huskie_81
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None

First bike help

#1 Unread post by huskie_81 »

Hi guys, I'm a 19 year old looking at getting my motorcycle licence and my first bike. How much power would you veterans say is too much for a total beginner? I'm not looking at getting a liter bike or anything in that class of power.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: First bike help

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

huskie_81 wrote:Hi guys, I'm a 19 year old looking at getting my motorcycle licence and my first bike. How much power would you veterans say is too much for a total beginner? I'm not looking at getting a liter bike or anything in that class of power.
Asking advice like this is a great first step, I applaud your wisdom!

To help, could you answer the following:

1. New or Used bike (if used, what era)

2. What style/type of bike are you leaning towards (sport, cruiser, standard, dual sport, etc)

3. Have you taken your MSF or motorcycle course yet?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

huskie_81
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by huskie_81 »

I'd be looking at getting a new bike.

I haven't taken the MSF course yet, but I intend to take one and get my licence before purchasing a bike.

Here's a list of new bikes I'm looking at, they vary in style and size:

Ducati Scrambler 62
Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
Triumph Bonneville T100
Triumph Scrambler
Kawasaki Ninja 300
Yamaha R3
KTM RC390/390 Duke
KTM 690 Duke
Honda 300 R/F
Honda 500 R/F
BMW G310R

I know I'd be fine on one of the 300 cc class bikes, but would one of the bigger bikes on this list be too big and powerful for a newbie?

Brett

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#4 Unread post by Hanson »

I would not recommend anyone riding a motorcycle in traffic until they have a long, 10 or more years, crash free driving record in traffic.

Until then, I would suggest a bike for track or trail.

I have two boys that are about your age, and motivated by love, this is the advice I would give them and I could not, in good conscience, give different advice to a stranger.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

huskie_81
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by huskie_81 »

There's no track near where I am (as far as I know), and I'm not much into dirt biking or the like.

So, I want a bike for the street.

Would some of the bigger displacement bikes on this list have too much power for me to handle?
I think the most powerful among that list has 75 HP.

Brett

AKjosh36
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 09 buell blast

#6 Unread post by AKjosh36 »

Hey Brett,
Good question, I would whole heartedly recommend one of the 300cc bikes on your list, I started on a 250 in my mid-30s had never even been on a motorcycle before and it served me well while working on start/stop slow speed turns being in traffic etc, but I didn't go on any freeways interstate whatever you want to call them. I also made sure that I could flat foot my bike before buying. There's nothing wrong with getting a used bike to start on either but I understand the appeal of buying new. I like the Yamaha 3 myself. I am currently on a buell blast, it's approximately 500cc but I am glad I rode that 250 for a season and a half to get my bearings.