Zhuk89
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Honda nighthawk cb 250

Nighthawk cb 250 as a first bike?

#1 Unread post by Zhuk89 »

Hey motorcycle dedicated people!! I'm new to the bike world, kinda of getting into it. Will be getting my license pretty soon. So as prior to that I'm looking for a bike. My biker experienced friends suggested to start with something small, under 500cc, otherwise it would be a suicide mission. Searching the almighty www I've really liked the nighthawk cb 250, the older models, prior to 2000. Upon reading on them I found out that they are the perfect beginner bike, but Idk if it will fit me. I'm 6,1 and 220 lb.
BTW what do they usually go for, in running condition, I'm not much of a mechanic, but willing to learn. I live in California, but don't make much, salary wise;)
Alright, I wrote enough for the first post. Again thanks for the future answers!!!!

Bdub
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2012 Vstar 950 Tourer

Re: Nighthawk cb 250 as a first bike?

#2 Unread post by Bdub »

Welcome to the forum. Are you taking the MSF course? I'm not sure how they do it in California but in Maryland it's a requirement to get your license and our MVA offers the course through our county community colleges. I strongly recommend you take the course and it will benefit you greatly. As for the bike, I agree in most instances with what you've been told and most will say start smaller and work your way up in size/power. I disagree that staying under 500cc is a suicide mission, especially for your size. I'm 5'9" and 250 lbs and I started on a VStar 650cc Silverado that was very manageable and provided me many happy miles of riding. I don't know what your budget is but the VStar 650s can be found for good prices. I do my research on Cycle Trader. I recommend going to a few dealers and sit on a few bikes to see how they fit and give yourself a few more options. Whatever bike you get practice as much as you can, read your owner's manual and know when and what needs serviced and enjoy the ride. That's my dime.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I can also recommend the 650 V-Star. I was an absolute beginner....and after the classes I got the Yamaha.

5 years and 50,000 km. It'll go where you need to go. :)

Jarlaxle
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2014 Harley SPortster 1200 Touring

#4 Unread post by Jarlaxle »

The 250 Nighthawk is a throwback the the 70's...anemic 234cc engine that likes to foul plugs, skinny tube tires, and mechanical drum brakes to at least 1997. At 6'1", you will look like a bear on a tricycle. (I'm 3" shorter than you and was crowded on one.)

What is your inseam? Unless you have relatively short legs, most small bikes will be crowded.