Froldt is JoeMotorcycle

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

Froldt is JoeMotorcycle

#1 Unread post by froldt »

Back when I seriously began thinking about me on a bike, I thought of JoeMotorcycle. I'm just an average Joe, who wants a bike.
So that's where the JoeMotorcycle comes from.

I get a smile everytime someone on a bike passes me, no matter what kind it is.
I hate being in my car (though I haven't ridden yet), and have to have the windows down.
I talk about bikes so much (the ones I'm looking at/researching) that my friends get that glazed look in their eyes.
I will drive a crappy car so that I can afford a better bike.
Whatever's in the laundry room will get moved out, if my bike-to-be needs the space.

What about you? Are you (Jane) JoeMotorcycle?

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by KarateChick »

John, Joe, Jane, whatever...m-cycling will get into your blood. NOW'S the time to do it so go ahead, jump in, just do it and good luck.

Are you new it all or what? Tell us more...
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

Wooing the Ladies

#3 Unread post by froldt »

I've been out and about the last couple of days, checking on various bikes. I've hit most of the local dealerships, just trying out different models.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to ride any of them, just sit on them in the show-rooms.
Let's see...

V-Star Midnight Custom - I duck-walked this bike around in the warehouse, and it seemed to be fairly well balanced. Quite comfortable, for the time I was on it. It seems heavy enough to be alright out on the road, and the salesman (so take it for what it's worth) told me it would be fine for the little bit of touring I want to do in the future.
The salesman didn't push me for a bigger bike, no pressure to buy at all. He emphasized that they are very customer oriented, and want to help out all they can. I enjoyed talking with him.

Shadow VLX - thought this was a sharp looking bike, but wish it had a bigger tank. Didn't get to sit on it, as that dealership always seems sort of... showish? I liked the last time I was there better, the saleswoman seemed more open/friendly than the man I had this time.
There is one of these used down the road from where I work, an '03 with 5500 miles, so I'd probably go used on this one. However, it's just a tad smaller than I'd prefer (a 600 as opposed to a 750). I know it's fine for just me, but I plan, in the future, to carry a passenger. Then again, who'd need a woman when I have a bike? (nice though, eh?)
This is looking like what I'll get. Can't beat the newness/miles/price ratio.

While I was at the Honda dealership, a man bought himself a new bike (cause his other two aren't enough, apparently). He and his friend left shortly before I headed out. I headed to the Suzuki dealership, and ran into them again. They asked what I was looking for and then steered me out of the showroom to the front of the building and tried to sell me on a bike sitting there. They are brothers who retired, started a trucking company, and were goofing off so they didn't have to go back to the office. Haha! Really nice guys, with some good advice.
Once they left, I headed into the showroom (out of the sun, whew!), with the saleswoman, and checked out what all they had there.

I thought that the M50 was decent looking, but the seat felt almost too wide. It almost seemed top-heavy, for some reason, sitting there in the show-room.
The S83 caught my attention as well. I'd prefer an S50, but they didn't have one sitting there. I believe that these are a bit taller than I want, after sitting on the other cruisers. I had no problem flat-footing it, though, but it just looks taller. I was surprised when I found out that it is only about 10 lbs lighter than the M50, since it has a higher CG.
The S50 really is more of the look that I am going for, though. Slimmer and lighter looking (IMO).

Of course, after all of that looking and browsing and everything, not that I plan on getting a new bike anytime soon... I was out and about today, just exploring, and I saw the most beautiful bike. I didn't stop to gawk (just slowed as I walked by) on my way to the ice-cream stand, but did stop on the way back. So, purely based on the look, I would have to go for the HD Softail. I don't know which one, just that this was a Softail, and really sharp looking. It's for sale, "Ask for Todd," but I didn't even go in and ask, because I know it's more than I am going to spend just about now.

Well, that has been my "touring the dealerships" experience. I enjoyed it, though I think I am still slightly dehydrated from all of the drool lost. I did find out which dealerships have the best service (at least on that day), even though I am not any closer to choosing a type of bike.

