#41 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Sounds divine. :)

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: Rockster Blog...

#42 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Went for a little ride on Rt 501, which runs out of Lynchburg, then down the Blue Ridge Parkway, and back. The weather was beautiful! Got a pic looking out to some of the mountains.
https://goo.gl/photos/a6fe2tNC1qSoD2xeA
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Lion_Lady

#43 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Well. On Mother's Day I totalled my beloved Rockster Limited Edition. Was returning home from a weekend event (Mountain Moxie 2016), via the Blue Ridge Parway when a legal pass went badly.

My friend, who had been leading for most of the trip, and executed a half-dozen successful passes, slowed down when two cars appeared ahead of us in the oncoming lane... I assumed she'd react the way I or my husband would have in this situation: Whack the throttle open and whip through the pass... I did, but she didnt, and suddenly, I had to react to avoid rear-ending her: I whipped my bars hard left, which sent me right off the left side of the road. Down a steep embankment. Bike is totalled. I'll heal: Fractured left fibula (at the ankle bump), bruised ribs on the right, and broken right collarbone, plus a minor concussion. All should heal cleanly with time.

What I'd like to use my mishap to point out is, have a little chat with your riding group before setting out, to make sure you are aware of what each of you is likely to do in common situations. Just bcause you've never had a problem (i've ridden with this gal for literally hundreds of miles), doesnt mean you can't get into trouble with differing expectations at some point. Just having a little pre-ride debrief may be enough to focus all on being aware of potential pitfalls, so they can be avoided.
Attachments
2016-05-09 09.43.48.jpg

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#44 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I hope you heal up quickly. :)

NorthernPete
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#45 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Feel better soon!
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#46 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Glad you made it out of that one relatively ok. Heal up soon! Any thoughts on what you'll get to replace the Rockster?
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Lion_Lady

#47 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Grey Thumper wrote:Glad you made it out of that one relatively ok. Heal up soon! Any thoughts on what you'll get to replace the Rockster?
Thanks! To be completely honest, my inclination is another Rockster! That bike did everything I needed, fit my frame perfectly, and was eye-catching to boot. Though i may have to "settle" for the copper or lime color scheme, rather than another Limited Ed.

P

Lion_Lady

#48 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Assumptions will bite you (5/8/2016)

So, I crashed my beautiful, dependable, and beloved Gryndl, the Rockster 80th Anniversary Limited Edition #196 on Mother’s Day, on the Blue Ridge Parkway. My sturdy steed sits forlorn at a Tow Yard, near Fancygap, VA, waiting to be picked up as salvage.
My friend and I had had a great weekend at Mountain Moxie. I got comfortable with twisty riding, again, but still cant keep up with her Versys' flickability. We had a great ride on Saturday, got photo captured by BlindKenny.com (May 7). We got to hang out with gobs of lady and men riders, all in this AMAZING LODGE, The Switzerland Inn, in Spruce Pines, NC. There were terrific speakers, orgasmically delicious food, shopping, and OMFG unbelievable roads. She and I have ridden thousands of miles together over the years, but very little of that travel had been on two-lane country roads.
My crash wasn’t a case of not being comfortable riding together. It was a case of not even realizing we had different expectations for the specific situation. Each of us reacted as we thought was correct for what unfolded…

We had opted to take the BRP homeward, until we hit the closure at Roanoke, or got tired of it. My friend led, because I get stressed (yes, really), and she had her Garmin, which is better for routing. I didn't even bring my GPS, because Waze works so well for me... until you are out of cell tower range, I discovered.

