Take a survey to help out a student

terpstudent
Rookie
Rookie

Take a survey to help out a student

#1 Unread post by terpstudent »

I am a student at the University of Maryland and am working on a team assignment to create a business plan for a new Motorcycle Themed Restaurant. Part of the paper requires us to survey a focus group so I'm hoping a few of you could take the time to reply to a few question. Feel free to pass a question if you don’t want to answer it and if you have some other friends that could help us out, please pass this on. All your help is greatly appreciated! Your email addresses will not be recorded in any way. If you have any questions, please let me know!

1) Do you currently own a motorcycle?

2) Would you consider eating at a restaurant catering to motorcycle enthusiasts?

3) You've favorite type of motorcycle is
a)American/Chopper/ Harley b) Japanese/ Speed/ Racing c) Touring
d) I love all types!

4) When you think of a 'Motorcycle' Theme restaurant do you think:
a) Adventure Touring b) Practical Commuting c) Hells Angels

5) Would you bring your family to a friendly motorcycle themed restaurant?

6) Would you go to a motorcycle themed restaurant that had an average price for a drink and an entree of
a) $15/pp b)$25/pp or c) $35/pp (pp=per person)

7) How far would you be willing to travel to a motorcycle themed restaurant?
a.) 10 miles, b.) 20 miles, c.) 30 miles or more.

8) Do you consider yourself a blue collar or white collar worker?

9) Average family income?
Thanks for helping out a student!

storysunfolding
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#2 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I've never understood a school whose mascot was an endangered turtle known for it's delicious taste...

Anyway

1) I own a motorcycle

2) Sure, especially if they had door prizes, some kind of membership for points and random bike giveaways... but then who wouldn't?

3) Can you pick just one? Cruiser, standard, dual sport, dirt, working, one day to be working

4) a) Adventure Touring b) Practical Commuting

5) Any of them that come on the motorcycle I guess.

6) a) $15/pp... stilll two good tanks of gas right there... that drink better be a really nice beer.

7) Not sure

8) Yes

9) I buy a lottery ticket every week
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

embries
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by embries »

1) I own a motorcycle

2) Yes, particularly if it had a more trendy theme as opposed to a biker-bar type of atmosphere

3) Touring

4) Adventure Touring

5) Yes, given that it is a family themed restaurant

6) Depending on the atmosphere, food, location, I could see any of these being appropriate

7) 20 Miles is roughly my limit for a restaurant activity. If there were other reasons to go or other activities I could see going farther. Also, if it were near some other attraction that I would be visiting I would be more likely to stop in while I was there.

8) White Collar

9) >$300,000 USD

archanis
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by archanis »

1) no, just earning the money for it

2) it depends on what type of enthusiasts. as long as it wasnt over run with kids my age :laughing: i dont get my generation

3) from what i've seen, i like all types for different reasons.

4) when i was younger, the answer would be hells angels, but now i think adventure/touring.

5) maybe my parents, but they dont go 'SQUEEE!' for no apperant reason... i hope

6) i would go from 15-20, depending on how good the food was, and what was actualy served. realisticaly, for the first year of buisness or more, untill you get your standard clientell, you would have to go to the 20-25 dollar range to make a significant proffit. also, consider that since it IS a motorcycle themed place, that you do not want to add a bar. most people will be riding there... hate to see them not make it back

7) this is alaska here. i have to drive 125 to make it to a half way decent resteraunt. anythings good for me

i consider myself a blue collar worker. manual labor isnt conducive to a tie.

9) unknown.
faster than a quadriplegic racehorse!

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#5 Unread post by flynrider »

I looked over the questions and they're all pretty much aimed at asking whether or not I'd be interested in a product that had a motorcycle "theme". I'll go for "no" on all counts. This current trend of, "let's put a motorcycle on it and it'll sell", I find somewhat boring. Motorcycling (to me) has little to do with what you wear, where you eat and what you watch on TV. In short, if a restaurant has good food and good service, I don't care if it has a Sesame Street theme. I'll eat there.

