Sweet Tooth's Blog - A Ladies Perspective...

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

Sweet Tooth's Blog - A Ladies Perspective...

#1 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

At first I didn’t find a use for starting a blog because I’m so new to this sport, but then I realized that it might help other newbie ladies out there that are in the same boat. So at the risk of being laughed at by more seasoned riders…here it goes... :roll:

First a little background. I’m a 31 years old, married and mother of 3 kids ages 11, 7, and 2 (yeah I started young, I know) . I work fulltime as an IT Purchasing Agent and I’m going to school to finish my Bachelors Degree. I guess you could say I have a pretty busy schedule

Fast forward to what brought me to riding… It’s all my sisters boyfriends fault! He rides and when he came into the picture EVERYONE got the bug. My husband, which had not ridden in 15 years, and my brother both bought bikes. So the girls rode as passengers with the guys until I decided that I wanted to try it for myself. Although I was having a good time as a passenger I knew I would have a great time as a driver, that and I have a slight control issue but this would be the only time that I’ll admit to that! :lol:

February 24th MSF – This is where you’ll get my details, I had posted that I went to the classes and passed but this is what it took! It was time for my MSF classes which I was taking with my husband. I wasn’t sure if it was a good idea to take it with him, but I did it anyways. First day it was all class room, second day it was half on the range and half off. I was the only girl in the class and the only one that had never really driven a motorcycle before. Everyone else was taking it as a refresher or because they were now of age and have been riding with out an endorsement all this time.

I’ll spare the class details and just say that by the end of the day I just wanted to go home, take a shower, have a good cry (what can I say I was tired and over whelmed) and go to sleep… :frusty: . I never dropped the biked or did anything dangerous but it was really overwhelming because I had never ridden OR driven stick shift. I caught on pretty quick but it was a lot of info. I would look at the instructor go through the course and I would think to myself “How the heck am I goanna do that?!” :dontgetit: But I got on the bike did it and went on with it.

Second day, it really took everything that I had to go back…LOL but I went anyways and did so much better than the first day. I found myself actually enjoying it at this point. I passed all the tests did great on the range except for going a bit out of the box but recovered and went on. I was the newbie on the range but not the worst driver, which is pretty scary now that I think about it !... I felt on top of the world when the class was over, major sense of accomplishment. 8)

First Bike
The same day I passed the MSF class I went and bought my bike. It didn’t take long before I fell in love with my Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 800. Took that bad boy home and practiced, after work, early on the weekends etc…

Practice – When I first got on my bike I had my husband show me where all the controls were. I felt the friction zone, walked it to the end of the block and my husband walked next to me, I got a feel for it started going faster, husband is still next to me now walking faster…lol Finally I got it and took off, husband is now jogging next to me! :wtf: So I turned the corner and lost him, all of the sudden I hear him ON HIS BIKE behind me?!?!?! I know that he was concerned but if something was going to happen there was nothing that he was going to do to stop it and probably made me more nervous by stalking me. He soon realized that I was going to be okay…

Practicing was frustrating at times because I would forget to DOWN SHIFT and felt my stomach turn every time I came to a stop sign…LOL. Some days were good and some were a learning experience. I remember taking my bike out one night after a bad day at work (red flag #1) I didn’t get too far before I stalled at a couple of stop signs, I turned right back around, parked it in the garage and called it a day. It’s just was not a good day to ride. BUT the next day I got right back on and had an awesome time. That’s what it’s all about, learn from it get back on and keep going. Back to my red flag #1, if you are not ready and in the right frame of mind, you won’t have a positive riding experience…oh so true.

As part of my practicing I actually bought cones and would take them to empty parking lots to practice my emergency stopping and swerving. It has really paid off! Swerving on that small 125 in the class and swerving in my 800 are two different things.

Where I am today – Super comfortable on my bike. I love that I’ve been able to go from being intimidated to riding like it was second nature. This weekend will be my first ride out of town on my own bike. :spot: It’s just a day trip but it’ll give me a new experience with new roads and different conditions. I’ll be with 3 other bikes, all family and on of them my husband. I offered to take him as a passenger but he wouldn’t have it…LOL oh well at least he’ll have my back. I’ve already warned him not to invade my riding space.

I'll let you guys know how it goes...

If you've read this far, thanks for your intrest!!

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#2 Unread post by fireguzzi »

I look forward to hearing all about your ride!

If your hubby does invade your riding space then you could just.......deprive him! LOL
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

Re: Sweet Tooth's Blog - A Ladies Perspective...

