Why a 600cc Sportbike is not a good Beginner Bike

c-los
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#21 Unread post by c-los »

enough! dont hijack the thread with this im-better-than-you bulls&?t, who cares...i got great info from this post, and so did a lot of other people, anyone can see, though, that there are no professionals here so some things should be taken with a grain of salt, but there's no need to bash someone for trying to help.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#22 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

"*Post edited by mod* - attacking other members opinions isn't exactly constructive now, is it?"

um, an attack eh. what? because i have the experience to know and disagree with someone who clearly has no first hand knowledge of what they are speaking about?? um. So that gives someone the whim to edit 95% of a posting.

Shutting down someone really ain't much of a productive action there my friends. (Pot, kettle, black. right.) Be real guys. A moderator sharing MISINFORMATION is a heck of a lot worse, than calling him on it dontchya think? geee it's sort of like I was doing something positive correcting a blatantly misguided posting. you guys floor me.

jeesh guys. it's not a game, it's a flat case of someone having experience and someone else not having the experience. He sez he "saw" it... and of course we know he didn't do it... so i hate to point out the obvious but, when you see an airplane take off does that mean you understand all the work/actions/physics at play? nope. same in what WG is seeing. there's alot involved, and what he is seeing isn't what he is saying. man... the blind leading the blind. you guys wanna dream up anything else and live in this fantasy world of unrideable sportbikes.

calling george orwell... 1984 is still alive and well... if the mod didn't say it it can't be true.

:roll:
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#23 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

c-los wrote:enough! dont hijack the thread with this im-better-than-you bulls&?t, who cares...i got great info from this post, and so did a lot of other people, anyone can see, though, that there are no professionals here so some things should be taken with a grain of salt, but there's no need to bash someone for trying to help.
oh look, forum moderators.. i am being attacked by a mr. c-los, mr. NewYork and LA :roll: oh my oh my ;) let's watch the tide of justice... let's... i know how it usually goes around here.

well. mr. LA and NewYork, you are now also Mr. Assumption. Since you opened your mouth, assuming a couple things.

#1) I should add that my team-mate and i won an amateur endurance championship ever so long ago, finishing ahead of some pros along the way.... and i finished 2nd place in two amateur racing championships, losing one championship by a couple points. As you might expect, I was promoted to "Professional status" roadracer. funny eh. i went to University instead of continuing my race "education"... so i have never raced under pro license, but i had beaten some pros in our series' and many years later, when i returned to the track i negotiated a return to Amateur status, in part (and ironically in keeping with this thread) because i didnt ride sportbikes on the street (only on the race track) since i appreciate the finer values a decent street bike offers compared with a pure sport bike.

Soooooo... you see how it is easy to make incorrect assumptions and then make an incorrect statement, or three or six or twelve?

hilariously the bike i just got a few days ago is a reinforcement of how nicely in check my ego is, and how i have no need to sound off to tell people that i am "better" than them... only to correct blatant misinformation.

There are moderators on this forum who know me and can check out my info rather easily. but hey why listen to me, you love to listen to fiction, just as much as WhyteGryphon likes to create it. you guys can live in that fantasy world all you like. many do. i share information based on experience. if you don't want to hear it than move on and live in your dream world with the answers that you want to hear.

I am not bashing the guy for trying to help. If he were REALLY trying to help he would talk from real experience rather than assumed knowledge. I am informing the guy and other beginners reading this info that spreading misinformation has an inverse value to trying to actually help others, and if he would speak from experience he wouldn't have to worry about being so blatantly wrong. Simply, it's like telling a guy to slam the door to get his car to start... not that it wont help the odd car to start on occassion, but it sure aint close to the reality of turning the key.

