Rockster Blog...

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Rockster Blog...

#1 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

March, 15, 2005

Okay. My f650CS is in the shop Bob's BMW for warranty work (fork seal leak) until Wednesday. I rode home Friday on the available service loaner: a lowered f650GS... fun, but TOO SHORT (i've got a 34" inseam).

So, Saturday, I stopped back by the dealership to see, first, when MY bike would be ready, and second, whether I could "finagle" a bigger loaner bike. Since I'm on BMWBMW club's Board of Directors, I needed to be at the Sunday meeting in Fredericksburg, VA at Morton’s BMW.

"Hmmm," says the service chief. "Ask the sales mgr if he's got a demo to loan."

So I ask.

"Hmmm," says the sales manager, after I tell him WHERE the meeting is, "We happen to have a Rockster demo with 1100 miles on it that you could take. We want to get some more miles on the odometer (I heard 1500 mentioned). You'll park it out front, right?"

“Of course." says I.

So they make a copy of my license, I give proof of insurance, sign a piece of paper, and off I ride on a sweet BMW Rockster (R1150R engine) for a long term loan.

Too COOL!!

First, being a smart rider, I spend 10 minutes putting around the industrial-plex across the road getting the feel of the ABS brakes, the weight, etc. then I'm off. Nice ride! I really like the fact that it handles much like the CS with a similarly low center of gravity, but it just feels 'meatier.' Its got pull in all gears at all RPMs, no 'grunting' at the low end like the poor thumper. Though this bike weighs about 140 pounds more than the CS it really didn't feel that much heavier. My one other complaint is that the Rockster has no windscreen. I tried to finagle one as a loan, but no dice. Ah well.

I get on I-95 north and find that passing 18 wheelers don’t buffet this bike around the lane. All around, it just feels more secure going down the road. I take 100 west to 29 then I-70 W to Marriottsville Rd. An easy ride, with less traffic and familiar path for this unfamiliar bike. Plus fun “baby” twisties to try! Man, she’s sweet in turns! And no diving front end when I brake.

When I pulled up front of the house, Chaz (hubby) was in the yard. He laughed out loud and immediately asked if he could ride it (Of course) His test ride was far longer than his go round on the GS was, and his comment when he got home was "I would get myself in serious trouble if I got one of those now... need another season on the SV."

I loved our son's comment when he got home from skateboarding, "WOW! Is that a Rockster in the garage?!"

For the meeting, Sunday, I put in 380 miles.

I left home at about 7 am (after some stupid confusion with the kickstand 'safety' feature). I made it to Fredericksburg for the club meeting by 9:30. After the meeting, some of my usual ride pals were "heading west" on a “100 mile loop” with plans to find something to eat in Sperryville, VA. At the time, I had no REAL idea how far away Sperryville was in relation to Fredericksburg OR more importantly, to Reisterstown.

Okay, I'll bite. I really didn’t want to just go back home. This bike is too much fun, and I didn’t have our GPS on board, so I was leery of venturing far on my own.

About 10 of us headed out. We rode through the valleys and hills of the lower Shenandoah. Through Civil War battlefields and past beautiful farms and fields. We cruised along two lanes. My 650CS is usually left behind when the others pass cars because the single cylinder just hasn’t got quite the Oomph. It’ll keep up, but the acceleration just can’t match the 1100s and 1150s that I usually end up riding with. The Rockster was right there every time I twisted my wrist.

We travelled up and over the mountains past Luray, VA on 211. The last section was along winding climbing steeps, reminiscent of my motorcycle crash in July '04. These were both a thrill and a terror to execute successfully. I initially thought to keep up with the others, but quickly realized that was a sure path to disaster.

So I eased off, took a breath to focus, and started concentrating on carving the turns. Ah, here was sheer power and elegance! Climbing: look-lean-rollonthrottle-carve, ease off, lookleancarve. Descending: lookleancarve, straighten and brake just a bit, then, lookleancarve. It was more like flying than being earthbound. The motorcyle’s engine growled purposefully and comfortingly through all of it.