#3 Unread post by ZooTech »

Sweet Tooth wrote:First Bike
The same day I passed the MSF class I went and bought my bike. It didn’t take long before I fell in love with my Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 800.
Have you considered joining VROC? There are a lot of 800 owners, many in your area. It would be worth joining just to tap into the wealth of knowledge regarding that bike, should you need it.

Loonette
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

#4 Unread post by Loonette »

Every new experience on a bike is so wonderful. Glad you're enjoying your Vulcan - ride safe!

Cheers,
Loonette
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

I wasen't able to head out on my bike on Saturday because I sprained my wrist doing something ultra stupid... Friday night I was out and about on the bike, when I got on my bike and went to tilt it a bit to put the kick stand up, I tilted it a little to much to the side, JUST past the balance point and had to jerk it back with my hand so it wouldn't fall over. There went my wrist! Nice eh?! I dont know what the heck I was thinking, I usualy dont have to tilt it that much to put the stand up but I was just eathing poo-poo. We'll it cost me my ride and I had to hop on with my husband on Saturday. My wrist it just now feeling better.

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Finally out!

#6 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

My wrist is finally okay and I took advantage of the beautiful weather and got out to get some miles. I geared up hoped on the bike and got the heck out of here. I didn't have a destination but just took to the roads and just wanted to feel the wind in my face again.

Everything was going great untill all of the sudden the bike lost power....I was like "WTF?!" I didn't get it? I was changing gears fine (thank God!) I wasen't stalling just slowing down, I twist the throttle and nothing... :frusty: I decided to pull over to check it out. I didn't turn of the engine switch by accident and it wasent the battery because my lights were on, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON... Ofcourse this happend when im by myself and my husband is home with the kids...lol But I refuse to call him. Finally it dawns on me...I check the gas tank of ofcourse...I had ran out of gas. :lol: I switched it on reserve and headed to the nearest station to fill up.

So, note to newbies....always remember to check the gas tank!
Note to husbands that like to ride your wife's bike...always tell your wife when you took her bike so that she knows when to put gas!!!

Kim
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Kim »

Great story Sweet! Very encouraging. I'm not at the second nature stage yet, but feel myself getting there.

My story is similar to yours except I never did finish the MSF course. I actually showed up for the second day and just couldn't bring myself to go out there. I ended up going home. Riding on a learner's permit now.
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

Kim wrote:Great story Sweet! Very encouraging. I'm not at the second nature stage yet, but feel myself getting there.

My story is similar to yours except I never did finish the MSF course. I actually showed up for the second day and just couldn't bring myself to go out there. I ended up going home. Riding on a learner's permit now.
It can be intimidating, but not impossible the more you practice the better you'll get!

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

What a beautiful day outside....

#9 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

I was so happy that I could get in a couple of hours of riding this morning 8) . I've been so busy with work and the family and school that I hardly have any spare time. Geared up, GASED up! and my husband and I headed out about 8am and took about a 3 hour ride :biker: .

I have to say that today was my best day riding yet. I made a couple of wide turns in the begining, but worked on it through out the day and got better at it. By the end of the day my turns were nice and tight. There was a point there where I was cruising along by my husband and was so happy to finaly to be this point where I can enjoy the riding. I looked over to him on his bike and realized that this is where I wanted to be. Out enjoying a beautiful morning and riding my own bike! Looking back at my first day at the MSF class, this was a major accomplishment for me!!! Perfect example to everyone that it just takes some practice.

We had a great ride and were almost home when we passed by a construction area. There were a couple of trenches on the street that were covered by those huge steel sheets, went over those, no big deal. Keep going down the street and notice that there is an uncovered trench up ahead, nothing super deep maybe 3 inches and 2 feet wide going across both lanes. My husband was in front of me, he slows down, lifts his butt of the seat a bit, shifts his weight as we're taught to do in the MSF class and passes it fine. So I said, "ok no big deal I'll do the same" WRONG!!! I must have not shifted my weight properly and my front end went down hard!....I heard a crack and just about lost it. I pulled over and saw that my friggen horn is mounted in front of my radiator and had dug into my front fender making a crack in it about 2 inches wide :evil: . :wtf: I wanted to hurt someone! It's not really visible and towards the back of the fender, BUT DAMN!!! anyways... I rode back home, cleaned up the bike and now I have to figure out if it can be fixed or if it has to be replaced. :roll:

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by Sev »

Ouch
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]