mardajane
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha SR400

new bike has no power

#1 Unread post by mardajane »

I am brand new to this so please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject. I purchased a 2015 Yamaha SR400 about a week ago. Next on the list are permit and classes. I live in a apartment with no garage so I secured storage nearby. I've ridden a scooter twice about 5 years ago so I'm literally starting from scratch. My friend got it started this weekend but only once since it's kick start only. I went over to the storage unit earlier this evening to try to kick start it myself, only to find no power. I had power for a few minutes, than nothing. When I first turned the key to on, I noticed the flashers were on. I think my friend hit the button by mistake when she was returning the bike to the storage unit 2 days ago, which may have drained the battery. Since it's kick start only, is the battery required?

T-bone36
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Suzuki vl800

Re: new bike has no power

#2 Unread post by T-bone36 »

Hello I am also new on this and new to motorcycles.I only have a permit and is currently looking for a bike.So your question the bike still needs a little power to start

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

mardajane wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 3:08 pm I am brand new to this so please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject. I purchased a 2015 Yamaha SR400 about a week ago. Next on the list are permit and classes. I live in a apartment with no garage so I secured storage nearby. I've ridden a scooter twice about 5 years ago so I'm literally starting from scratch. My friend got it started this weekend but only once since it's kick start only. I went over to the storage unit earlier this evening to try to kick start it myself, only to find no power. I had power for a few minutes, than nothing. When I first turned the key to on, I noticed the flashers were on. I think my friend hit the button by mistake when she was returning the bike to the storage unit 2 days ago, which may have drained the battery. Since it's kick start only, is the battery required?
Congratulations on the new bike! The SR400 is a classic. :revv:

To answer your question, yes a good battery is still needed to run the bike, although the kick start will work, it's possible the battery is just so run down (or disconnected) the bike won't maintain and idle.

Q. When you turn on the bike, do you get any lights at all?

Q. When kick starting, does it try to start/idle at all?

Q. Have you checked little things like the: Engine kill switch? Gas petcock? Disconnected spark plug cable? Fuses?

Might just be a simple thing.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

SR400 is fuel injected. It needs enough battery power to run the fuel pump enough for the fuel injector to work properly. Sounds like the battery got run pretty flat on your bike.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S