Ow3ns
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2013 Suzuki Hayabusa

New Busa

#1 Unread post by Ow3ns »

Hello everyone. I have been riding a few years now. I had a GSXR 600 that was totalled in a wreck :( i loved that bike. I just put a deposit down today on a 2013 hayabusa. I am deployed to Afghanistan right now, but will be home at the end of the month. Very excited to get back on a bike. I know the busa is far more powerful than the 600, so if anybody could give me any advice on what to expect before I get on the bike, it would be greatly appreciated.
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Re: New Busa

#2 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I know the bike is completely different in it's handling characteristics compared to a RR 600 (race replica). There is the power difference but the Busa is a much longer machine and can corner well but nothing like your previous bike. I do not know if the suspension is adjustable on a Busa probably is though and I would definitely set it up. The braking is bound to have a much different feel as well. But hey if your smart enough to ask questions and you are, you are gonna love it. Just remember
ATGATT
Tweed out
there aint nothin like it

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

You know how on your 600, it was basically gutless til 8K RPM? Yeah not so much on the Busa. Power everywhere in the RPM range.
Your 600 was super easy to drop into a corner. You'll have to work a little harder on this. Not as hard as a cruiser, but harder than a small RR.
Suspension is definitely adjustable and definitely needs to be set up.
Braking is going to feel like it's not nearly as strong initially but then you'll realize it's because you're trying to slow down a bike weighing 1.5X what your 600 was.

Can I make a suggestion? Borrow a buddy's 600/750 for 50 miles or so just to get the hang of it while your muscle memory comes back from being off of a bike for a year or so during your deployment.

Side question... Was the accident that totaled the 600 your fault? If so I'd rethink the Busa. Completely different animal. and a whole lot more powerful.

That said, great bike overall and congrats!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Ow3ns
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2013 Suzuki Hayabusa

#4 Unread post by Ow3ns »

Thanks for your advice. @wrider, the accident was not my fault, a car pulled out in front of me, as it could possibly have been avoided, it was not my fault. My friend does own a 750 and I have already talked to him about riding it for a day before I ride the busa.
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

Very cool! Gotta love the cages that "don't see us" eh"?

Congrats though! Hell of a bike you're hopping on there!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#6 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Ow3ns wrote:Thanks for your advice. @wrider, the accident was not my fault, a car pulled out in front of me, as it could possibly have been avoided, it was not my fault. My friend does own a 750 and I have already talked to him about riding it for a day before I ride the busa.
"Not my fault." Sorry. For a guy buying a 'busa as a returning rider who was unable to avoid a collision. I beg to differ. Tough love here, dude. Reality sucks.

Did the car "appear" in front of you? How far ahead were you looking? If you didn't have a clear sight line, why weren't you covering your brakes or at least reducing speed before the car pulled out? How fast were you going? Did you use both brakes when trying to avoid hitting the car or did you "lay it down" to avoid a collision?
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

fzrbiker
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1992/yamaha/fzr

#7 Unread post by fzrbiker »

Welcome to the forum first my first and last advise would be easy with the throttle and enjoy your new bike.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#8 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Tame those claws Lion_Lady...

Back on track...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your "baby", Ow3ns. On the bright side, you can move on to a different bike and get some different experiences under your belt.

I haven't ridden anything as strong as a Hayabusa, nor do I plan on it, but I can only imagine that CARE is required. Be easy on it, learn it's wicked ways, and don't push it too hard until you are truly comfortable with it.

Just wanted to also say... thanks for your service... :D
Andrea :sun:

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#9 Unread post by Hanson »

Dillon,

Lion_lady dishes out some strong medicine with a bitter taste, but she is not wrong.

Personally, I like the term crash instead accident, and I am not big into assigning blame. That is a task for lawyers, insurance companies, and God. Instead, I try to learn as much as I can from a crash and think hard about what I can do differently to avoid the same situation in the future. I try to look at any crash as a learning opportunity, cheep if it is someone else involved, expensive if I am involved. Objectively, I have no control over what other operators do on the road, I can only control my own behaviour as a rider, so I am most interested in what I can do differently to improve my riding strategies. I think this more important than trying to assign blame.

I don't speak for Lady_lion, and her words where a bit aggressive, but I think her heart is in the right place.

When Wrider asked "Was the accident that totaled the 600 your fault?", I think he was trying to get you to think about the risks involved in owning a bike with massive power, but this question also makes you look at your crash from the perspective of assigning blame.

I think a much better question would be "What did you learn from your 600 crash?"

If you learned nothing from the event, even if you where "blameless", that is a bigger issue than if you learned a lot from a crash where you where primarily at "fault". Even if you ride ATGATT, please don't forget that it is the grey matter inside your skull that has the greatest impact on your personal safety. How safe you are going to be on the Busa is primarily contingent on nothing more than your attitude and commitment to safety.

All that said, I would like to extend a most warm welcome to you as you join the Total Motorcycle Forum. Moreover, I thank you for the gift of your service in defence of our nation and pray for you safe and rapid return. May God see you safely home. You are one of the "we few, we happy few".

Safe Travels,
Richard
Earl of Westmoreland

O that we now had here
But one ten thousand of those men in England
That do no work to-day!

King Henry V.

What's he that wishes so?
My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin:
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires:
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England:
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more, methinks, would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made
And crowns for convoy put into his purse:
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is called the feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in his mouth as household words
Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.
Henry V - Act 4, Scene 3 - The English Camp.
ImageImage

ronrex
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2000 Kawasaki zrx1100

#10 Unread post by ronrex »

I went from a nearly 9 year layoff and my previous bike was a kz650. I jumped directly to a zrx1100, so the transition may be similar.

The kz needed to be wound up a little. Not so with the ZRX. judicious right hand is recommended for awhile.

The brakes are WAY better on my newer bike...not sure how a BUSA brake compares to a 600 ss but there is probably something to get used to about it.

I would just say generically, go easy for awhile and get the feel of it...take it to a parking lot with some cones and practice low speed stuff, since it's probably heavier than you're used to...and longer...and torquier.

Good luck. just be careful and use your experience.