#2) part of this "great" info you got, which you seem to think many others got as well (and of which in part I am rolling my eyes at incredulously), holds no tangible value. you are latching onto incorrect information as if it had some gold in it. the stuff dreams are made of indeed. Do you get it?

well guys. you really need to open some eyes here... not that i put much faith in anything big changing here, but as always there are a few more people who can gleen a bit of useful info from even worst information. good info like "dont listen to everything you hear"

//monkey
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

c-los
Veteran
Veteran

#24 Unread post by c-los »

Mr. New York and LA...I like the sound of that hehehe 8) :laughing:

iwannadie
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#25 Unread post by iwannadie »

i kind of just started reading all of this, so im not sure of the entire situation. but god i hate when mods step in and act like they know everything to the point that noone can dissagree with them. just because your a mod on a forum doesnt make you the native expert on any given subject.

this is also a forum for people to voice opinions, sure we cant allow endless attacks and flaming because it just gets boring, but at the same time you cant censor everyone because 'you' dont like what they are saying or dont want someones feelings hurt, theres a wavey line that gets drawn at some point which is always unfair to someone along the way.

the bottom line if a mod is giving poor info to new riders which can put them in harms way its good he was corrected by someone with a more proven background. the reader will then decide whos response to trust. if i ever give bad info i really hope people will correct me its the only way to learn.

QuietMonkey wrote:
c-los wrote:enough! dont hijack the thread with this im-better-than-you bulls&?t, who cares...i got great info from this post, and so did a lot of other people, anyone can see, though, that there are no professionals here so some things should be taken with a grain of salt, but there's no need to bash someone for trying to help.
oh look, forum moderators.. i am being attacked by a mr. c-los, mr. NewYork and LA :roll: oh my oh my ;) let's watch the tide of justice... let's... i know how it usually goes around here.

well. mr. LA and NewYork, you are now also Mr. Assumption. Since you opened your mouth, assuming a couple things.

#1) I should add that my team-mate and i won an amateur endurance championship ever so long ago, finishing ahead of some pros along the way.... and i finished 2nd place in two amateur racing championships, losing one championship by a couple points. As you might expect, I was promoted to "Professional status" roadracer. funny eh. i went to University instead of continuing my race "education"... so i have never raced under pro license, but i had beaten some pros in our series' and many years later, when i returned to the track i negotiated a return to Amateur status, in part (and ironically in keeping with this thread) because i didnt ride sportbikes on the street (only on the race track) since i appreciate the finer values a decent street bike offers compared with a pure sport bike.

Soooooo... you see how it is easy to make incorrect assumptions and then make an incorrect statement, or three or six or twelve?

hilariously the bike i just got a few days ago is a reinforcement of how nicely in check my ego is, and how i have no need to sound off to tell people that i am "better" than them... only to correct blatant misinformation.

There are moderators on this forum who know me and can check out my info rather easily. but hey why listen to me, you love to listen to fiction, just as much as WhyteGryphon likes to create it. you guys can live in that fantasy world all you like. many do. i share information based on experience. if you don't want to hear it than move on and live in your dream world with the answers that you want to hear.

I am not bashing the guy for trying to help. If he were REALLY trying to help he would talk from real experience rather than assumed knowledge. I am informing the guy and other beginners reading this info that spreading misinformation has an inverse value to trying to actually help others, and if he would speak from experience he wouldn't have to worry about being so blatantly wrong. Simply, it's like telling a guy to slam the door to get his car to start... not that it wont help the odd car to start on occassion, but it sure aint close to the reality of turning the key.

#2) part of this "great" info you got, which you seem to think many others got as well (and of which in part I am rolling my eyes at incredulously), holds no tangible value. you are latching onto incorrect information as if it had some gold in it. the stuff dreams are made of indeed. Do you get it?

well guys. you really need to open some eyes here... not that i put much faith in anything big changing here, but as always there are a few more people who can gleen a bit of useful info from even worst information. good info like "dont listen to everything you hear"

//monkey

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#26 Unread post by Gadjet »

iwannadie wrote:i kind of just started reading all of this, so im not sure of the entire situation. but god i hate when mods step in and act like they know everything to the point that noone can dissagree with them. just because your a mod on a forum doesnt make you the native expert on any given subject.

this is also a forum for people to voice opinions, sure we cant allow endless attacks and flaming because it just gets boring, but at the same time you cant censor everyone because 'you' dont like what they are saying or dont want someones feelings hurt, theres a wavey line that gets drawn at some point which is always unfair to someone along the way.

the bottom line if a mod is giving poor info to new riders which can put them in harms way its good he was corrected by someone with a more proven background. the reader will then decide whos response to trust. if i ever give bad info i really hope people will correct me its the only way to learn.

