taxman1965
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2005 Honda Shadow Aero

Deer

#1 Unread post by taxman1965 »

How many of you have ever encountered a deer while riding and did you avoid it or hit it? Obviously, they're a common problem for most riders, unless you live and ride in the city. I'm curious as to how you handled it, what speed were you riding at, and how did you come out of it? I live in a wooded area and I rarely, if ever, ride after 8pm. Whitetails like to get active around here (Northern New York) at that time. I've only ridden at night once since I started riding last summer and I did see two jump across the road on my way home. Fortunately, I was going very slow (around 35) and I picked them up with my high beam. I saw them in plenty of time. I'm a little freaked out by the threat of them, but not much I can do unless I stop riding. There was a guy in our area that was injured yesterday in a motorcycle/deer accident and he ended up with head injuries according to the news...no other details. Kind of scary...

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

Re: Deer

#2 Unread post by madjak30 »

I had a deer experience...

I came around the corner just before sunset last season...there they were, standing on the road staring at me. Two Mule Deer. I was going 110kph (about 65mph) and not enough time to stop, so I went between them. One in each lane, both facing the opposite side of the road. If one of them had bolted I'd have been really hurt or dead. I passed by the one on the left so close I'm sure it could have licked me, but neither moved and everything was fine except my heart was racing a mile a minute...I was lucky!

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#3 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I'd say as long as you're following safe riding procedures (speed limits, adjust for conditions) you should be fine. As many deer as there are in your area (my fiancée lived about an hour north of you in st Lawrence county so I'm familiar with how many white tails you will see at a time) I'd say you're more likely in danger from other vehicles then the Bambi's.

Night riding isn't actually when you're in more danger from deer either, but more so at dusk or at dawn. So ride accordingly and be vigilant in areas where you've seen them before and you should be safe.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

taxman1965
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by taxman1965 »

NorthernPete wrote:I'd say as long as you're following safe riding procedures (speed limits, adjust for conditions) you should be fine. As many deer as there are in your area (my fiancée lived about an hour north of you in st Lawrence county so I'm familiar with how many white tails you will see at a time) I'd say you're more likely in danger from other vehicles then the Bambi's.

Night riding isn't actually when you're in more danger from deer either, but more so at dusk or at dawn. So ride accordingly and be vigilant in areas where you've seen them before and you should be safe.
I definitely don't ride much at all around dusk, which is after 8:15 or so now. As you know, whitetails are all over the place here in NY, and the DEC will not open doe season to rifle hunters around here so there's an abundance of them. Hell, the deer keep auto body shops in business around here. :roll:

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

If by "encounter" you mean drive right by them, yes, it happens all too frequently, especially in fall. I try not to be on the road on a motorcycle at dusk during the rut. Had them in the road right in front of me twice last fall. On my daily commute there are places I know are hot spots for deer, and I'm especially vigilant in those places.

Law of averages, I'm probably gonna get nailed some year. :cry:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#6 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I can not even count how many times I have seen or had near hits it's just one of the common problems here in northern NJ. But I surprisingly have hit more dogs than deer but it's equally damming experience I would guess.
there aint nothin like it

taxman1965
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by taxman1965 »

BRUMBEAR wrote:I can not even count how many times I have seen or had near hits it's just one of the common problems here in northern NJ. But I surprisingly have hit more dogs than deer but it's equally damming experience I would guess.
Have you ever crashed from hitting a dog or deer?

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#8 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

I used to commute to work at 3:30 am. In the summer that was the best time to ride (temperature wise). No traffic either. If its your regular commute, you learn where the deer "hang outs" are. Where they're most likely to cross the road, etc. Then again, during mating season, all bets are off. But up your way, its likely going to be colder than here in MD, and folks don't ride as much.

Things I've observed, in general: If deer are standing in a field or open area and there is "cover" on the other side of the road, they'll CROSS when they hear you coming. If they're standing in a brushy or covered area, they'll usually stay put. If you see one deer cross, SLOW DOWN, there may be more...
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#9 Unread post by sapaul »

Dear J.K. Rowling,

Your books are entirely unrealistic. I mean, a ginger kid with two friends?

Sincerely, Anonymous
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#10 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »