What kind of motorcycle would fit a very big guy?

tallone1
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: -

What kind of motorcycle would fit a very big guy?

#1 Unread post by tallone1 »

I'm new here and I'm new in this field too, but I'd love to start taking some courses and start riding a motorcycle. The problem is that I don't know what kind would be suitable for me since I'm very big, 7'2 foot tall and almost 600 lbs. I've tried to find some models that would do it for me, but it didn't work. Maybe you can help me with some suggestions. Thanks in advance!

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: What kind of motorcycle would fit a very big guy?

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

J.C. Waterwalker on a crutch......yer damn near a foot taller than I am.........I guess it all depends on the style of bike you are interested in. I think you can safely rule out most crotch rockets, as it will almost impossible for you to fold yourself on to them, especially the smaller displacement bikes. Given your size and that you are just learning, perhaps looking for a good used Honda Transalp, a bit big in the engine and power department for a n00b rider, but I recall sitting on one at a bike show a couple of years back and flat footing it was a bit of a stretch even for my 6' 3" bod......another challenge you are going to have is finding riding gear, gear manufactures all seem to thing there are no riders over 5' 8" and with waist with a circumference of 28". Best get your gear sorted out first, then worry about getting a bike.
:
Always ask why.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

I'm thinking it would have to be one of the taller adventure tourers or even one of the big dual sports, but I'm concerned about the weight. For example, I own a Suzuki DL1000 V-strom, which has a large enough frame for even a 7-footer. But it's got a max load capacity of only 452 lbs.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#4 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Suzuki DR650? Although it's more of a dual sport than an ADV bike, and max load is likely to be under 500lbs. Heck, the official max load of a BMW GS Adventure is, IIRC, around 420lbs
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#5 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

My instinct was to look at the Victory Cross Country Tour, and although that bike isn't likely to have many fans in this group it is definitely the sort of machine you want when you've got a lot of weight to carry. The CCT is literally designed to carry two people and all their accoutrements in comfort from coast to coast, but even this monster only offers about 500 pounds of payload between it's service weight and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. No bueno.

I couldn't find a published GVWR for the new Honda F6C Valkyrie, but it's arguably as powerful as the CCT but has a curb weight 100 pounds less. If the GVWR is similar to the CCT it might be your best option, but even then we're not accounting for gear and accessories.

Best of luck. :-)

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#6 Unread post by Johnj »

lol
Attachments
0Bigbike.jpg
0Bigbike.jpg (93.88 KiB) Viewed 16259 times
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#7 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Johnj wrote:lol
hahahahahahahaha

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#8 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Wow. That's a new problem! I'm going to suggest that you take a Basic Riders' Course first. Yeah. Having to ride a 250 is going to suck. But it is only for a couple days, and will get you the basic skills. Find a provider that has dual sport bikes as part of their fleet. You'll need the height/leg room. Or most of the little cruiser-style bikes have one piece seats, which will allow you to use the pillion part of the saddle to get the leg room you need. (I've got a 34 inch inseam, and do this myself when riding the little GZ250s for demos - I'm an MSF RiderCoach.)

That accomplished, start looking at bikes. You weigh as much as two riders, and I think that that combined with your height is going to eliminate a lot of the "starter bikes" typically recommended. Consider one of the BMW dual sports like a the 1150 or 1200 GS models - yeah, ugly as snot, but you'll have the leg room you need, and they're dependable bikes. Go for a used one. Or a Gold Wing.

Best of luck!
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

porters55
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 28
My Motorcycle: honda

#9 Unread post by porters55 »

Best of luck!
gambling holiday

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#10 Unread post by Amdonim »

I second the Honda Goldwing F6B. It will probably be a hard bike to learn on, but it's got a lot of space front to back and a big torque motor. If I recall correctly the seat was very wide and long so you'd have room to move around.