Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#11 Unread post by Gadjet »

I've got an '05 KLR650.

wonderful bike. The Wee-Strom is not worth the additional money over the KLR (in my opinion)

Check out http://www.klr650.net for lots of info on the KLR. Some of the guys on that board ride their KLR's thousands of miles a year, through all kinds of terrain and weather.

KLR650's have also competed in the Iron Butt Rally, and have been used for shorter endurance rides as well. I'm using mine for daily commuting as well as long distance touring and endurance riding.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

AmericanWeiner
Veteran
Veteran

#12 Unread post by AmericanWeiner »

Surge wrote:
ZooTech wrote:I see a Ninja 500R and some bags from eBay in your future.
I'm physically unable to ride sports bikes. Rib injury that was never treated keeps me from leaning forward too far. Plus, I'm not fond of sports bikes to begin with.

Anyone have any thoughts on the KLR650? Is it capable of taking a, say, 9 hour trip from Harlingen to Dallas?
Go sit on one, they feel a lot more standard than sport. Ninja500, that is.
I have no bike. :(
I do have a [url=https://www.mannys.com.au/shop/images/products/fullimages/27.gif]nice guitar[/url], though. :D

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#13 Unread post by jmillheiser »

on the same wavelength as the ninja 500 see also suzuki GS500. Riding position is more upright than a sportbike, and is only a corbin seat and set of bags away from being a nice small touring bike.

Also the standard SV650 would fit this role nicely as well and is cheaper than the Vstrom. Put a small windscreen and bags on an SV650 and you have a nice bike for going long distances on.

As for warranties, most bikes only have a 1 year warranty when new so by the time you start having problems with it its off warranty anyway.

If you are willing to consider used there are other much less expensive options. the mid 80s honda nighthawk SC would make a very nice little touring bike, it has plenty of power, shaft drive, and an upright riding position with near perfect ergos.

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#14 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Are you against cruisers? Or just like the dual-sport look? I'd personally get a Yamaha V-star or something. $6k is really going to limit you on a new bike, especially when you consider tax, tag, dealer costs, etc.

Within your range, I would definitely get the SV650, just personal preference. You would just have to save up for the "touring" parts... most importantly being a comfy seat for long distances.

Surge
Regular
Regular

#15 Unread post by Surge »

Even worse news, my limit's been reduced to $4K. And she is STILL hung on getting something new(for a warranty.) :frusty:
"Oh no! My train of thought derailed!" -Me
"That's it, Grandpa... I challenge you to Mortal Kombat!" -Me

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#16 Unread post by TechTMW »

You don't have much option then. I think you're down to 250cc territory.

Ninja, Rebel, or Hyosung (Alphasports)
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

Surge
Regular
Regular

#17 Unread post by Surge »

Sorry about that, dodged the question. Because of my limitations, the only restriction I'd say is would be no sports bikes. I'd prefer something with high clearance that's capable of traveling as far as possile without becoming disabled. I prefer styles(in this order), Dualsport, standard, tourer, cruiser, trike(does this count?), and sports isn't on there because I'm unable to ride them. I'm pretty screwed, eh? Can any 250 handle long trips?
"Oh no! My train of thought derailed!" -Me
"That's it, Grandpa... I challenge you to Mortal Kombat!" -Me

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#18 Unread post by ZooTech »

Well, someone posted a link to a review of the Yamaha Virago versus the NightHawk 250 versus the Ninja 250 that revealed the Virago is a pretty good bike for its size. Perhaps you should look there.

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#19 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

My hyosung 250 can go as long as I can.... It will get up to 80, but wont have much room past that. Up to 65-70mph, it is fine. Once you are out of the break-in period, it actually is a very peppy 250. The Virago is supposed to be similar, but I liked the hyosung much better.

BTW, Alphasport and Hyosung are the same thing...

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadte ... index.html
Those are probably the bikes closest to your price range.

I was able to get my GV250 for 3k before tag tag and title, but it was still in the crate. All I had to do was assemble the front end, the handle bars, put gas in it, and start riding. Otherwise, I think most places are asking around 4k these days... I'd try to work em down.

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#20 Unread post by cb360 »

Nothing to be done about that 'new' requirement? You're gonna be able to get a lot more bike if you get a model that's even three years old. Warranties aren't all they are cracked up to be. I mean sure, it's a no-brainer if you actually get to use the warranty you are happy to have it. But most new bikes never need any warranty service (please don't jump in all angry if you used your warranty - I said 'most new bikes'). Warranties are nice - they are not worth the extra amount you pay for them.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c