Anyway, we were doing great. having fun. The weather was perfect. Not too warm, mostly cloudy, no rain. Understand that passing on the BRP is a PITA because of the winding road, with short sightlines. There are passing zones, but not a lot, and they tend to be conservative. Nevertheless, we didn't have to follow slow traffic for very long.
Background: When my husband, Chaz, and I are on roads like this, he usually leads... he'll spot the passing point, (usually signal) move out, and accelerate past, with me sling-shotting quickly after him. If oncoming cars should appear, he'll twist harder to make sure he allows me room to follow/complete the pass.
She and I passed like this, when we passed, all morning/afternoon. But until that last one, we hadn't encountered opposing traffic so near to us, from around the next turn... I saw the cars, and being in “habit” passing mode, I twisted harder, but she didn't accelerate, as I expected.
I remember suddenly being right on her rear-end, and reacting. I honestly don't remember what I decided to do. But it seems most likely that I simply jerked my bars left to avoid rear-ending her, which sent me across the left lane and down the steep embankment. She didn’t see a thing. She was focused on the “target” car which paced her briefly, then slowed to let her in. She thought I'd dropped behind the target car. But when she finally had a chance to pull off safely, the car behind her said I'd gone off the road.

The EMTs came quickly, as did the Park Police. I was unconscious/out of it/in pain. They had to cut off my left CruiserWorks Boot. Those were my original motorcycle boots. They survived my 2004 big crash, see "Stepping Up the Ladder of Risk." I was a bit sad at that. My other gear didn't get cut. How they got my jacket off, I dont know. My helmet has a big round, grassy impact/scrape mark behind my right ear. No pavement marks. My head must have stuck one of the leftover tree stumps left from recent brush clearing on that curve.

I remember little glimpses from being on the ground, with the EMTs working on me, My friend’s familiar calm voice, in snatches. Apparently, I talked to Chaz on my phone, while lying there. I remember more from the ambulance ride: Mostly looking up at the inside, with a face over me, Pain as they poked and prodded. Got an IV started.

Then I was on a bed in ER. Boring from there. lots of waiting. Pain as they put plates behind my injured shoulder for an Xray image. Ankle not so much... CT scan for internal and brain injuries. My friend patiently by me, saying Chaz was on his way, that she'd made sure my wallet and phone were with me, and the tow truck driver would secure my cases and bags. Bless her, she collected my earring, etc. from the EMTs as they pulled them off, and pocketed them for me. When I needed a bed pan (yeah, that, too!), after being in ER for hours, she helped me get out of the layers I was still wearing.

Let me just tell you, that you don't have any idea how many critical muscles are attached to your clavicle, until your clavicle is broken.

To wrap up. I've got a semi displaced fracture of the right clavicle, a non-displaced fracture of the fibula, and some damn sore ribs on my right side as well. I’m also dealing with poison ivy from my brushy detour, and roadside triage. At least I’m not super sensitive to it. Just itchy bumps.

My broken ankle means I can't work for 6-8 weeks. My boss can't hold my job. That sucks. But I'll hope that whoever he finds in the meantime is only adequate, and I can get back in.
What I learned: No matter how well you think you know a fellow’s riding style, when riding in a new situation, it is worth talking about expectations before heading out with others. My assumption of her response to that pass, based on previous successful passes, could have cost me my life. I am truly blessed that I survived. My BMW gear, though years old, saved my hide from being shredded in the brush. Now my friend is dealing with the aftermath of our lack of communication, as well.

Lion_Lady

#49 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Where my bike left the road, and the start of the furrow plowed by the right cylinder head.
IMG_6661.jpeg
IMG_6661.jpeg (161.94 KiB) Viewed 24334 times
Where my bike ended up. 39 1/2 feet from the road's edge. It definitely rolled over on its nose, ripping off my windscreen and yanking the tether out of my Marsee tankbag. And at least one lengthwise roll, breaking the hold-down latches on my sidecases.
IMG_6675.jpeg
IMG_6675.jpeg (162.79 KiB) Viewed 24334 times
All that brush above my bike was small trees back in 2009 when the googlemaps car made it's last pass... Stumps and poison ivy reside there, now.
Attachments
IMG_6680.jpeg
IMG_6680.jpeg (54.53 KiB) Viewed 24334 times

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#50 Unread post by dr_bar »

Your guardian angel was truly looking out for you that day... Get better quick...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"