AmyF27
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 05 Suzuki Boulevard S40

Tire pressures

#1 Unread post by AmyF27 »

I had been going off the sticker on my bike for the last 6 months (well counting winter). Bike shop tech told me thats underinflated for the particular tirea on my bike so he ser them both to 40 psi as theyre not stock tires. The sticker had 29 for front, 33 for rear. Bike is 11 yr old. After the tire pressure change I had mich better control of the bike and a more enjoyable ride.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: Tire pressures

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

40psi for tires on a lightweight bike like yours is a bit too much. Yes, the bike will likely handle differently and be more responsive in the corners, but tread life will be reduced because of the overinflation. If you look on the sidewall of both tires you will see the recommended psi as determined by the manufacturer, this is the rating you should be using. The sticker on your bike has the recommended psi for the OEM tires, which is no longer valid now that you've changed to a different brand.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

Re: Tire pressures

#3 Unread post by Amdonim »

I'm also concerned that's too much pressure. The other problem you might run in to is reduced grip. The harder a tire is the less grip you have because the contact patch is smaller.