With the farthest distance of any, to travel back home, I knew I was in trouble as we kept getting closer and closer to Charlottesville, VA - down to 22 miles before we cut away northwest. The thing was, I would no sooner catch up to the group at a stop, and gather my thoughts, when they'd head off again: I didn't want to just disappear and have everybody worry about me, so I stayed with them.

At last, we stopped and had a light dinner in Sperryville, VA at about 4:30pm. I realized that I would be far later returning home than I ever planned. When I tried to phone home, I had no cell service. Ah well. Make the best of it. I pulled out my map and got guidance from the others back to 340N. I had to cross the mountain on 211 again. Yikes! At least it was still daylight. I’d take it slow, as I was somewhat concerned at how fatigue would effect my riding.

Once again, I made it over the mountain safely. And again I delighted at the secure power and easy handling of the Rockster. I turned north on 340 toward Front Royal, where I stopped at a minimart for gas and a bottle of water. I tried my cell phone once more. SERVICE at last! Checked in with Chaz and said I was on my way, taking my time. As I stood drinking my water, an unbelievable 3 wheel contraption motored up to the gas pumps. The guy driving(?) was wearing a beanie helmet and chaps. I commented on his rig and he commented that it was easier to get down the road when things were slick. It seemed to have a VW engine driving it.

From Front Royal, the Rockster continued to eat highway miles effortlessly. As it grew dark, I cruised at 70-75 mph. My lower back was growing tired and stiff from pushing my torso against the windblast.

I stopped again in Frederick, MD, for a snack and to warm up. Checked in with home again. Then the final leg home. I got home at almost 9pm. A long but rewarding day. The Rockster handled 70-80mph with no problems. Rock solid power and handling. It is hard to put precise words to what feels ‘better’ about the Rockster over the CS. The CS has done everything I ask smoothly. It’s a delight to ride. But it is just ‘littler.’ If I never planned on going beyond the Baltimore area, I’d be happy to keep the CS forever. But I have in mind to do some serious touring. And I just like the meatier feel of the R1150R.

Monday, I laid it down. Well actually, I SET her down. I was going out of the parking lot from work. The plan was to do a 'California roll-through,' but at the last minute I realized a car was coming. I grabbed a handful of brake with the bars not QUITE straight: "Ohno-OhCRAP!" over she went, ever so GENTLY (Okay, as gently as a person can lower a 550 pound bike to the ground) onto the right cylinder head. The ABS made a screeching sound and I turned the key off. Got her up on the second try, by myself.

Only damage is the 'sacrificial' plastic cyclinder guard. Whew!!

Hope to put on some more miles tomorrow.

I was smitten. A couple weeks later, there was this magnificent WHITE and black bike parked in the showroom of Bob's BMW. I was talking to Ashton, the sales manager about loving the Rockster, but really hating the color options of copper or lime. Ashton pointed to the black and white bike.

"Its a Rockster" says he.

"No way!" says I.

"Yes, way! Its an 80th Anniversary Limited Edition Rockster" says he.

Oh oh oh. It has a windshield! I'm dooooomed. Its beautiful! I've got to have it. No, cannot buy it, must have it, cannot have it, MUST HAVE IT!!!! Well, BMW's .09% financing AND 5 free payments offer meant that it was only 2 more weeks before I did buy it.

Here's me on "Delivery Day" of my new Rockster.

This week (4/2/06) the odometer will tickover 12,000 miles on my almost 1 year old Rockster. Its been a great time, with more on the horizon.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Lion_Lady

Another Rocktser Adventure...

#2 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Whirlwind West Virginia... ("Wild Maggie" Put to Rest)
June 15, 2005.

Well, I did a whirlwind trip down to Seneca Rocks, WV for The Chain Gang (f650 forum) West Virginia Jailbreak, at Yokum's campground. There was another agenda as well...

I departed Reisterstown at about 4:30 pm Saturday with a full tank of gas in the Rockster, my tent and sleeping bag on the back and a smile on my face. According to the GPS the trip was gonna be about 220 miles, nearly 4 hours.

Its funny how just last summer, 4 hours on the motorcycle was daunting and not to be considered for a single day's ride, and here I was gonna do it AFTER WORK Saturday, and coming home on Sunday.

I had a couple intentions with this ride... one was to meet some of the folks I'd been conversing with online, another was to log in some big items for the BMWBMW club scavenger hunt (one item is Seneca Rocks, WV). The bigger reason perhaps, was to 'conquer' Wild Maggie, the curve that I went down on on my f650CS, in July 2004 (see http://forum.motorcycle-usa.com/?f=17&m=84932 ).

The temperature was HOT setting out, but I had on my UnderArmor and summer riding gear. I rode I-70 westward to try to make the best time. Kept seeing riders coming at me with raingear on and headlights. Clouds were coming at me... At Hancock, I pulled into a bank drivethru to think about putting on my raingear.

While having a drink of water, I observed that the front seemed to be moving northward and I decided not to bother and continued. I took I-68 then onto two lanes somewhere outside of Cumberland, I believe.

The last leg of the ride was in the dusk - as the 'forest rats(deer)' are notoriously coming out !!Eeek!!! But the ride was uneventful. I arrived at Yokums at about 9:30 pm. I pulled in, said hello all around and set up my tent. When I tried to phone home on my cell - - - duh, NO SERVICE valley's too deep. So I had to ride up to the office and see if I could find a pay phone to let hubby know I'd made it. I knew he'd figure there wasn't service, but I still wanted to check in. He wanted to regale me with tales of Clifford's transmission-ectomy - removal of trashed transmission on his BMW R1100RS. I had to cut him off. We said our goodbyes.

I returned to at last relax and join the fun at "Planet Orange." Great bunch of folks! Live bluegrass music. Beer, BBQ and we were camping right next to the New River so there was natural white noise to drown out fellow camper's snoring, etc.

Having been awake since 6am, I turned in 'early' - about 1am. I zipped into my tent, put in the earplugs, wrapped a t-shirt sleeve around my eyes and slept until nearly 9am. Man that felt good.

In the morning, the sun was shining... I was one of the first few awake.
Here's a shot of my bike in front of Jailbreak HQ early Sunday. You can just see one part of Seneca Rocks in the haze to the right of the tree branches.

"Planet Orange" WV Jailbreak headquarters.

I later learned that some of the others were awake until 3:30 am.

I greeted those awake and inquired about breakfast plans... then sucked down a Clif Mocha (caffiene laden power goo) packet and packed up my tent and gear. My intent was to get in another scavenger hunt item or two WITHOUT the weight of my side cases and gear, before I headed back home.

The host, Ken Hait and a couple of the other early risers were riding up rte 28 for breakfast. I was still packing up and said I'd meet them there. I finished packing and piled all my stuff together... by this time the air was STEAMY... Did I mention that nearly EVERY turn off and turn in in West Virginia has a coating of gravel on top of the asphalt? You canNOT just squeeze the brakes and turn. You gotta pay attention.

I head up 28, and manage to blow past the restaurant (the guys didn't know the name, just said look for the motorcycles out front).

I realize my error and think to myself, "The road is practically deserted, it is wide enough to turn around on..." I slow, look where I'm trying to go. But THEN I focus on the narrow GRAVEL shoulder, and the steep grassy drop off beyond...

You guessed it: Front wheel goes ONTO the gravel shoulder, and down the slope a bit, and OVER my baby went (toward the road, not the drop, fortunately). She tilted up onto the left cylinder head, and the handle bar bumped the pavement. I stand up, cuss in my helmet and hit the kill switch. I'm about 100 yards from the restaurant. Grrrr.

The front wheel is down the slope where the surface is damp and grassy, PLUS there is the gravel. Gryndl weighs over 500 pounds. Pretty well the max I can lift with my legs. I realize that to stand her up, I've got to get Gryndl vertical, WITHOUT dumping her down the hill onto the other side. Not worth the risk.

Ah, F@ck it! I pull off my helmet and walk to the restaurant. The guys are just digging into a really tasty looking country breakfast. I apologize for interrupting and ask for help. All three get up. These guys are great! With a bit of discussion, they had Gryndl upright in short order with much - "it happens to everyone, don't worry about it."

I ordered a magnificent cholesterol and carb laden breakfast and listened to the guys tell tales of their off road ride, on Saturday. At last we finished breakfast and the guys headed back to camp, while I planned to get a look (and pic) of Seneca Rocks before loading up.

Seneca Rocks are unbelievable... if you get a chance to see them, do. The ride down there is worth it as well. This photo doesn't do them justice, but you get the idea.

After this pic, I made my way back to camp.

The camp access road is a sorta steep slope with, you guessed it, a gravel surface. Further into camp it becomes all gravel - that I can deal with. Coming from the south, I have to make a tight right turn. Probably not a problem by itself, BUT there was a pick up truck sitting there, waiting to come out.

I was doing well, not panicking. I dropped speed, was just gonna ease my bike around that curve, but I spotted the GRAVEL and thought I was still going too fast. I put BOTH feet out (which meant I couldn't use the rear brake) and squeezed the brakes just a LITTLE bit (or so I THOUGHT)....

OVER WE WENT!!! "dodo!!" I hollered into my helmet. Fortunately we landed on the grass. The guy driving the truck leaped out before I could even look up. He thought the bike landed on my leg - thank god for that boxer engine. He stood the bike up. I got back on and headed into camp. I had to tell the guys that I'd now dropped Gryndl on the other side too... the dirt ground into the back of the mirror proved that.

I helped knock down the big portable carport that had been headquarters. I loaded up my gear, thanked everyone and said my goodbyes, then headed out. Northbound again on 28. Destination: Parsons, WV and 219.

I asked the GPS to take me home by the fastest route, but looking at the route, that seemed to result in adding about 30 miles to the ride. I rerouted by 'shortest' route which looked reasonable... Along the way, on Rt 52, I found another scavenger hunt item:

An added bonus is that this is also the Eastern Continental Divide. The sign in the background indicates this is the Randolph County line as well.

A bit further on, the GPS indicates a left turn... I make it, and the road is narrow, but paved. I continue a half mile or so and the pavement becomes a single lane gravel track. Too narrow to turn around in... I continue. After a mile or more, the 'me' arrow goes off the pictured road line... I don't give this much tought, it has happened before. THEN the road widens into what looks like a tiny gravel cul de sac, with a closed gate to one side. Grrrr. Well at least I have room to turn around. So, I retrace my path, back to 52 and continue north.

Next, the GPS indicates that I need to turn on rt 72. Ah, HA! This road I know. This is the 'short cut' from one side of the valley to the other... I travelled it several times in cages while being shuttled by the nice ladies of the WOW chapter when I was injured last summer. COOL!! IT is 20 miles long, narrow and twisty - there is a sign at the turn off that states "Not suitable for large trucks" 72 has some unbelievable switchbacks and goes through BEEYOUTIFUL and remote countryside (sorry, no pics- I was RIDING!).

I kept my speed down, ever watchful for gravel in turns, and allowed any cars that came up behind me to pass. I was in no rush and wanted to enjoy the scenery.

At last, 72 comes out on 219 just outside Parsons. I took a breath and headed up. 219 is a well travelled roadway. With truck lanes on the uphill grades. Nearly every curve has a posted speed limit sign, from 50mph down to 20 mph. Soon, I recognized the approach to Wild Maggie. I had my speed right and carved my way around it without any trouble at all. I kept expecting the curve to "tighten up," decrease in radius, but it was almost a disappointment. It was just a turn, followed by another turn, and another. A few miles on, there was a rest area. I pulled in and parked. I pulled off my helmet and assessed what I'd done.

I stood there, drinking some water and listening to the whoosh of the generating windmills, and thought to myself, this curve was no more challenging than any other 20mph curve I'd encountered in my 2 days of riding West Virginia roads. I wanted very much to share my victory with someone... It was a magnificent sunny afternoon and I'd claimed victory over a demon of my past.

