Learning to ride

storysunfolding
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

Learning to ride

#1 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Ok- I'm riding an 82 Yamaha Xz550, I got it for free and put $200 into it including new wires, battery, hoses, filters, fluids, tires (came with the bike, just not mounted), brakes, plugs, cables. Then I cleaned the carbs and synched them and greased everything that needed grease. I also got rid of lots of rust and in many cases replaced bolts.

Now, I want to take the MSF course, but it's full until it starts again in the spring and the waiting list is gianormous. The plan is to use the excercises in the MSF manaul and practice in a parking lot until I can pass the DMV road test.

Question, I have a parking lot near my house (safest/easiest to get to). It's about 70 feet long and 40 feet wide. Would this be big/safe enough to practice in?

Any and all tips also appreciated.

Wizzard
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by Wizzard »

As long as the parking lot is empty and doesn't have traffic flow I would say go for it . Better than on the street .
When my spousette went from her trike to her second 2 wheeler (it had been a while) I took her to a large shopping center that was remodeling when no one was working and she practiced for hours until she was comfortable again .
Kind regards, Wizzard
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- ' WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!! ' " - Author Unknown

WicAndThing
Rookie
Rookie

Practice

#3 Unread post by WicAndThing »

That parking lot should be fine. Like mentioned before, make sure its empty and has no traffic flow.

Our MSF instructor recommended we take tennis balls and cut them in half and then use them like the mini-cones they use in the course.

Here are couple of exercises we did-
1) Maximum braking- obtain a speed of 15-18 mph and then apply both brakes, the clutch and downshift into 1st. You should not lock either tire up and the front brake lever should be fully compressed when you get stopped.

2) Doing a figure 8 in a 20x40 box

3) 180 degree curve - approach in 2nd gear, slow, then roll on the throttle throughout the curve

4) Place a row of cones about 15' apart and practice weaving between them.

Wizzard
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

Re: Practice

#4 Unread post by Wizzard »

WicAndThing wrote: 1) Maximum braking- obtain a speed of 15-18 mph and then apply both brakes, the clutch and downshift into 1st. You should not lock either tire up and the front brake lever should be fully compressed when you get stopped.

2) Doing a figure 8 in a 20x40 box

3) 180 degree curve - approach in 2nd gear, slow, then roll on the throttle throughout the curve

4) Place a row of cones about 15' apart and practice weaving between them.
These are all excellent suggestions .
Regards, Wizzard
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- ' WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!! ' " - Author Unknown

Henriettaah
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by Henriettaah »

I hope I can find an empty enough space to practice in once I've done my CBT! I'd rather it was in a deserted area though to banish any self-awareness if practicing in front of an audience :oops: Not likely really where I am.

Is the MSF the only test/training Americans have to take to get on the road with two wheels?

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Nope

It varies from state to state. There are a few courses throughout the U.S. that count as a waiver for the DMV test. However, here in Virginia I've known people who get their learners permit, wait the 30 days then take the DMV test. It costs alot less but there is no tutoring, just a test.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#7 Unread post by ZooTech »

Henriettaah wrote:Is the MSF the only test/training Americans have to take to get on the road with two wheels?
The MSF course is not a requirement. All I had to do was pass a simple written test to obtain my learner's package, which restricts you to daylight travel, no freeways, no passengers, and you have to wear a helmet. As soon as you think you're ready to pass the on-bike exam, you can take that (it takes about 15 minutes) and, if you pass, you're good to go.

And no, we're not restricted to any certain engine displacement. You can learn on whatever you want, and you can take the test on whatever you want. I took it on my Mean Streak, which is a little long for some of the obstacles they set up, but I passed with plenty to spare.

9000white
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by 9000white »

who can afford to cut up tennis balls??set up some paper cups.
dr bob

Henriettaah
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by Henriettaah »

9000white wrote:set up some paper cups
...gone, in a puff of wind :wink:

iwannadie
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000