Western Washington rides

oehlerts
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Western Washington rides

#1 Unread post by oehlerts »

Ok, so I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that even after growing up in western Washington, I am having a hard time thinking of some good rides out here :oops:. Since this is the first time I've owned a bike, I've never looked at this area with that perspective. I know there have got to be some great lonely back roads around here and the landscape just can't be beat as far as variety with the puget sound on one side and the cascades on the other...

So, does anyone out there with knowledge of this area know of some good rides? or does anyone know of a good resource to find this kinda info?
2005 Boulevard C50 - my bike, my freedom

Doggy Boy
Regular
Regular

Western wa. riding

#2 Unread post by Doggy Boy »

I am new to this as well. Been exploring back roads in and around Seattle too.

I like to go out May Valley rd. starts just out of Newcastle and ends at Issaquah hobart. Take that one too. Issaquah hobart to hobart then to Ravensdale on to Konasket/Cumberland and eventually to Enumclaw.

After that take hwy 410 up to Rainier. Lots of bikers on this road - I think making it around Rainier or coming back from Yakima.

Take care and definitely watch out - crazy cagers abound.
DOG IS MY CO-PILOT

Buelligan
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by Buelligan »

There is a super nice loop, from Spokane take Hwy. 2 west to Wilbir then 174 to Grand Coulee, then 155 through the Reserve to Omak then take the 97 to Tonasket, the Hwy 20 to Kettle Falls, then #95 or 25 back to Spokane.

That whole area is beautiful! Try a trip over the line too, we have some pretty nice roads down here too.

Cheers,
Jan
Black - 2004 Buell XB9S Lightening

honda599
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by honda599 »

I love to come down and ride in Washington. Many of your roads are in great condition, with beautiful scenery and twisty roads to explore. Interesting places- La Conner, Port Gamble, Poulsbo, Anacortes, Leavenworth, Winthrop, Deception Pass, Port Townsend, Fort Casey, Grand Coulee

-Hood Canal east and west side
-I-20 Northern Cascades to Winthrop
-Mt. Rainer, Hwy 410 from west rough, east side nice
-I-20 west, Whidbey Island, La Conner, Chuckanut in Bellingham
-Port Angeles-Hurricane Ridge to Crescent Lake
-Seattle to Mount Baker Hwy 9
-Grand Coulee and most secondary roads in north eastern Washington
-Mt Saint Helens area -Windy Ridge
-I understand I-90 is nice - ranked as National Scenic Byway

rubthebuddha
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by rubthebuddha »

You ought to do the loop around the Olympic Peninsula. I'm sure you've spent some time over there yeah? I just got my bike so I haven't done it yet, but it's on my list.

Also Highway 20 through the North Cascades would be awesome.

honda599
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by honda599 »

I have been on Olympic Peninsula 101 and La Push off Hwy 110 was very nice. Heading south on 101 you see a little of the ocean near Kalaloch but the rest is mostly inland with only the forest to view. Ocean Shores and around Aberdeen and further south is nice. I would recommend riding from Olympia over to Aberdeen then south to Astoria, Oregon. If you head west from Port Angeles go to La Push and Neah Bay via Crescent Lake-don't forget Hurricane Ridge.....nice roads for a bike!

Check out my photo blog below:

oehlerts
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by oehlerts »

Hey thanks everyone! you all have some great ride ideas...i know about hwy 20, been waiting to do that one (wanted to get a bit more experience)...keep the ideas comin'!
2005 Boulevard C50 - my bike, my freedom