problems finding used bikes

archanis
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

problems finding used bikes

#1 Unread post by archanis »

its simple. i cant find a damn thing used in AK. the dealers websites dont have any info on used bikes, and when i look online, the only things in my STATE are a few used harlys. how much would it be to ship it up to alaska from the lower 48. say from washington? is shipping from canada a viable option?

any advice or tips would be welcome, but for this one, leave the sarcasum at the door. i swear if i hear one more person say 'get a snow machine, it'll fit your igloo nicely'... the other forums seem to lack tact
faster than a quadriplegic racehorse!

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by ronboskz650sr »

You might try the KZRIDER.com forum. There is at least one guy who just opened a custom motorcycle shop in AK. Being an ol-dschool KZ riding kind of guy, I'm sure he has some ideas on how to do that.
CruisingRam is his forum name...give him a try.
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]

archanis
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by archanis »

thanks. ill look into that

swatter555
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by swatter555 »

Try Ebay or craigslist and look for a local used motorcycle publication in your local 7-11.

archanis
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by archanis »

:laughing: :laughing:

the nearest 7-11 is 137 miles away. if im going to go all the way up to anchorage, i might as well get my gear on that trip as well. looks like im going to be paying mom for another anchorage trip again. gas isnt cheap.

*adds thing 1million to to-do list* :shooting2: :twocents:

swatter555
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by swatter555 »

Alaska, holy crap. People ride motorcycles up there??

Watch out for wandering Caribou crossing the road. Polar bears probably will eat your bike when at the rest stop while your taking care of business. Are you going to store you bike in an Igloo?

:p

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by TechTMW »

Shipping is an option dude. I don't know how much it will cost but probably more than you want to pay :laughing: I was going to have my jeep shipped from PA to CA many moons ago, and it was going to cost $1000 ...

I'm surea bike would be less expensive, ezpecially shipping from somewhere like washington, but depending on how they ship it (Boat or truck) it might take forever.

Also it's usually not a good idea to buy a used bike sight unseen... too many things might be wrong w/ the bike.

One more thing ... Alaska being "Rugged High Country" you might think about looking for a used dirtbike or KLR650 ... probably have an easier time of it, and dirtbikes are fine for the street too, if they have lights and proper tires.
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

archanis
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by archanis »

but you find that up here they get pulled over if they are seen on the road. doesnt matter if you have the all clear and right paperwork. ill look into it though. seward isnt realy rugged country. the highway has hills and bends and lots of twisties, but i dont realy plan to do any offroad riding. no point, realy, all the trails up here are overrun with atv's and they claim them. god help you if you suggest sharing the trail with a 16 year old with spagetti for brains :roll:

im building a sperate igloo for a garrage, we have to watch out for moose, and the polar bears are about 750 miles north, minimum

oh! and bill gates is working in conjunction with donald trump to get braudband in every igloo, how cool is that?!?!

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#9 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

archanis wrote:but you find that up here they get pulled over if they are seen on the road. doesnt matter if you have the all clear and right paperwork. ill look into it though. seward isnt realy rugged country. the highway has hills and bends and lots of twisties, but i dont realy plan to do any offroad riding. no point, realy, all the trails up here are overrun with atv's and they claim them. god help you if you suggest sharing the trail with a 16 year old with spagetti for brains :roll:

im building a sperate igloo for a garrage, we have to watch out for moose, and the polar bears are about 750 miles north, minimum

oh! and bill gates is working in conjunction with donald trump to get braudband in every igloo, how cool is that?!?!

Dirtbikes are fun in twisty roads. And dot let those dirt bikes with training wheels tell you what to do, make them move over. Odds are a KLR650 can go faster to more places and rougher terrain. Sure, a quad can run small trees over (1 inch diameter) but can it go up a muddy hil with the angle of that slash---> / ?
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

archanis
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by archanis »

alright, im interested. i had planned to get a used gs500, but thats obviosly not panning out. though if the gs is popular, i dont think ill be able to find the klr iether