A few minutes later, a half dozen cruisers rolled into the rest area. Two women riding pillion and 4 men. All were in tshirts, jeans and beanie or 3/4 helmets. Me in my full gear and full face helmet, with a loaded for travelling BMW, were of little interest. They eyed me and I eyed them. We nodded at each other in acknowledgement, but didn't exchange words.

I went to find a refill for my water bottle and when I came back outside, the cruisers were getting back on board to continue their ride. We nodded again in parting, and they thundered off.

When it was quiet, I phoned home and spoke to Chaz in the midst of his Transmission Project. He was excited for me, but mentally involved in his task... I understood.

I pondered, and came to the conclusion that if only I'd seen the 20mph curve speed sign, I would have had my entry speed right and the wayward truck would not have been an issue - or the entire situation could as well have turned out much uglier also. I must have glanced at my instrument cluster at the instant I breezed past that sign.

I was about to put my helmet on when an older gentleman - 60 something I'd guess - walked up to me and admired my bike. He said he'd been wanting a BMW for some time but that the nearest dealer to him was over an hour away. I tried to explain that they don't require much dealer care... ah well.

I feel that I've written the final chapter of my Big Crash and can put that book on the shelf.

I asked the GPS to route me home, checked my WV map for confirmation and started homeward. The GPS and I had some disagreements - at one point I ended up heading back toward Seneca Rocks on 42 instead of NE as I needed to travel.

I wind my way northeast, finding my wheels on Rt 15 and then Rt340 . . .
For the most part the rest of the ride is uneventful.

At about 7:30pm, I pulled into the parking lot of the Frederick, MD Waffle House. I park in what looks like a 'decent' parking space - in view of the inside of the restaurant.

BUT the space is sloped...

Too much of a slant for the side stand to do its job. I shoulda reparked then, but I was tired. Instead, I used the center stand. As I was eating, it occured to me that I SHOULD repark. So, I attempt to do so. . .

With the side cases loaded and the pillion seat packed as well, I've got to drive off the stand. I do, and when I grab the brake to stop the rebound, the bars musta been turned a bit....

"Oh, no! oh, Sh!!!!!TTT!!!!" Down we go.

I try to save it, but I've got just barely enough strength left to keep her from slamming the asphalt...

TIPOVER. Again. I stand up, hit the kill switch and have a look. Poor Gryndl is leaning against the curb, on the right side.

With the bags and stuff on board, I don't have a prayer of righting her without unloading everything. So, I do the logical thing and go back inside and eat my dinner while I ponder my next move, cursing my stupidity for taking that space in the first place.

In a few minutes, I look outside, and a pickup truck with two 20-something guys inside comes into view. They drive slowly by my upended bike, and park in front of the Waffle House. WooHOO! I get up and stop them at the door, with a plea for assistance. They willingly oblige. In no time my baby is upright and reparked in a LEVEL space. I thank them profusely and offer to buy their dinners.

I finally arrived at home at about 8:30 pm. A loooong day. Frustrating in some ways and rewarding too.

It took some emory paper and a moment of time to get the worst of the roughness out of the right side case. (Since I bought them used, I can always say the previous owner did the damage ).

P

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#3 Unread post by Loonette »

Good to see you bloggin' away. Nice new bike! You've probably got all the drops out of your system now! Enjoy the new ride.

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Lion_Lady

Escape from New York...

#4 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Hubby and I were invited to a wedding in Queens, NY on Saturday. Good friends who ride, he is one of the founders of BeginnerBikes.org (now defunct) but is a founder of beginnerandbeyond.com.

We got underway later than I'd hoped, but I figured we'd be there in enough time. 210 miles by the most direct route. It was still quite an adventure.

We got to do toll booths for the first time on the MC. The "ziplock bag method" of carrying multiple toll cash worked like a charm. I stashed about $15 in singles, a $5 and some quarters, in a snack size ziplock and stuffed it into my left hand jacket pocket. I could pull into a toll booth, put the bike in neutral and dig out the bag without taking off my gloves. I got a smile every time the toll taker saw the ziplock (I think they were expecting to watch me deal with my wallet). The toll taker could see that it wasn't booby trapped, and we could both see what was being removed. All very careful to reseal the bag for me before handing it back. Pretty cool.

