Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Wed May 23, 2007 8:44 am

What's up with the "laying down"?

Went for a group ride last weekend and had two more bikes go down. The first got cut off by another rider at an intersection (cut off by his son no less) and spiked his front brake causing him to lay over. He tried to hold it up but, didn't have the strength. It was too far over. Just hurt his pride and a minor scratch on the engine guard and mirror. The second bike was a brand new, less than 200 miles on it, Streetglide. Husband and wife were riding two-up. We were in a parking lot getting ready to leave and all of a sudden they were down. We think he may have leaned to sharply and caught the running board. Again, nobody hurt and only minor damage.

It's just starting to freak me out! The last 3 group rides someone has gone down. Told the group I'm going to quit carrying my first aid kit since that's when the mishaps starting happening. :laughing:

I've also decided to buy a pair of chaps for a couple reasons. First, to fit in. Even the "Wingers" in my group wear them... :lol: Second, to keep me dryer. My rain pants soaked through during a long ride a couple weeks ago so, I went out and bought a new pair. I should have bought motorcycle specific. These were more like golf windbreaker type things. They're worse than my old ones. They soaked through faster and all over instead of just the legs. The new ones soaked through the butt and crotch area. The ride is no longer fun when "the boys" are cold and wet. :laugh5:

Planning on attending a bike night on Thursday and maybe doing a dice run on Sunday. Never been to either so, it should be interesting. I'll try and take pics at the bike night. Not sure I'm going to bike night. It'll depend on how long my wife wants to drive around in her new car.

We bought a 2007 Dodge Caliber and we're picking it up Thursday morning. Here's what it'll look like....

We got the R/T AWD with heated seats, daytime running lights, driver convenience group that includes tire pressure monitor, a trailer hitch and the fancier wheels (just because the one they found has them).

Have Fun and Stay Safe Out There!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Bike Night Pics

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Thu May 24, 2007 9:17 pm

Here's a link to pics from Bike Night at Quaker Steak & Lube in Erie PA;

Bike Night Pics

Hope you enjoy. Mostly cruisers of course. A couple trikes and a few sportbikes. A group of sporties pulled in just as we were pulling out so, I didn't have time to get pics of them. One was a Triumph and one was covered in leapard skin cloth of some kind. A couple other interesting bikes I do have pics of are a Royal Enfield and a Triumph Bonneville.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Vacation

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:50 am

My wife and I just returned from a very relaxing vacation in Kentucky. Didn't ride unfortunately but, the new cage was very comfortable. We were there for our friend's wedding.

Some really nice looking roads for riding in the Louisville area. 31E and 49 would definitely rock!

Thursday; We arrived in Bardstown, KY. It was a neat town to stay in. Lots of history if you're into that kind of thing (It's the second oldest town in KY.) including four museums; Civil War Museum focussing on the Western battles, Women of the Civil War Museum, Old Bardstown was a group of cabins rebuilt using original logs from the frontier town and a Wild Life Museum.

The day was spent drinking, going to dinner with the other guests that had arrived, watching the groom almost get arrested and more drinking.

Friday; We spent the morning relaxing before heading to the airport to pick up a couple more friends. We then headed to Lorretto for the rehearsal.

The ceremony is taking place at the Makers Mark Distillary in Lorretto, KY. Awesome place to tour. And, of course, I brought home some tastey souveniers.

After rehearsal, we headed to Churchhill Downs where they have the Kentucky Derby. It was a lot of fun. We spent a few hours betting on horse races and enjoying the company. Unfortunately, I managed to spill mustard on my shirt and we were headed for the rehearsal dinner when we left. So, I bought a new polo shirt for $50. Ended up being an expensive hotdog... *lol*

Next came "4th Street Live" where the bride and groom both work for the rehearsal dinner. WOW! Definitely head there for some great night life partying. Be sure to bring lots of money or credit though. Food and Drink was a bit expensive for this country boy's wallet. This place is just crazy. It's an area blocked off for street parties. It has shops, bars, restaurants, street artists and special events. You can take your drinks from place to place. Another great time spent eating and drinking with friends.

Saturday; We spent Saturday morning relaxing and touring the town. Unfortunately, the Dinner Train wasn't open. Had all day to play since the wedding wasn't until 6pm.

The Ceremony was beautiful. It was outside one of the Makers Mark buildings with lots of trees and a creek, etc.

The Reception was held in the yard of the original Makers Mark homestead. The party lasted until after midnight. After the reception, we all headed back to the hotel for more drinking and partying. Finally headed to bed around 2:30am.

Sunday; We spent Sunday morning touring the museums before taking our friends back to the airport and beginning the slow trip back to reality. The only place we took pictures was Old Bardstown Village. We decided to stop at a hotel about three hours from home to enjoy one more night away.

Monday; I just happened to pull off on the exit where the Columbus OH Harley Dealership is so, we spent some time in the morning looking around there.

