Swampcrawler
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Funds yet to permit

Too big for sport bike?

#1 Unread post by Swampcrawler »

Let me start by saying that iv spent about the last 6 hours reading this forum. This is a great group of very knowledgable, extremely friendly guys to say the least. I'm excited to be a member of the forum, if not yet a rider.

A bit of an introduction; my name is Trey, born an raised in south Louisiana. Currently I can't even begin to afford a bike. Righ out of highschool I jumped into a dead end career (kind of the lower end of industrial safety), and after a year, realized it was terrible and jumped out. I'm making ends meet working for family until I can get started with something in the heavy equipment operator field.

So I'm using my time as a pennieless 20 year old to read and learn as much as possible. Iv totally fallen in love with "power cruisers" as I refer to them. The Harley Vrod being my favorite, followed by the triumph... I wanna say thunderbird something, the rocket III, Victory Hammer, and if you would put it in the same category, the Vmax.
(I know these are NOT starter bikes. Just giving an idea of my taste)

Anyway, to the point of this post, I'm 20 years old, 6 foot6 and about 320 pounds. So I'm a big guy but not of greater circumference than hight. Iv always just ignored the sports bikes as I believed I couldn't fit on one. Would anyone recomend a sport bike for a guy my size? Especially a good low powered starter bike that can handle my weight?

Thanks for your time guys, looking forward to your advice.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Too big for sport bike?

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Hello Trey and welcome to the forum. I'm thinking smaller cruiser like a Yamaha 650 or the Honda 650. Good luck.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#3 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Any of the adventure style bikes would work very nicely for you as well. The Triumph Tiger,The Buell Uly, The KTM adventurer,even the kawasaki versys which is the best bargin of them all as a 650 parrelel twin used about 3500 would work as it fits the bill for both the cruiser and sportbike IMO :mrgreen:
there aint nothin like it

Swampcrawler
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Funds yet to permit

#4 Unread post by Swampcrawler »

Thanks for the replies guys. Iv looked at the adventure type bikes, but I really can't stand the looks of them. They would actually probably be ideal for the back country roads riding im interested in, but I just don't care for them.

I went down to the local Honda dealership today and looked around. I didn't even try sitting on a CBR as the 250 looked like something id carry my lunch in. But I did really like the Shadow Phantom 750. I love the looks of it, and while im sure I still look like a bear on a unicycle, sitting on it is really comfy to me. So I suppose il be sticking to naked cruisers.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

Nah you're not too big. 6'2" 330 here.

I'd check any of the 650 sportbikes, 650 dual sports, or 750 cruisers.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Chabu
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2013 Triumph Tiger 800

#6 Unread post by Chabu »

I started with a 2007 Honda Shadow vlx 600. It's a great starter bike and really handles well. You can pick up a used one at a fairly reasonable price. I would not recommend buying a new bike as your first bike as you'll likely want something completely different once you start riding. I was always kind of set on cruisers but now after riding a bit decided I prefer a different riding position and will probably go with an "adventure-lite" bike like the new Honda cb500x.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#7 Unread post by madjak30 »

Most of these guys are steering you away from sportbikes becuase of the rep they have...most guys start on a 600cc (which earned the term "crotch rocket" for a reason...too much to start on)...but if you look at the Ninja 500R or the Suzuki GS500F...they can both be bought fairly cheap and are decent starter bikes for the "larger" amung us ;-)

I'm no where near your height (I'm 5'11), but when I started riding I was 285...so you are just a taller version of where I was. If you can afford a newer bike, or when you are ready...these are good starters...

Yamaha FZ6R
Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Suzuki GSX650F
Honda CBR500R

They are fuel injected and a nicer, easier way to go...but if funds are tight the first two are good choices...
Good luck buddy.
Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#8 Unread post by Wrider »

I will chime in and say that I don't recommend the fz6r due to the fact it's based on the r6 motor.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#9 Unread post by jmillheiser »

Swampcrawler wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. Iv looked at the adventure type bikes, but I really can't stand the looks of them. They would actually probably be ideal for the back country roads riding im interested in, but I just don't care for them.

I went down to the local Honda dealership today and looked around. I didn't even try sitting on a CBR as the 250 looked like something id carry my lunch in. But I did really like the Shadow Phantom 750. I love the looks of it, and while im sure I still look like a bear on a unicycle, sitting on it is really comfy to me. So I suppose il be sticking to naked cruisers.
Sounds like you may have found a good candidate already. The shadow 750 is an excellent entry level cruiser. For your first bike I would suggest trying to find one used since you will probably end up dropping it once or twice while learning. If you are looking for something sportier maybe look into the Kawasaki ninja 650, it will probably fit your frame better than a a supersport and is far easier for a new rider to manage from a power standpoint. The suzuki SV650/Gladius might work, but they are a bit smaller in terms of room than the ninja. The Suzuki V-strom and Kawasaki Versys would probably be the best in terms of being friendly to the long legged, but you already said you aren't fond of their styling.

rharpel
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: none

#10 Unread post by rharpel »

Since you like the power cruisers and also like sport bikes you should check out the new Honda CTX700N. Its kind of a cross between the two.