ddavitt
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: 2002 V Star Classic

Novice Touring Question

#1 Unread post by ddavitt »

I ride a 1986 Honda V-65 that I am planning on taking a trip to Utah in May with . Not much luggage or storage space on them , but I'm working on that .

My question is , with limited space for storage and holding gear for a week-long trip , I have room for one set of riding gear. I have a set of light leathers for "Winter Riding" in and around Phoenix AZ. I am wondering if the more experienced riders here have considered or tried using "CampDry" (silicone spray water-proofing) or similar products for rain proofing their riding gear for possible inclement weather on road trips ? It seems like a good idea to me as it doesn't add any appreciable weight and provides some protection .

Let me clarify this , I'm not advocating or anticipating/endorsing any kind of riding in wet weather . Aside from the safety concerns of riding in rain , I'm also interested in providing myself the best possible chance of maintaining some degree of comfort should I encounter bad weather until I can find a place to hole up and dry out during a long road trip .

Any thoughts , suggestions or experiences would be most welcomed ! :cowboy:

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: Novice Touring Question

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

I did a 6 week tour on a 1982 CB900F (in 1983). Had a rear rack and used soft saddlebags. Bungeed a tent, sleeping bag, ground pad and a misc gear bag across the passenger seat. Was plenty sufficient stowage - perhaps because I wore almost all the clothes I brought every day due to lower than expected temperatures. Rode across Tennessee in the rain. Then some more in Kansas - after dark (never again!)

I don't think there is any substitute for a real rainsuit. Waterproofing your leathers isn't anywhere near as good as vinyl for keeping water out.
You'll also find that getting good waterproof gloves is tricky and carrying rubber overboots or gaiters to cover your boots is necessary.
Riding in an East-coast summer rainstorm is vastly different from riding in a Colorado high-country hailstorm. The low altitude storms aren't as life-threateningly cold. Keeping hands warm is important and not easily accomplished.

Riding in the rain isn't bad when your gear is keeping you warm and dry so long as you're not in traffic. Country roads are just fine though you have to watch for mud tracked out onto the roadway by tractors as they exit the fields.

A buddy of mine says "riding in the rain is ok until your underwear gets wet."
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#3 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I actually really enjoy riding in a nice summer rain. But frogtoggs will fit the bill nicely.
there aint nothin like it

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

BRUMBEAR wrote:I actually really enjoy riding in a nice summer rain. But frogtoggs will fit the bill nicely.
Maybe it's pleasant in New Jersey. (I remember similar in Virginia)

But out here that's a recipe for hypothermia. Thunderstorms drop air temps from 90F to 40F or so and the rainwater/hailstones are near freezing.

Best to be prepared for both.
Ron

1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

Can't comment on CampDry, I haven't used it. I second the opinion about a rain suit, you can find ones that pack down very small. Check out Frogg Toggs Ultra-Lites. I always carry a rainsuit when touring, and water proof gloves (Olympia 4370's, also take up very little space). My regular boots (Alpinestar Roam boots) are also pretty water resistant.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

ddavitt
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: 2002 V Star Classic

#6 Unread post by ddavitt »

Thanks for the replies !

Looks like I will be investing in a rainsuit for riding then !

Most of the mileage will be on interstates , I-17 and or I-15 , but am looking forward to some mountain pass and twisty canyon riding as well maybe 89A

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#7 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

Yeah I hear ya GS :P I was up in Laconia a couple years back and we did the Kank and it was 38 degrees and pouring with about 20 feet visability NOT FUN. But a nice summer rain can be enjoyable we do get them here now and again, it can be very refreshing I have been in some Biblical stuff that was outright scary but they are far and few between.
there aint nothin like it

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#8 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Looks like everyone else has this topic pretty well cornered. (-:

So allow me to ask, whereabouts in Utah are you headed?

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

ddavitt wrote:Thanks for the replies !

Looks like I will be investing in a rainsuit for riding then !

Most of the mileage will be on interstates , I-17 and or I-15 , but am looking forward to some mountain pass and twisty canyon riding as well maybe 89A
Utah in May---- my big tour was April and May. I was cold almost the whole time. Wore my rainsuit almost the whole time.
I hope you are better dressed than I was.
Be prepared for the odd snowstorm. Here at 5000' we get the occasional snow in May. But it can also be warm. In the same day :-)
Higher altitudes (such as the mountain passes) will still have roadside snow.

Mostly interstate - ugh. To me that's not touring. That's enduring.
If you have time, take the smaller roads. More history, more scenery and even friendlier. Farmers in Kansas will give you the two-finger steering wheel wave when they see you out on their lonely roads. And folks may stop and talk to you in the small town restaurants.

Anyway, have a good time!
Ron

1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#10 Unread post by Johnj »

I have to agree with GS, the back roads are better then the Interstate. I took US-50 out to CA, and back, a couple of years ago. It was beautiful.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.