sfgordon57
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2012 Suzuki s40 650cc

Best tires for on-road stability?

#1 Unread post by sfgordon57 »

I've got a 2012 Suzuki s40 650 with less than 500 miles on it. I'm getting wobble and shimmy. I'd like suggestions on tires with treads that reduce or eliminate road wobble. Thanks.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Best tires for on-road stability?

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Hello Sandra and welcome to the forum. Your tires shouldn't be wore out after only 500 miles. you might want to check your tire balance. I'd look at the fork bearing or the swing arm bearing to see if one or both are loose. Or the axle's front or back could be loose. If you really want better tires Avon or Pirelli make better tires, but you'll pay dearly for them. How about showing us a picture of your S40?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#3 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Don't forget to check the air pressure. Motorcycles need air every week.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

If your bike is a 2012 with only 500 miles, the chance of a bearing being worn out is minimal. Manufacturing defect is a possibility though. Your profile says you have 1 year experience - you might want to take the bike to a dealer and let an experienced mechanic check it out. But first, as Storysunfolding said, check the air pressure.

Assuming there's nothing wrong with the bike and the tires are inflated correctly, can you tell us more about when you're getting the wobble and shimmy? Is it general riding, or is it related to something specific such as grooved pavement, steel grid bridge decking, etc.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

sfgordon57
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by sfgordon57 »

I feel the wobble and shimmy on grooved roads like highways and especially on the freeway.

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#6 Unread post by Johnj »

Inflate your tires to 39 or 40 psi and that the way it's going to be. I still want to see a picture of your bike.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#7 Unread post by gsJack »

sfgordon57 wrote:I've got a 2012 Suzuki s40 650 with less than 500 miles on it. I'm getting wobble and shimmy. I'd like suggestions on tires with treads that reduce or eliminate road wobble. Thanks.
sfgordon57 wrote:I feel the wobble and shimmy on grooved roads like highways and especially on the freeway.
Now we know what you're asking. I don't know offhand what tires they are putting on the S40 now but some tires are much better than others on construction groves and road situations like open grate bridges, etc. My all time favorite front for stability in these situations is the tread pattern on the Metzeler Lasertec (same as old ME-33 Laser) but they've become quite pricey here. Next is my current Avon Roadrider, I've been using the Roadriders for the last 40k of my over 400k miles.

While the front tire is most noticeable in these wobble inducing situations a badly squared rear can be just as bad if not worse. I had an Avon AM52 rear (a tire that started with a square shape and was worn even worse) on once when I hit very wiggly construction grooves that must have been cut by a drunk LOL and my bike was uncontrollable, had to tack (sp?) off them like a sailboat heading into the wind. Changed the rear only next morning and went back and just sailed smoothly over the same grooves.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#8 Unread post by Wrider »

It could also be the mere fact that you're riding a smaller bike on the highway, and as you're getting more comfortable, you're noticing every little shimmy and wobble it does instead of concentrating on the big picture like you used to. I did the same thing on my old Volusia.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#9 Unread post by dr_bar »

Death grip on the bars also translates everything into a w bobble sometimes...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

sfgordon57
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by sfgordon57 »

I ordered some Metzeler 880s. I hope this solves it. Thanks for your input. I'll let you know how they work out.