RatBike26
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 1981 Suzuki GN400 Rat

Help Plz..

#1 Unread post by RatBike26 »

Ive got a 1981 Suzuki Gn400. Ive had it running all summer, let a friend ride a bit while i was on his 4-wheeler. he set it down on its right side in the dirt at a low speed. He didn't really mess anything up except it won't start. it gets gas but no spark. I've tracked the power coming out of magneto to computer to ignition coil to ignition switch and kill switch.. Ive got the 6volts power everywhere except coming out of the ignition coil to the spark plug.. I only get 2volts of power there. I bought a used coil and still same problem.. am i not getting good ground or am i going to have to buy a brand spanking new ignition coil????? Help Plz...

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: Help Plz..

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Austin, welcome to TMW and thanx for joining. You wont find a more helpful or friendly community of riders anywhere on the net.

I don't have as much technical knowledge as some of our other members, but I'm positive someone with exactly the insight you need will be along shortly. Until then, head over to the Cool Wall and check out the rankings for 2013, and cast your vote on this week's bike -- it's a Zuke too.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=48697

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#3 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Do I understand that you put your voltmeter on the spark plug side of the coil? Yikes! Don't do that! There should be about 15,000 volts there when the engine is being cranked or running.

My suspicion is that a connector has been loosened or broken during the laydown.

Check for voltage at the low voltage terminals on the coil WHILE CRANKING the engine. You should see voltage jumping as the ignition power goes on and off to the coil. Ignition key on but motor not turning doesn't tell you anything useful. The coil is intermittently powered in order to generate high voltage that is used to cause spark.

What's probably easier is to disconnect the coil and measure continuity (resistance) between the terminals. You should see a nearly zero resistance connection because you are measuring the resistance of a very long wire (that's 'coiled' inside the coil). If you get very, very high resistance (millions of ohms) that means the wire is broken inside.
You should also measure from the spark plug wire connection to the other terminals. One should read totally open (no connection), the other should be very low - again measuring a very long wire.

If the coil checks ok then look more closely at the connectors and wires that fit onto the coil.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

#4 Unread post by dirt dobber »

I know very little about bikes But, I'm thinking on a lay down it shut off every thing, like a safety switch or kill switch.
mine has a kill switch button, when I get it serviced they bring it back & flip kill switch & when I get on it turn key to start it woun't do anything, I had to figure out why.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#5 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Look at your kill switch you probably broke the switch when you dropped it, then check the headlight that is if the ign fuses are good that should be your first look see.
there aint nothin like it

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#6 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

BTW 6 volts? there is 12 ormally
there aint nothin like it