The New Jersey Turnpike was the usual annoyance... EVERY time we came upon a clot of slow moving traffic, we discovered that it was a car with MARYLAND tags riding along in the left lane, oblivious to the back up they were causing... Maryland Drivers are THE WORST.

We took the Verizano Bridge into NY (I don't care that Brooklyn and Queens, etc are different - its all "New York" to this Baltimoron). We saw a sign that said "Welcom to Staten Island" so I know we were there as well.

The BQE (Brooklyn Queens Expwy) was a nightmare, especially in dusk. It was bumper to bumper but moving, at least. They'd resurfaced the road in what seemed to be a VERY haphazard manner, it was AWFUL. With dips and ridges parallel to travel. I was very grateful for the added weight of the Rockster. It kept me from taking too many unintentional detours across my lane. If I went down, I was DONE, traffic was so close.

We arrived at the Wyndahm Garden LaQuardia hotel at 5:45 (the wedding was scheduled for 6pm) I really hated arriving so late. To our amazement, the groom was standing in the parking lot out front - he was directing the transport cars and smoking a cigarette)! Yikes! We told them NOT to wait for us, that we'd call a car and get ourselves to the restaurant. We checked in and got showered and dressed in less than 20 minutes. The car ride was an adventure. We still managed to arrive before the service started. That is all I was worried about.

The wedding was wonderful and the party was a blast. So cool to see everyone again - this was the crew that we rode up to NY to hang out with last winter for the NY Motorcycle show.

After the reception and all were kicked out of the restaurant, the party continued at the hotel... hubby came to bed at about 3am (I'd been awake since 4:30 am so I went to bed at about midnight).

Sunday, we slept in. Had a leisurely breakfast and headed out about 11:30. Mrs. Peal (the name we've given the voice of our GPS) got confused in the cement canyons (spotty satellite reception), and we ended up taking the Midtown Tunnel (it was soooo tempting to slalom those orange divider thingies on the white centerline), we travelled down Park Avenue and past Grand Central Station (where I gave a taxi the evil eye and he quit trying to muscle into my lane) before finally seeing signs for the Lincoln Tunnel...

Then I managed to turn the wrong way down a one way street (fortunately it was a WIDE, and nearly empty one way street, but it had a concrete median). Chaz followed me because there wasn't much else he could do. This street was at least 6 lanes wide and there were several trailers parked along the right side. I tucked in between two of these while I tried to decide the next course of action. While I was doing that, Chaz decided to take Clifford OVER the median onto the side of the road we needed to be on... What an adventure! I followed his lead and we were underway again.

We decided that next time, we need to just follow signs when in a skyscraper type city. By the time the GPS figured out where we were and what we needed to do next, we sometimes had already missed the lane change or turning point.

Finally we made it across the river, or whatever, and out of the city, onto the Jersey Turnpike. We heard from one of the NewYorkers that there is a Motorcycle specific EZPass. It will deduct the motorcycle fare when there is a difference (if you try to use the MC pass on your CAR, you get a $50 ticket in the mail). Definitely worth looking into THAT.

Gassed up somewhere on the NJT then, we got off at exit 3 and headed east, toward Cape May, to catch the ferry to Lewes. The ride down 47 was really nice. Two lanes each direction with a nice wide grassy median. There was little traffic and the easy ride through pretty country was what we needed after fighting the Jersey Turnpike traffic for over an hour. Just put the bike in 6th gear and lope along easily.

When we pulled into the Ferry toll/ticket booth area, the attendant asked if we had a reservation. What a concept! We didn't, but being on motorcycles, we were pretty much assured a place on the next boat. We got to the terminal at about 4:15 and the next ferry was due to depart at 4:30 what timing! They needed to see our driver's licenses for the ride, and the $17 fare was steep, but I knew it would be high. I haven't been on the ferry since I was about 7 or 8 years old.

