MonicaMcA
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD Road King Classic

Protective Gear

#1 Unread post by MonicaMcA »

Can anyone give thumbs or thumbs down for the Kevlar "infused" jeans? I just got some through mail order, but they sure seem.... thin. At least compared to chaps.

Interested to know if they are worth keeping or not.

Thanks,

Monica

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: Protective Gear

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

MonicaMcA wrote:Can anyone give thumbs or thumbs down for the Kevlar "infused" jeans? I just got some through mail order, but they sure seem.... thin. At least compared to chaps.

Interested to know if they are worth keeping or not.

Thanks,

Monica

Probably better than regular jeans, and most likely offer better butt protection then arseless chaps. Guess it all depends on the brand and how much kevlar is "infused and the location.
Always ask why.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#3 Unread post by Hanson »

Kevlar is a DuPont trade name for a material made from aramid fibers. Aramid fibers are very strong, heat resistant, are resistant to elongation and are resistant to abrasion. They are named after the aramid groop (CO-NH) which form very strong chemical bonds between the phenyl rings of the fibers. It is a good choice of materials for motorcycle gear, but the cotton in jeans is not. How much protection from abrasion a pair of Kevlar infused jeans is going to provide is going to depend quite a bit on the manufacturing of those jeans and how much Kevlar is is used. If there is not much Kevlar in the weave, then there will not be much added protection against abrasion compared to regular jeans and the addition of Kevlar may be little more than a marketing ploy.

A thin pair of pants of any material is not going to offer any significant protection against impact.

Every rider is going to decide for herself, or himself, what level of protective gear they are going to utilize, but I would not expect much protection from motorcycle gear that is focused on fashion rather than protection. This includes motorcycle jeans, leather chaps, leather vests, finger-less gloves, open face helmets... and the list continues. A lot of this gear might have a fashion appeal especially in various motorcycle subcultures, but is not all that functional or protective.

My recommendation would be to choose function over fashion, that is my choice and I use high quality protective gear every time I ride. I respect your right to make these choices for yourself, but it would be foolish to think fashion gear is going to provide the level of protection available in gear that is intended to maximize protection without concessions to fashion.

Safe Travels,
Richard

Just as a fun note --- I have used Kevlar webbing in the recovery harnesses of many rockets that I have designed and built.
ImageImage

MonicaMcA
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD Road King Classic

#4 Unread post by MonicaMcA »

Thanks for the input. Although I can honestly say the jeans are not "fashionable," I expected them to be stiff like the old Toughskins I had to wear as a kid, with more heft. My textile jacket is MUCH
more substantial. There are thicker/ reinforced knees and hips, but still, I was a little suspicious. I'll check the garment tag when I get home.

Hope your riding weather is better than mine. Enjoy your week!

Monica

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#5 Unread post by dr_bar »

Welcome to TMW, riding weather is relatively the same as yours, as I live a whopping 1.25 hours north of you in BC... Sun is shining right now, so I had better get out and get some groceries...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

ceemes wrote:Probably better than regular jeans, and most likely offer better butt protection then arseless chaps. Guess it all depends on the brand and how much kevlar is "infused and the location.
I bought a pair of Draggin' jeans, an Australian brand, and one of the first kevlar jeans makers that I was aware of. I've crashed in them on a freeway at just above 50mph (lost traction on a wet metal bridge expansion joint). After sliding to a stop, the rear pocket (which isn't kevlar infused) tore through, but the main body of the jeans held well, and they're still perfectly useable. I didn't have a single injury, aside from a bit of soreness. Not even bruises. They're much warmer and stiffer than regular jeans, but "I'd rather sweat than bleed", as they say.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."