinking about these issue a lot as I look for my first motorcycle. I am also 6'2" tall.

I want to chat just a bit about economy and mileage as a function of the performance of the bike because a lot of people, and this might not include yourself, do not have a good understanding that the savings derived from improved mileage is not linear with the change in MPG.

Lets say that we have a fairly long commute of 50 miles each way. I am picking some nice round numbers for this illustration and this gives us a commute of 100 miles a day or 500 miles in a week. Let us also use a nice round number of $4.00 for a gallon of fuel.

15 mpg = 33.33 gallons = $133.33 my pickup truck

40 mpg = 12.50 gallons = $50.00 a typical largish motorcycle
50 mpg = 10.00 gallons = $40.00 a larger midsized moto with a savings of $10 a week over a large moto
60 mpg = 8.33 gallons = $33.33 a smaller midsized moto with an additional savings of $6.67 a week
70 mpg = 7.14 gallons = $28.57 a small motorcycle with an additional savings of $4.76 a week
80 mpg = 6.24 gallons = $25.00 perhaps a scooter with an additional saving of $3.57 a week

Notice how the savings decrease form $10.00, to $6.67, to $4.76, and finally to $3.57.

For each increase in 10 mpg in fuel economy, the savings derived from that increase gets smaller. The relationship between fuel economy and savings is not linear. To put things in perspective, the savings between 60 mpg and 80 mpg is only about one hour of work a week at minimum wage even when commuting 100 mile each day. In contrast, the difference in performance between a 250cc and a 500cc bike is large and performance is also a significant safety concern when traveling on the highway.

What is the perfect balance between safety, performance, utility, economy, and aesthetes in a motorcycle is going to depend heavily on your personal goals and tastes. From your posts is it clear that economy is an important consideration, and I hope this reply will help you make a great choice on the balance between economy and performance. Respectfully, please understand that I am not trying to tell you what choice to make, I am only hoping to provide a bit of information that will help you make the best possible choice for yourself.

One very interesting motorcycle from a commuter utility perspective is the Honda NC700X. This motorcycle was designed with great on-bike locking storage and remarkable fuel economy for it's size and performance. The two cylinder engine of the NC700X is basically half of the highly evolved 4 cylinder engine of the Honda Civic and the motorcycle gets an amazing 65 to 70 mpg while still being fully highway capable. What we give up on the NC700X is that the engine is not a typical high revving motorcycle engine and instead red-lines at only about 6.5k rpm. The NC700X has modest performance compared to most motorcycles of similar displacement but much improved fuel economy. In contrast, the new Honda CB500F, which looks to be a great starter bike, has similar performance with a smaller displacement engine but only gets around 50 to 55 mpg.

I am not advocating for Honda, I just picked these models from a single vendor to illustrate that bikes are engineered for a purpose, to appeal to specific market segments, and in many cases the engineers have done a good job balancing the various characteristics of the motorcycle for the intended market niche. Most 250 motorcycles are designed for new riders with a low entry price, easy handling, and modest performance to help new riders acquire skills in comparative safety. As a consequence of low power they also tend to be fuel efficient, but a starter motorcycle is not necessarily a good commuter motorcycle especially for a larger men or women. Moreover; total cost of ownership is going to be impacted by a lot of factors other than just purchase price and fuel economy, some of which include maintenance costs, depreciation, insurance costs, and opportunity costs. I wager that a significant majority of motorcycle riders never think deeply about the many factors impacting the economics of their purchases and I think this is wonderful. The fact that I do think about such things is likely a personality defect.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Mithrandir
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None

#14 Unread post by Mithrandir »

Hanson,

Thanks for the math on the relative cost difference at different MPG levels.

I guess if ~$20/1000 miles will make or break the budget, I might need to reconsider the merits of a motorcycle purchase.

I would also need to consider the difference in insurance and maintenance between a 500cc compared to a 250cc motorcycle. I am guessing that the difference would be relatively small depending on the insurance company and the maintenance required.

I think that a 250cc motorcycle would be enough for any speeds up to 70mph. On the highway, the lack of "muscle" of a 250cc would require more planning in my passing and riding at higher speeds. The available power of a 500cc would make passing/accelerating much easier in the 70-90mph range.

Is there significant difference between the cornering ability of a 250cc vs. 500cc motorcycle (say a Honda cbr250r vs. Honda cbr500r/f/x)?

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#15 Unread post by storysunfolding »

If you believe the guys that race the 250s in WERA, there is a difference in cornering. It's much easier to corner on a 250 than their 600 and 1000 cc sportbikes :lol:

Given how fast those guys go and my own experience on the ninja 250 you won't have problems passing at 80 mph. Most guys that talk down on the 250 cc sportbikes never truly rode one or opened it up.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#16 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Straight miles per gallon isn't the whole picture. Motorcycles go through tires about 3-4 times a quickly as cars @$250-$300 pair. Then there's your protective gear - NOT to be ignored if you plan to commute. The more often you're out on the road, the greater the chance of an incident with a careless driver. General maintenance can be pricey and sometimes will take time, esp if you need a part. Then insurance... it adds up quickly.

Getting the picture?
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#17 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

I have to get new tires very 10k miles (8 mos). With mount and balance, the bill is about $400.

As far as insurance goes, stay under 750cc for the bargain pricing.

Don't rule out the 750's just yet. Mine gets about 50mpg (it's too small for your tall frame, so look at other models and brands).
Ooooooh. Shiny!

NC Narrator
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2006 Suzuki Boulevard S40

#18 Unread post by NC Narrator »

I like the Boulevard S40. I'm short (5'3") so I needed a shorter seat height. I looked at the 250's but I discovered most of them have a maximum speed of around 55 or 60mph. As far as I can tell you have to assume that speed is on a flat with average weight and no headwind. My concern was that the speed limit on at least part of my commute is 65 mph - which we ALL know REALLY means everyone is going 70-75mph. I just wasn't confident that most of those 250's could handle that AND go up a hill.

The V-stars fare better on maximum speed, but when I tested a couple I found that I felt like I was about the kill the poor little hamster in the motor. I used to have a '73 Beetle - technically you could get up to 65 mph on a downhill stretch with a following wind, but the engine was redlined all the way and sounded like it was about the toss its cookies.

Also - windscreen! After my ride home on my new (to me) bike, the windscreen became the new priority piece of equipment. You know that feeling you get when you stick your hand out the car window on the highway? Yeah, that's your head when you turn it to see if someone's about the smear you across the pavement.

I talked my hubby into the bike by playing up the gas mileage for my commute (1 hour each way, 4 days a week), but in reality I mostly just wanted it for the enjoyment. Luckily I work 2nd shift, so I'm heading to work in the middle of the afternoon and coming home in the wee hours of the a.m. Mostly the only company I have on the road are semis and the highway patrol. And critters. And bugs. Big bugs. Full face helmet is recommended.