The bikes loaded up and ferry underway:

Me switching face shields... on the ferry. Chaz's "Clifford" the Big Red Motorcycle is in front.

The Delaware Bay was choppy and the ferry rolled amazingly. It was some time before all the folks' with motion detector alarms got those sorted out.

We got to DE in the dark, and Jeff, the HD rider, led us to 2nd Street in Lewes, and recommended a couple restaurants... We ended up at the Buttery. Delicious!! It seemed obvious that during high season this is a place you need to make your reservation well in advance. The food was unbelievable. We had the "Prix Fix" dinners. Chaz had the mahi mahi and I had beef tenderloin stoganoff style. The fresh tomato asparagus soup and creme brulee dessert were divine. A glass of wine would have been perfect, but not a good idea given the ride we had ahead of us.

It was really tough to get suited up and back underway at about 8 pm. I SO wanted to just find a room for the night, but we both had to work the next day, so it wasn't really an option. The route home was easy, but it was getting late and we're not 20 anymore.

Made it as far as Dover before we had to gas up again, then at about 10pm, we needed to stop and stretch, in Churchville. Called the kiddies to let them know we were still alive.

We hit some light sprinkles of rain just before our exit off I-795. (What fun).

We rolled into the garage at 11pm. 345 miles. I've now got 10,130 miles on my Rockster.

Pam

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#5 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Why do the ferry folks need to see your driver's license?

zarakand
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male

#6 Unread post by zarakand »

Wow, I love that ferry picture. What's the ground feel like riding to your parking spot there? Sounds like a lot of fun.
Honda Shadow Aero
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=10329/]Chicago Bike Blog[/url]

Lion_Lady

#7 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

blues2cruise wrote:Why do the ferry folks need to see your driver's license?
My guess is that it has something to do with "homeland security." I suppose it would be possible to ride a sabotaged vehicle on board and then get back off before the ferry left port.
zarakand wrote:Wow, I love that ferry picture. What's the ground feel like riding to your parking spot there? Sounds like a lot of fun.
The ferry is pulled into a slip that is off in a little inlet and away from rough water/waves. The ferry itself has a steel deck which was just a little challenging.

Here's the view of the ferry terminal as we pulled away.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Escape from New York...

#8 Unread post by jstark47 »

Lion_Lady wrote:we travelled down Park Avenue and past Grand Central Station (where I gave a taxi the evil eye and he quit trying to muscle into my lane) before finally seeing signs for the Lincoln Tunnel...
You actually rode a motorcycle in Manhattan!!! :shock: I won't even drive a car there. Your user name is aptly chosen!!
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Lion_Lady

#9 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Quick and Dirty Ride to Hershey, PA...

THANKS, for coming along, MARIA!!

So, after hubby finished up some minor electrical wizzardry on Maria's bike, I noted that there were still a couple hours of daylight left and I hadn't yet checked off the Hershey Chocolate Factory, or a wooden roller coaster, from my club Scavenger Hunt list. Neither has maria. She's got no particular plans or need to go directly home. A quick phone call home and we're on.

Unfortunately, chaz is too whomped from his weekend tromping around with our son's Boy Scout Troop in the infield of Timonium fairgrounds race track, to join us, so we headed out without him (me feeling a bit guilty).

Underway at about 3:40pm, taking the scenic route from Reisterstown, along Butler Rd, to Tufton, to Shawan Rd and I-83N. Once on 83, I worry that about going too quickly or slowly, as we take on the fast lane toward York, PA but then I realize that maria is staying right with me and I relax.

Having bike to bike com would have made this a breeze to do, but there aren't many decisions to be made on this trip, so it works. We zing through York and Harrisburg. > Some dippy woman decides to remain in her disappearing lane on the Susquehanna River bridge and merge into me. Fortunately I see this coming and get out of her way, but I lose maria in my rearview. Uh oh... then I see her, and know she'll catch up.

On to Hershey. But first, one side stop to check off "caverns." We take the exit for "Indian Echo Caverns" for one of the items and then head on the few miles to Hershey.

