CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male

#61 Unread post by CNF2002 »

Friday
Miles: 6,821
Mood: :inlove2:

Confession #22- I get nostalgic sometimes.

You never know when a car might become a classic. It makes sense then that every car you own, you should take care of it as much as possible. I certainly do, I keep them clean, keep them running in top shape, have any physical damage fixed. We spend upwards of twenty-thousand-dollars on a car, why shouldn't we do everything we can to keep it in like-new condition?

I get nostalgic sometimes. I miss my old cars, the ones that were traded in or sold so I could buy the next toy (and all cars are toys, beyond being the 4-wheeled, or 2-wheeled transportation devices that they are, the rest of it is just for fun). Ever wonder where that 1975 Ford is? That 1991 Sundance?

I saw a mercedes on the freeway today. Okay, not a huge event that deserves a celebration, but it was a cute little car, a small early 90s 4-door sedan.

And as I was looking at this car, this beaten up old mercedes with a missing hubcap, busted and duct-taped taillight, banged up doors and purple & bubbly tinted windshields with jagged strips pealed away (I shudder to think what it smelled like inside) I thought to myself, 15 years ago this car cost $40,000.

It would have had that new car smell, perfect paint, shiny wheels. Bought no doubt by a wealthy couple and parked next to the mercedes station wagon in the 3-car garage of the 2,300 sq ft 2-story home. It was probably washed at least twice a month, given full service by trained mercedes technicians, and the keys handed over to be parked professionally by the valet of the metropolitan opera house.

Yet now its hood vibrates because it is held down with a string of yellow rope.

There is absolutely no reason why, with some time and effort (and, well, some cash) a car cannot last half a century and still look beautiful. Why then, does a $40,000 car now cost only $500 and no one would ever actually pay that anyway unless they absolutely had to?

I wonder where my first car is. I kept such good care of it, it ran like a top, and it shined like new. Who knows? It may be in a junk yard, or it may be rattling down the road with the muffler sparking along the pavement.

I suppose its impossible to take care of everything you owned forever, especially when you have to get rid of it to make room for the newest and coolest. But, I think, it sure would be nice if the next owner would take the same pride in it that you did.
Last edited by CNF2002 on Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#62 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

What a great blog, I'm on day #8 (ya, just found your blog) and love it. Very unqiue perspective on riding and reality. Wonderful piece of writing. :D

Keep going, you've got more fans than just me and 1,725 reads so far, great job!

Update (1 hour later)... Ok, you've kept me at work on a Friday evening reading, laughing, enjoying your "Confessions of a Commuter" blog. My wife will be home late from work due to a "pay out" party (when someone leaves they go to a bar after work). Now I'm still reading it, eating 2 burgers and drinking a cold beer.

I think you deserve a :star: from me. :moose:

:cheers:

Mike.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#63 Unread post by CNF2002 »

Monday
Mood: :dontgetit:

Confession #23- I'm not too smart.

It was pouring down rain this morning. Bright lightning, shake-the-windows thunder, bloody cat-scratched legs as they grab on and won't let go, shivering with terror. You're torn between getting another hour of sleep and getting up and watching the storm.

What is so exciting about a storm anyway?

In any case, with the pouring rain, you'll forgive me if I took the SUV instead of the motorcycle. Far be it for me to offend anyone who happily rides in the rain, as I sure enjoy it also, but employers generally frown upon their workers sloshing in the front door and leaving giant puddles on the carpet everywhere until around noon when they finally become dry enough to avoid leaking. Been there, done that.

However I must admit, driving to work in the pouring rain is almost as entertaining as riding to work on a sunny, cool day. During any heavy rainstorm we have the inevitable accidents (now pause here to note that I am not entertained by the accidents) which cause the inevitable traffic jams. Not the normal commute jam, the 1mph gridlock where everyone has filled all lanes including both shoulders and are still sitting there.

It is now that it is revealed who is afflicted with Must-Keep-Moving Syndrome. These are people who, despite all logic and the fact that they turn around in the middle of a freeway to go in the opposite direction they need to, feel that if they keep moving they are still making good time.

Now it took me only 14 extra minutes to arrive to work today, but the Must-Keep-Moving addicts just couldn't wait that long and decided to drive around the entire city and head in from the other side.

It's popcorn time! Contestant #1 is a white s40 volvo sedan. His task; cross a 60 yard grassy, muddy, swamp-like rain-filled median to reach the other side of the freeway.

And he's off! Contestants # 2 & 3 immediately follow suit. I have to stop and watch this. This is just going to be too fun.

Oh no! Contestant #1 only makes it half-way...the emergency blinkers come on! #2 is really gunning it. Mud flying everywhere...slowly...crawling, oh and he's stuck!

#3 resorts to plan B. He turns around to head back to the starting line but oh! As soon as he turns his front wheels he digs in and he's down for the count.

Good game, good game. I declare the winner to be the tow truck driver, who before the match even started had pulled to the side of the road, stepped out, and leaned against the side fender with his arms crossed and a big grin on his face.

On down the road.

Now I'm not too smart, but even I can figure out that attempting to drive up a muddy, grassy slope in a 2-wheel-drive station wagon to reach the offramp that you missed 30 feet ago because you didn't think to get off the freeway until it was too late is a bad, bad, no good, very bad idea.

What a great way to start the morning.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#64 Unread post by NorthernPete »

A1!!! Tow truck driver FTW.....

I love it when 2WD try to do some mud boggin.....
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#65 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

Great blog...very entertaining...

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#66 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

CNF2002 wrote:
Hence my proposal. Everyone who acquires a license and a car is required to be monitored in a lab for 1 year. At the end of the year, they get a sticker on their bumper indicating their rating, from NS (not stupid) to ESD (extremely stupid du...well, you know).

Then, when mom and pop are taking their impressionable young child to school and they see a car rated inappropriately, they can get out of the way, and shield the poor young things eyes from witnessing it.

We need this kind of regulation on our roads. Do it for your commute. Do it for your children, before they begin to mimic what they see on the roads, and stupidity ends up in our schools.
Dude your hysterical... :laughing:

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#67 Unread post by CNF2002 »

Tuesday
Mood: :littlebike1:

Confession #24- I'm filing for a separation!

Help! Help me! I'm being held against my will. It's hot and damp and sticky and I haven't seen anyone for hours. Everyone just ignores me; I'm being neglected and abused. Traumatized, you see, from lack of exercise.

What happened? It was all going so well. I've been sitting here for four days now and nothing. No action at all. What am I supposed to do all by myself?

You came out this morning and just ignored me. Not even a little reassuring pat or a kiss on the headlight. And then you left. You left with her.

That's it isn't it? It's her. I've seen the way you look at her and spend time with her on the weekends. I have to sit here and watch you wash her and rub her down with that expensive polish. The only wash I ever see is when I get a little road splatter from my tires. What does she have that I don't anyway? A couple extra wheels? A roof? Aw, is the poor little baby afraid to get a little wet in the morning? You're such a girl. You know a sexy blonde with a squiggly tattoo at the small of her back was checking me out just hours before I ended up stuck with you. And she probably had more stones than you do.

At least if I was with her I'd still be purple. Look at me...I look like a...like a...boy! Yeah, what does that say about your bedtime preferences, hey tough guy?

I didn't mean that, I'm sorry. I really do just want some attention. I'm happy to see you in the morning. I'd wag my tail if I had one. We need to get back on the road and have some fun, just like the good old days. I'm not getting any younger you know, I swear yesterday I found a spot of rust on my fender. Rain rain go away! I think my tires are getting flat spots. All my oil has drained down into my pan. It's going to hurt the next time you get me all fired up. Take it slow, okay?

Look at me...I've gone mad. I'm sitting here in the dark just talking to myself. And you know what? The lawnmower isn't much of a conversationalist. Just wait, when you get back I'm going to have a little one on one with that floozy you've been commuting with. Just a minute alone and POW, shift lever right to the sidewall. Lets see how far those four wheels get you when one of them is flat. Two extra wheels doesn't seem so impressive now does it buddy?

I'm leaving you. I'm filing for a separation. Maybe that blonde is still looking for a bike.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\

rapidblue
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#68 Unread post by rapidblue »

haha awesome, this blog's a good read. Keep it up :righton:
80 honda CB750F Super Sport

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#69 Unread post by NorthernPete »

me thinks our bikes have things in common.....

:laughing:
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

imorgan202
Regular
Regular

#70 Unread post by imorgan202 »

You're not kidding. I swear machines have a soul....every vehicle I have tried to sell gets very upset when I have tried to sell it. One of my Jeeps started honking the horn randomly as soon as I put a "For Sale" sign in the window, and miraculously stopped the second I took the sign down! An FJ40 Landcruiser I had cracked a radiator upon finding out. My WRX decided to explode its transmission only moments after I told someone in the passenger's seat I was selling the car. Maybe it's because I talk to them (ok, so I'm a little nuts), but I swear....I'm going to end up with a barn full of cars I'm afraid to sell, although I don't know if it will be from fear or unwillingness.

Ian