We finally headed for home and spent the late afternoon and early evening visiting our parents before finally coming home to unpack.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by Shorts » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:05 pm

Wow, one heckuva vacation! 8)

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Johnstown Thunder in the Valley

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:17 am

Took a ride down to Thunder in the Valley. WOW! What an experience. Everywhere you walked or looked there were bikes. Parked along the street. Parked in lots. Riding around the streets. It was just incredible. If you've never been to a big motorcycle weekend/rally/whatever they call them in your area, GO! I brought home a booklet with a list of events and we missed a great deal by only going for a couple hours one day. The estimated attendence from Thursday through Saturday afternoon was 180,000. The daytime stuff is all family friendly with a lot of kids around and activity and events for them. Take a camera! I didn't take mine and I regret it. I'm definitely taking it with me next year.

Guess that's it!

Stay Safe Out There!

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

S-50

Unread post by slimcolo » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:29 pm

Sorry but I just realized that a S-50 isn't a 50cc. ( I am used to Jap bikes being in cc and Harleys being in inches, the world has turned upside down)

I've seen them around but always heard them called Boulevard and not the alpha/numeric S-50. Many ppl when I tell them I have a R100 BMW say they didn't know that BMW made 100cc bikes. Older Beemers use 1=10 so a R100 is 1000cc.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:14 pm

I got in the habit of using the S-50 jargan because the entire line is Boulevard. And, when I call it an Intruder, people assume it's the "old" version of the bike. Not that it's changed much in the last 10 years. :laughing: It's a 50 ci and 805 cc.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Black Bear

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:57 pm

Not a motorcycle related post but, I wanted to post it anyway. Here's a picture of a black bear photographed in my parents back yard. He/she hung around for about 30 minutes while we watched. My dad and I even yelled at it when it started to smash their aluminum can. It simply ignored us and continued to try and open the can. The only time it ran off was after tipping the can over. The bear nudged the can making it start to roll down the hill. :laughing:

We were on a second story patio and 15 to 20 yards away while I was taking the pictures. More can be found here. Unfortunately, a lot of them are blurry.

Stay Safe Out There!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Thunder In The Streets - Jamestown, NY

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:09 pm

Took a ride up to Thunder In The Streets in Jamestown NY. It was fun. Not a whole lot of vendors but, they had some good shows. Music on a couple stages, stunt bike show and Biker Billy among other entertainment. Pics of some of the bikes can be found here. Hope you all enjoy!

Stay Safe Out There!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Upcoming Events

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:44 pm

Just thought I'd post a couple upcoming events in case anyone is in the Erie area during August:

August 10 thru 12 Roar On The Shore in Erie PA. This is the first year for the event. Peter Fonda will be the guest of honor and lead the bike parade on Friday, August 10th.

August 24 thru 26 Rumble On The River in Tionesta PA. This is the second year for the event. Last year's event was only one day and drew an estimated 8,000 visitors. This year it is expanded to three days and will feature Arlen Ness as the special guest.

Stay Safe Out There!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:55 pm

I added a set of National Cycle Handguards to my bike today. Got a great deal on a set of used ones on eBay:

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Been a while...

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:07 pm

I didn't realize it had been so long since I posted in my Blog:

I've got around 6,700 miles on the bike total which means I've put about 4,300 miles on it so far this year. Been to a few nice events but, kept forgetting to take the camera. A bar in my hometown of about 400 people started doing a bike night. The last few turned out between 80 and 100 bikes. Pretty impressive for a "pohdunk" pub.

I've added a tank divider/bra to the bike and I'm waiting for my backrest set to arrive. Both purchased on ebay for GREAT prices. (Pics as soon as I take some.)

I got my wife out for a ride finally. She enjoyed the ride home better than the ride out. We both got over our nervousness. The position isn't very comfortable for her. I'm going to try and have some peg lowering bars made over the winter. A friend offered to do it for free. Also, the seat isn't that comfortable for long rides but I'm not planning on getting a new one. The reason for that will be covered in the next post. I need to get her some proper riding gear. It's just a matter of talking her into going to try it on. She doesn't want to spend the extra money right now for the little she's going to ride. She has her own full face helmet and she wears a pair of my boots and gloves. For a jacket, she wears a "Carhardt" type material.

My deer avoidance whistle broke down and had to be returned to the manufacturer. The turn around was very rapid and no hassle. I definitely see fewer deer with it activated and, the ones I do see are ready to bolt away. I think it was a worthwhile investment.

I guess that's it for this post. Stay Safe Out There!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Decisions, Decisions

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:21 pm

Well, we're starting to look for our next bike already. We're a year or two from purchase but, she seems as excited as me to go look at them.

Thanks for the info and input from the folks I pm'd about the FJR. The position just wasn't comfortable for her.

Right now, our three top choices are:

Yamaha Royal Venture (We both LOVE the '08 two tone);

Honda Goldwing Premium Sound Edition;

Harley Electra Glide Classic FLHTC;

The Yamaha is the top choice at the moment. Other than being carbed, I love everything about it and, it felt the most comfortable with my short legs.

The Honda is number two. They're just so much bike for the money. Slightly less comfortable straddling it but, the balance was superb.