First, a pic of the Lightening Racer - "wooden roller coaster." Then to the Hershey Chocolate Factory visitor's center... the parking lot is packed!

There's a Halloween celebration in HersheyPark. Woo freakin HOO! We circle around the parking lot, unable to find a place to stop and get a pic of the chocolate factory. Finally, maria recommends we just pull into the "bus drop off only" lane for a pic and quick getaway. People walk by eyeing the two of us like we're from another planet.

Next: gas, potty stop, and dinner, while we wait for the sun to go down and darkness to set in. From previous visits, I remember there's a RubyAppleFridaysLobster place, up on the hill across from the Sheetz where we get gas.

Hmmm, I note the parking lot not tooo crowded, as we approach.

After a minor miscue turning into the lot, maria finds a space in view of the front door and we de-gear and head in. Ah, it's nice to be warm.

We sit down to a yummy, though not memorable, meal, and light conversation. The folks at the next table are quite an interesting bunch... it takes a bit before we figure out that what sounds like some secret code is a NASCAR racing discussion. As we sit, they are served a large quantity of alcohol and appetizers, then they order a full meal, PLUS. Yikes.

We finish our meal, pay the check and head back out to gear up. I've got to change my helmet visor for the clear one, and maria digs out her electric jacket... good thing she had brought it along! It is a bit cool, probably low 50s or even the 40's as we set out for home. I'm grateful that I wore my Rev'It Motion. I'm nice and toasty.

The ride home is mostly uneventful. Less traffic, but the visibility isn't as good. I'm glad that I've navigated this route so often.

At Shawan Rd, I exit and Maria continues home. Not a bad evening's ride:
190+ miles, and Gryndl is now 125 miles short of 10K. Cool!!

P

Lion_Lady

"Family Riding"

#10 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Okay, got to share this...

Last night was one of my local BMW club's monthly RTE's (Ride to Eat). It was only about 10 miles from our house and the temperature was in the 70s. I figure, WHY NOT?? There's a near direct path to get there that is on two lane roads with very little traffic.

We've got helmets for both kids (son, 14 and daughter, 16) and we're working on getting full gear for both of them. Sorry folks, only have a jacket for the dd so far.

So I took my dd around a nice little loop just to see how she did - I'd taken her out on my CS, but I was a bit unnerved at how much she could influence the bike's travel with her weight shift.

Anyhow. On the Rockster, she was a MODEL pillion! Didn't pull on the bike to mount and kept herself balanced, moving with the motorcycle. Aside from the additional weight, I barely knew she was there.

DS rode on the back of hubby's R1100RS and looked almost like a big backpack. The ride was wonderful.

Only one 'incident': As we were riding along past some farm houses, a dalmation size DUMB DOG, just strolled out in front of hubby (his buddy stayed in the driveway) - Chaz braked hard and aimed for the space between dogs <YIKES!!> I braked as well, and felt dd's helmet smack mine once.

We pulled up to the restaurant and a couple folks were there. We made quite an entrance. The kids were all smiles.
On the ride home, ds nearly fell asleep.
>>>>>

Today, its in the mid 70's and dd has requested that I pick her up from her after school club on the motorcycle... hmmm. With gas now near $3 a gallon and both cars getting only 22-24 mpg. Taking the mc for the 40 mile round trip makes a LOT of sense.

Except the part where I decide to take the Beltway to GET there.... Grrrr. Stop and go traffic. <Sigh>

Arrive only 15 minutes late. DD bounds across the bus loop to meet me, and as we gear up, one of her school buds comes over to inspect the bike. He's very impressed.

I decide to opt out of the Beltway for the home trip and choose instead one of MD's noted scenic byways... Falls Rd/SR 25. Through Greenspring Valley and rolling farmland. Then we turn and go past the site of the Maryland Hunt Cup Steeplechase, Tufton Rd.

A lovely ride indeed. The only problem so far is that I can't talk to her and point out the stuff I see or ask how she's doing...

NOW I'm starting to consider a way to justify adding to my Autocom unit for Rider to Passenger communications.