scooter12
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Honda Rebel 250/ Roketa Bali 250

How fast did you break in a motorcycle?

#1 Unread post by scooter12 »

See, my wife has a little over 100 miles on her Honda Rebel.. Had it 6 months.. She wants to break it in right, but don't ride enough.. I don't say anything, because I don't want to hurt her feelings, but a bike required riding to break in properly. My 250cc scooter was broke in within 1 month. Changed the oil.. Her motorcycle without breaking it in, the oil will go bad. Can you all give me tips on what to do? Thanks
Attachments
212.JPG
212.JPG (115.16 KiB) Viewed 18674 times

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: How fast did you break in a motorcycle?

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

The things you can do is change the oil every three months...and invite her to go with you every time you ride your scooter. :lol:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

MmeMagpie
Elite
Elite
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C

#3 Unread post by MmeMagpie »

Does she even like riding? It's a serious question. I had 100 miles on the odometer in the first 2 hours I owned my bike, and logged about 700mi/month ever since.

Help her find some ladies riding groups. Show her some nice, country roads and take her out for lunch.
Ooooooh. Shiny!

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#4 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

The ride home
there aint nothin like it

skilzox
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 1992 yamaha rs

#5 Unread post by skilzox »

After 20 plus years as a factory Honda motor cycle tech , at pre delivery inspection and road test , trust me , most new bikes have already seen the upper rev range before the customer gets it .

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#6 Unread post by ZooTech »

skilzox wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:16 pm After 20 plus years as a factory Honda motor cycle tech , at pre delivery inspection and road test , trust me , most new bikes have already seen the upper rev range before the customer gets it .

Not to mention a lot of manufacturers, such as Kawasaki, dyno their bikes right off the assembly line and record the baseline with the VIN barcode. Most break-in recommendations come from Legal, not Engineering.

catster
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: KTM 500 EXC-F.

#7 Unread post by catster »

MmeMagpie wrote: Thu May 23, 2013 2:35 pm Does she even like riding? It's a serious question. I had 100 miles on the odometer in the first 2 hours I owned my bike, and logged about 700mi/month ever since.

Help her find some ladies riding groups. Show her some nice, country roads and take her out for lunch.
Agree. It might be a reason. Maybe she even doesn't want it.

Campos
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: bmw

#8 Unread post by Campos »

Most experts consider the first 500 miles as a reasonable and sufficient break-in period. The reasoning behind this practice is that keeping revs relatively low helps the piston rings seal against the cylinder bores properly.

Spalding56
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: abc

#9 Unread post by Spalding56 »

scooter12 wrote: Sat May 18, 2013 4:13 pm See, my wife has a little over 100 miles on her Honda Rebel.. Had it 6 months.. She wants to break it in right, but don't ride enough.. I don't say anything, because I don't want to hurt her feelings, but a bike required riding to break in properly. My 250cc scooter was broke in within 1 month. Changed the oil.. Her motorcycle without breaking it in, the oil will go bad. Can you all give me tips on what to do? Thanks
A new motorcycle's breaking-in period lasts for about the first 500 - 1000 miles on the road. This procedure is typically what manufacturers and enthusiasts call the technique for operating the bike when it is new.

kameshbhai511
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: Royal Enfield

#10 Unread post by kameshbhai511 »

A new motorcycle's breaking-in period lasts for about the first 500 - 1000 miles on the road. This procedure is typically what manufacturers and enthusiasts call the technique for operating the bike when