Don't let that slow you down, though. It's obvious that there is a huge (temporary) market out there that will buy anything associated with motorcycles. The fascination is due to wear off pretty soon, though and they'll be off to the next fad. I wouldn't make a long term investment in motocycle themed anything right now. I think we're looking at the backside of the trend curve on this one. Short term, it's still a viable marketing profile.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I don't think he's actually planning to open a restaurant, just develop a business plan for class. I think the idea would be fun. Motorcycle parking for a good portion of teh parking lot closer than anything for cages. Maybe a tappas style restaurant with themed sections (Different bikes or touring styles). Just thinking about all the ways you could go with a motorcycle idea instead of a basic family restaurant plan (artificial antiques on the wall, some sort of plaid uniform) makes for a much more interesting assignment.

Would it ever get off the ground? I doubt it. While you'd be appealing to a niche market and even if we are still in a motorcycle fad, there are too many people that are alienated by the idea of a motorcycle.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

terpstudent
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the help!

#7 Unread post by terpstudent »

Yes, this is actually for a class, just making a business plan, and will never see a ground breaking ceremony.

I appreciate all of your responses, and a few more would make this part of the business plan a little easier!

Thanks again for the help!
Thanks for helping out a student!

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

Re: Take a survey to help out a student

#8 Unread post by ZooTech »

terpstudent wrote: 1) Do you currently own a motorcycle?
Yes
terpstudent wrote: 2) Would you consider eating at a restaurant catering to motorcycle enthusiasts?
Already do. It's called "Quaker Steak and Lube".
terpstudent wrote: 3) You've favorite type of motorcycle is
d) I love all types!
D.
terpstudent wrote: 4) When you think of a 'Motorcycle' Theme restaurant do you think:
Preferably "C", but with better food!
terpstudent wrote: 5) Would you bring your family to a friendly motorcycle themed restaurant?
Of course.
terpstudent wrote: 6) Would you go to a motorcycle themed restaurant that had an average price for a drink and an entree of
Preferably "A", but would consider "B" if the food warranted the expense.
terpstudent wrote: 7) How far would you be willing to travel to a motorcycle themed restaurant?
The farther the better.
terpstudent wrote: 8 ) Do you consider yourself a blue collar or white collar worker?
Blue collar with white collar credentials! :laughing:
terpstudent wrote: 9) Average family income?
For all to see? Nah, I'll pass.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

Answers...

#9 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

1) No
2) Yes
3) D - All types
4) C - Hell's Angels
5) Yes
6) B - $25/pp
7) C - 30 miles or more
8) Blue Collar
9) $30,000

Good Luck with your business plan and class!

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

Re: Take a survey to help out a student

#10 Unread post by Kal »

1) Do you currently own a motorcycle?

Several

2) Would you consider eating at a restaurant catering to motorcycle enthusiasts?

Decent bike parking nd not being treated by a leaper for walking in Leathers carrying a lid? I'd give that a go.

3) You've favorite type of motorcycle is
d) I love all types!

e) Standards. Although if you were asking me to name a bike if I could ride only one for the rest of my life it would probly be an Italian Rce machine.

4) When you think of a 'Motorcycle' Theme restaurant do you think:

Somewhere to meet up with friends and hangout. You might want a large softdrinks bar where people can just hang.

5) Would you bring your family to a friendly motorcycle themed restaurant?

Defintly, I am even now corrupting my son into the 'ways of bikehood'TM.

6) Would you go to a motorcycle themed restaurant that had an average price for a drink and an entree of

Yes, but the cheaper it is the more often I'd go.

7) How far would you be willing to travel to a motorcycle themed restaurant?

c) Its an excuse to ride, however the closer it is the more likely I am to be a regular.

8) Do you consider yourself a blue collar or white collar worker?

White

9) Average family income?

Somewhere just under $50,000US I guess...

Good luck with the project.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman