Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: Discuss: What was your first experience on a motorcycle

#11 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Brumbear, I must've been the same age or slightly younger when my folks gave me one of these. Best toy ever!

"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#12 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

OH I HAD one as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
there aint nothin like it

TourGAL2012
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2012/Yamaha/950Tourer

#13 Unread post by TourGAL2012 »

My first experience was purchasing a Yamaha 80 cc. My brother, also, had a 80 cc. Together we traveled the back roads and dirt roads. It was so much fun, especially going over the mountain from Stamford to Bennington, Vt. and back by way of Williamstown, Ms. The early 60's did not seem to be as dangerous as today on the highways and byways. Rides are more powerful, as well. It seems that once you've experienced riding you never lose that desire.

Jarlaxle
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2014 Harley SPortster 1200 Touring

#14 Unread post by Jarlaxle »

Rode some sort of mini-dirtbike when I was about eleven. I managed a couple hundred yards and it died.

Rode my friend's little scoot (Chinese Jonway "Islander 50") a few times...then did the MOST class on a 250 Nighthawk.

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha VX950(bolt)

Re: Discuss: What was your first experience on a motorcycle or S

#15 Unread post by Jamers! »

my very first time on two motorized wheels was when i was 15. A family friend was having his bachelor party in the desert. The plan was for a bunch of us to all go out there with 2 RVs, camp, blow "poo poo" up and ride dirt bikes.

After about 10 mins of what levers and what pedals do what i was sent off. I already knew how to drive a manual car (well as well as a 15 year old can!) so the gears werent too hard!

Flying around the big open dunes and up and down little rollers at high speed was just amazingly fun. I tried to get a lil air once, ended poorly, with the bike caught reved up and my wondering how to approach a spinning bike!

even with that slight mishap, i knew i was hooked. I loved the wind in my face, the control you feel when your body is part of your movements and the machine reacts to you.

It would be 3 years till i would ride again, but I had not forgotten and now, even 11 years later i remember how big my smile was on that day and how much fun i was having. It is those memories that have brought me to riding full time.
Insert something clever and showing an understanding of motorcycle culture here

ATGATT

Sev wrote:What's a bike?
JWF505 wrote:its like a goat, but with two wheels.
JWF

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#16 Unread post by jaskc78 »

My first experience was riding behind my dad on an old Kawasaki cruiser -- I think it was a 250 -- that my oldest brother had bought. At the time, my brother didn't have a motorcycle endorsement on his license so my dad would take it out from time to time and run it a bit.

We rode out to visit some friends of the family and I can remember hanging on around my dad's waist and being terrified every time I could feel him shift his weight and lean the bike under us. I think I was maybe 10 or 11 at the time.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

#17 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

In the early 1960's US Naval Aviators brought back flocks of Japanese motorcycles on the hangar decks of aircraft carriers when they returned from deployment to the Pacific.

My Dad brought home a Honda Cub 50cc fire-breathing motorcycle. Some of his buddies had Trail 70s and maybe a 90.

There was an enclosed kind of flattish box behind the rider's seat with a hand grab rail. So I rode behind him sitting on the steel box holding onto the chrome grab bar.

We went lots of places in San Diego. But since I was about 7 or 8 years old I only have vague ideas of where we really went.

We worked me up to starting it and doing circles in the street. Then, because he had another deployment coming up and I wouldn't be adequately supervised and knew enough to get into trouble - he sold it. I understand that bike did many, many years more service with the teenage son of his friend.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

HalfBreed
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 45
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki 1600 Vulcan Classic

#18 Unread post by HalfBreed »

I was 12 and a friend had a Honda 65, I was "dog" riding one day and he offered to let me drive and I sure as crap wasn't going to refuse, and he stopped in the middle of ths city street with little to no traffic. He steps off lets me slide up. So I'm sitting there with a "poo poo" eating grin twisting the throttle & all of the sudden the bike jumps straight in the air dumping me on my back & my buddy laughing so hard he couldn't stand up. Seems he omited one little fact about his beloved little bike. Seems that it had a habit of slipping into gear on it's own so kinda exscpeted that maybe somethingmight happed & of course it did. I wiil never forget that day and that moment as long as I'm alive. I never looked back and have been riding ever since.I'm 58 about to turn 59.

HalfBreed

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#19 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Good story Ed.

:D