Well said

I would like to clarify a few things that appear to be getting lost in the rhetoric.

Yes, I am a moderator on this site. Not on this particular forum section though

I have never claimed to be an expert at anything. There's only one person here doing that.

I have never denied that I have only been riding for a little over one year.

How do you define who is a new rider? QuietMonkey apparently defines it in terms of how many years a person has been riding.

I rode over 10000 miles (16000 km) in my first 9 months of riding, before having to stop for winter. Does this make me a new rider. Does this make me less experienced than someone who has been riding for 5 years but only put 5000 miles on their bike in that time?

You decide.

Anyone that wants to get personal about this or talk to me about things off list, feel free.

Owen
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

Keyoke
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: 1993 Yamaha TDM

#27 Unread post by Keyoke »

Ok, just to point out why i edited QuietMonkey's post. It was simply because It was just an attack on another member. I would have done the same had that member been a Mod or not. There was nothing useful in the post - no reasoning as to why you disagreed with WhyteGryphon, just a personal attack on his experience.

If you wish to post your own personal opinion on what would happen in the given situation, please feel free.
Now, (this goes for everyone) please no more talk about who does, or who does not have experience - all opinions are going to be different, some are more correct than others, but all are welcome to share their view.

So, please, more constructive views to the point in hand, I don't want to have to delete/lock this thread.

Thankyou.
Don't give up.

Not now, not soon, not after being continually knocked down.

If you never give up, you can never truly fail.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/keyoke/Ultima-Dragon-Animated.gif[/img]

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#28 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Well said Keyoke, I think you can get on with this topic and delete any off-topic theads so this really great 600cc sportbike discussion can continue. :D

Mike.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

hambyman
Rookie
Rookie

#29 Unread post by hambyman »

oldnslo wrote:I didn't read it, but I know what it says. And it's all true. We have had visitors here who are convinced they are the exceptions, and it is futile sometimes to try to convince them otherwise. They are more intelligent, more athletic, stronger, and more agile than the norm. Of course, that has little to do with surviving traffic on a motorcycle. Might help if you are stationed in the jungle, though. It has always been our intent to promote safety, education, and improving skills, and most everything else takes care of itself, mainly because those three things are the most important things in a long, satisfying, riding life.
It's incredibly simple.

ok, ill admit, i was one of those guys. SV650S was my first choice. lets just say that has moved on up to being my first choice for a second bike later on in life. still a little nervous about getting a 250 bc ill br driving interstate thru VA quite a bit...would a 500 be a better bet for driving 210 miles every other weekend?
-Hamby

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#30 Unread post by sapaul »

Whilst some of the arguments against a larger cc bike are valid, I cannot agree with a blanket statement against all new riders buying into this catagory. There are far too many variables. As a newbie 25 years ago I rode a 250 dual. Then had 15 years of only riding observed trials. When I got back onto the road I had to take everything that I thought I knew and throw it away. The bikes had changed, the technology had changed, riding skills had changed. I was a newbie again. The bike I chose to get back on the road with was an SP 1000 Moto Guzzi. Big Loud V Twin. I am only 5'7" but never struggled. What I think made the difference was that I had determined to learn. I spent the money and went to track school. I did the beginner basics and I practiced my skills in car parks. Have progressed from there to now riding a K1200S but still put in a minimum of 2 to 3 training sessions per year and learn something new everytime. Maybe bike size has nothing to do with it, maybe attitude has.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R