The Harley is a nice bike but, you get fewer options for the same money and, it's just really wide. I felt too stretched when holding it upright.

Next to come will be the test rides. I need to call the Yamaha dealer to set up a test ride (assuming they don't sell it before I call). The Honda dealer is supposed to call when they get one in for me to ride. Finally, the Harley. I'm undecided about even taking a test ride on one this year. I'll probably wait until next Spring at the earliest. Of course, I may be waiting until next Spring to ride any of them to be honest. The only definite maybe for this fall is the Yamaha..... We'll see.

Thanks for listening to me babble!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Unread post by Wrider » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:12 am

Wow... You wanna go to those after an S50??? Lol Talk about a difference in horsepower! :D
I've got a friend with the Yamaha, and he loves it, been riding all his life.
As for the Goldwing, can't beat it for two-up touring...
As for the Harley... Well, it's a harley... :lol:
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:49 am

Yeah, it's quite a leap. Going from "mid" cruiser to "Road Sofa". What can I say? I'm an old guy at heart.... :laughing:. The HP and Torque will definitely take some getting used to.

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:55 pm

Howdy all! I hope everyone is well and that those in the Northern Climates are having a mild winter. Ours has been "so-so".

Doesn't look like I'll be getting a new ride in the next couple years like I had planned. I started a poker chip sales business that is taking most of my "extra" income and time. The site is http://www.spot-this.com if anyone is interested.

I made a couple additions to the bike. I picked up a backrest on ebay that has been installed and a pillow touring seat, also from ebay, that still needs to be installed. I'm planning on giving the bike a good cleaning sometime next month.

Until next time; Have fun and stay safe out there all!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Riding Season Is Back Again!

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:14 pm

:biker:

It's time to start riding again here in NW Pennsylvania! I still didn't break the bike down and do a total cleaning the way I wanted but, it's cleaner. I'll get some pics up sometime this month.

Stay Safe Out There!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Still no picture updates of my Zuke. Had a blast doing some test rides today though!

I rode the Can-Am Spyder; WOW! Fun ride! Might have to put that into consideration for our next bike. My wife likes the look of it and thinks she may want that instead of my Zuke. It's got stability control, traction control, ABS, choice of standard or semi-auto transmission, power steering and lots of storage space. The computer also learns how you drive. It really does. I didn't like the ride at first. The steering felt "twitchy" to me. But, after about 15 or 20 minutes it smoothed right out. The position was sport/touring 'ish but I found it comfortable. Not sure how I'd like to ride for a few hours that way. There are some riser options to put you into a more upright position. If you get a chance, ride one for yourself!

I also rode the Honda Gold Wing; This bike is easy to ride and I could see myself on one of these. Despite its size, it felt very nimble. All of the buttons seemed a bit overwhelming initially but I think they'd be easy to learn. I barely felt the normal bumps in the road. It was smooth with A LOT of torque. It was a touch tall when stopped but not horrible and this could be corrected with a lower seat.

I still need to ride the Victory Vision this fall and I hope to ride a couple Harley's this summer or fall. I've ruled out the Yamaha Royal Venture. They're extremely expensive to insure. I've also ruled out the BMW simply because of the lack of a dealership closer than a 90 minute drive. I really don't want to have to pay to have it trailered that far or be stuck there overnight while it's worked on, etc.

Guess that's it for updates! Stay Safe Out There!

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: Scoutmedic -- The trials and journies of a *n00b*

Unread post by Scoutmedic » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:02 pm

Not a very eventful year in 2009. Unfortunately, I was only able to put around 1,500 miles on my bike. Too many other things got in the way. The only big riding related thing I did was join my local Fire & Iron Motorcycle Club Station 281. Fire & Iron is a neutral motorcycle club composed of Fire and EMS folks that like to ride.

I'm hoping 2010 will be a better riding year for me! The Zuke will be paid off next month and I've continued the search for my next ride. I had planned on buying a 2010 Goldwing early in 2011 but, I don't think that's going to happen. So, I've started my search for a used Wing. I'm hoping to buy late this season or early next season. But, you never know! I may find something else to tied me over. I definitely want something that will be more comfortable for longer distances. The Zuke just doesn't cut it for me. And, it's even worse when my wife is along.

2010 also finds me involved with two causes locally. The first is the 3rd Annual Michael D Crotty Memorial Bike Run on Saturday June 26, 2010. The second is the American Veterans Traveling Tribute - Erie starting with a Wall Escort on Wednesday August 25, 2010. There will also be a second ride, The Ride to the Wall, on Saturday August 28, 2010. The Traveling Tribute will be available for viewing with events honoring our American Veterans as well as First Responders from Wednesday August 25, 2010 to Sunday August 29, 2010.

Guess that's it for now! Stay Safe Out There!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: Scoutmedic -- The trials and journies of a *n00b*

Unread post by Wrider » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:19 pm

Very nice, and if it helps there's a place here locally that always has used Wings for sale. Right now they've got a very pretty 1800 for a good price...
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha