Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 1981 GN400

GN400

#1 Unread post by Avilester »

Hey all,
New to the site i recently got a GN400 for the best price possible. It is a 1981 GN400 but i am not sure if it is a 400E, 400XX, or 400TX. Even the title shows just GN400. Does anyone know how to tell the difference betwen these model types? Thanks in advance for the help.

Abel

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: GN400

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Howdy Able, and welcome to the forum. I looked around the Internet and found a L model and a TD model. I couldn't really tell the difference but they have a standard, a cruiser, and a touring models
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Interesting. I know back then manufacturers sometimes referred it to the wheels (spoke or cast mag, as well as if it had disc or drum brakes in the front). Ie. The Suzuki GS550E had spoke wheels, the non-E had Mag wheels and disc brake rear.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Avilester
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by Avilester »

Ive seen this before but i a have read where people atlk about having both spoked and mags on same bikes. My bike has the Mag wheels on it the title says that it is a GN400 and that is it. no letters. I was looking up parts for it and found that some of the patrs change like the throttle cable and other parts like that with different letters.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Hmmm, it then could be the "cruiser" version vs the "standard" version (as Johnj pointed out) as the cruiser version had different handlebars.

Back then, the majority of the parts where the same though as Cruiser really just meant different bars, seat and sometimes chrome parts.

Ie. Both 1980 Honda 400's, standard is a CB400T, the other is a CBM400T (CM400T/CM400)

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#6 Unread post by sapaul »

Try a VIN checker it might give more info
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

Avilester
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by Avilester »

Thanks for all of the input guys. Sapaul ive typed it into CARFAX and it came up as the same. GN400 with no letter...