Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: none

New, looking for 1st bike, how are these

#1 Unread post by yoshiii »

Hello

I am new to riding, I have taken the basic riders course and I am ready to get my first bike.

I am 6'1" and 230 lbs.

I have read about and been suggested to get a NInja 250, etc. But I do not want a bike where I will be uncomfortable.
I dont like cruisers or touring bike. I want a sports no ss, or naked sports.

I have a chance to buy a 1987 Honda VF700f Interceptor. I see ads for NInja 500's and Ninja 250's. I also have a chance to buy a Suzuki GS500f.

Would the HOnda be a good buy or is 700cc too much? Its a V4 engine, I have walked the bike with light throttle and it doesnt feel scary. The throttle is not sensitive as many super sports I guess. I am concerned about the weight, its 500lbs.

Should I try a smaller bike or is this one ok?

T-bone36
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: Suzuki vl800

Re: New, looking for 1st bike, how are these

#2 Unread post by T-bone36 »

I just got a bike a few wees ago I got a Vl800 .respect the bike. But not to much power

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

Try looking for a Kawasaki Ninja 650, not the 600RR as that is a full on race machine, the 650. It's bit of a gray area started bike, but probably a better bet then a 30 year old Honda V4. Those machines had a lot of power in their day and could be twitchy.
Always ask why.

VroomyZoomyPants
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 17 Gsxr 600

#4 Unread post by VroomyZoomyPants »

Meh, I'm partial to the gsxr 600 or the r6.

T-bone36
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: Suzuki vl800

#5 Unread post by T-bone36 »

They both are alot of bike for a beginner

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#6 Unread post by jstark47 »

I wouldn't buy a 30-year-old anything for a first bike. I'm assuming you want to ride, not wrench on the bike as a hobby?

Local guy bought a KTM RC390 and let me sit on it. Now, I'm not small- 6'1" 235lbs. I had plenty of room on that RC390. For a first bike, you want something that will let you push the edge of your envelope a little, develop your skills. A 500lb bike with the suspension technology of 30 years ago isn't optimal for that. Get something like that RC390, find a road with a lot of curves..... you won't be bored, believe me, and you'll learn some skills.

Oh, and after you've been riding a few months? Take an advanced rider course, and then go even further and take something like a Lee Parks' total control course. Learn some real skills, not just how to ride fast in a straight line.

Oh, and that GS500F? A late model one in good shape is much preferable to a 30 year old VFR.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by roscowgo »

Keep your eye open for used maxi scoots. I would say in the 300-500cc range. My current ride is a 2007 burgman 650. got it with 6k miles on it. 2500.

It's a hoot to toss into corners. You can fit 4500 cubic tons of groceries on it. keeps the wet off of you. Decent gas mileage. has a center stand. You can move your feet around from full on feet forward cruiser, to directly under your butt and leaned forward toward the bars some.

You'll be more worried about looking like an idiot on a scooter. But that's ok. You'll do stupid stuff like almost, or all the way drop it at stop signs. Put your foot in a hole. Have to catch it when the sidestand isn't all the way down. show up places dripping wet. No matter what you ride.

Not saying All bikes should be scooters for all people blah blah. Just that it's an option, and most likely won't be your last bike.

cherip31
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2017 HD 883 Iron

#8 Unread post by cherip31 »

The first bike I ever rode was a Honda 600 CBR F3, and it was light but had a LOT of power for a newbie. If you like sport bikes, as a first one...I wouldn't go over a 600 to start out...also wouldn't buy anything too old unless you like working on bikes.