How many times have you dropped your bike?

How many times did you drop your bike in your first year of riding?

None. I was lucky!
35%
Once
19%
Twice
8%
Three times
19%
Four times
3%
Oh, god... lots of times!
16%

Total votes: 37

renoob
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by renoob »

Actually, I never did drop my bike while it was moving. Put a hell of a dent in the side of the tank once when I was walking it out of the garage and slipped in a wet spot. Brand new tank too.

I am about to start riding again after nothing but four or more wheelers for quite a while. I kinda expect my perfect record to go down the toilet within the next few months.

PK
Rookie
Rookie

#12 Unread post by PK »

I spent some time practising low speed turns in a large deserted parking lot.
Later I decided to perfect my new found skill on a small deserted road.
Tried a low speed U and hit the far curb. Smashed my windshield, indicator light and tore some leg muscles. That was 2 weeks ago in my 4th month of riding.

MarkyPancake
Veteran
Veteran

#13 Unread post by MarkyPancake »

Once only and thankfully not while riding.

I was pushing my first bike up our driveway, which is on a slope, and stepped on some loose gravel and slipped on it due to the weight of the bike. I managed to lay it down gently though, and not drop it, without any damage at all.

Thankfully no laying down or drops of my second bike.

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#14 Unread post by CNF2002 »

It hasn't happened yet but I'm really excited.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#15 Unread post by Skier »

ZooTech wrote:None. But you can keep the "lucky" part.
Seconded.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

jayhawk
Rookie
Rookie

#16 Unread post by jayhawk »

None yet, but it's not a year yet and I'm really a returning rider (after 40 Years!). I purposely bought used bike because I thought I might put a few scrapes on a new one but this old one is so nice that I have been careful not to. Been continuing to do lots of practicing in big open spaces and riding when traffic is sparse.

4Thrillz
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2019 scrambler

Re: How many times have you dropped your bike?

#17 Unread post by 4Thrillz »

Maaan I dropped my brand new bike for the third time over a period of about 7mths... The 1st, minimal damage/repaired, improper swerve, high sided, but held on to the bike and slammed to the ground saving the bike by holding it off the ground sacrificing my body. 2nd time no damage just easing into intersec traffic leaving inclined plaza driveway, I'm short, feet didn't catch when stopping in the wrong spot avoiding car jetting into my line..."3rd" time no damage, just a small scratch on my bar end mirror connection. It really messed me up psychologically. It just happened soo yeah... Left turn, two lane, was about to miss turn, tried to catch turn, from fast to slow too quick messed up my momentum, too slow went over on left side being a light lay down, held it up until the last moment, hopped up put it in gear rolled to the side of the road and checked for damage, none, mirror, shifter, clutch good(whew). Jumped back on and rode away no issues with the bike. Me on the other hand, dropping does not feel good at all. I'm just really disappointed. How to shake it off mentally?

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#18 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I dropped my first bike due to not paying attention. I forgot to put the kickstand down. It was loaded for a road trip, so let it ease down to ground. It was too heavy to hold it up.

faded sun
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 46
My Motorcycle: 2012 Victory Vision Tour/Honda Stateline

#19 Unread post by faded sun »

When you ride a bike as heavy as an ST 1300 Honda you are going to drop it at some point. Not riding it. But in the parking lot or at the gas station. Where there are bound to be LOTS of witnesses. Since riding ST's I have dropped mine at least 4 times. Not crashes. Just tip overs. Before that I only dropped one of 6 bikes once.

So I guess 5.
Jock

Ride Safely. Respect nature. Always wear a helmet.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#20 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Better a tip over than a crash.