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by froldt »

So then, I suppose I should put a bit about myself.

I've ridden a motorcycle a total of one time thus far in my life. That was a test ride that was perhaps a 1/4 mile loop. I told the guy that I'd never ridden. "Well, can you ride a bicycle?" Yes. "You can ride this." So away I went.
It's a good thing that I'd read the mechanics of riding, otherwise I'd have been at a complete loss. Of course, I was hooked before, and now I'm addicted.

I've wanted a motorcycle for as long as I can remember. Never was able to talk the parents into a dirt bike, though (nor a 4-wheeler or go cart... just the ole mountain bike). Then the girlfriend (who became fiance) was against it, and we were looking at houses, so I didn't really have the money available.

Now, though, it's just me, and I need to extend the credit a bit, try to make it a bit better... and how else would one go about doing this? Obviously, the only way to go about building credit is by purchasing a motorcycle. :D

So, I've been out and about, checking the classifieds, looking around. I grew up all Harley Davidson, so I've had to get past that hurdle. Now I have to get past Mom not wanting me to get an older bike. She wants it to be new so that I don't nickle and dime myself to death keeping it running. Which I understand, but she wants me to spend more than I want to. Bah... it's always something, I suppose.

So, that's a bit more about myself. I've learned a lot here in this forum (and from links I've garnered from it), and have much more to do. Thanks all!

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

Gosh, it's been forever.

#5 Unread post by froldt »

You know, life just gets in the way sometimes. I still haven't managed to get a motorcycle of my own.

I did get myself a new job (car salesman. Anyone need a Chevy or Caddy?) and it pays, currently, better than my last one. Unfortunately, it also takes up way more time, and so I can't get to any bike shops before they close!

I've been doing a little bit of looking still, and as much as I want the Harley, I am thinking about the V-Star Midnight Custom 650. Hopefully Tuesday I'll get to run by the dealership and take her for a test ride.

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#6 Unread post by CNF2002 »

You dont have to nickle and dime an old bike if its reliable and running good. Maintain it and it will last you.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

Wow; long time, no post.

#7 Unread post by froldt »

Well, I'm back. Had to take a leave of absence, the reading and wanting a bike was too much, and I had to give myself a break. However, since then, I've quit my job as a car salesman, completed the MSF course this weekend, and... that's about it. Life as normal.

I loved the MSF course! There were 8 of us to start. My girlfriend was supposed to take it with me, but talked herself out of it. Shame, she would have loved it!
One lady tipped over twice, and was so mad/embarrassed she gave up for the weekend. There was one older couple (mid/low 60's) that weren't exactly in control of their bikes, so they were asked to leave.
5 of us completed the course.

I didn't learn too much, information-wise. In between reading on here, a book or two, and from other riders, I knew most of it.
Having said that, it was an invaluable experience, putting what I know into use, and developing good habits before the bad ones had time to take hold. (For example, I had to learn to use all 4 fingers on the front brake.)

Now I'm looking for a bike (and an RV, but that's another story). Probably I'll end up with a cheapish UJM, or that's what I'm kind of geared towards. It's not what I want, but one will do what I want while I get more comfortable. Now that I'm "parking lot legal" and all, I need a little practice before I get "up to speed."

Well, that ends that, for now. Wish me look in my deal searching!

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by froldt »

Well, I've found a motorcycle that I don't really like, but fits all of my important requirements.

I want a bike that:
a) is mechanically sound
b) is cheap
c) parts are readily avaialble for
d) 650-750 cc's
e) something that I can customize and not worry about hurting the bike/voiding the warranty

I've found an '82 GS750T. The guy's asking just a bit more than I want to pay for it, and with 4 carbs, I think it might get a little less gas mileage than I am hoping for. The thing that is really holding me back is the faring.
This bike has a faring (complete with radio), an adjustable (front to back) sissy bar and sissy bar rack. The faring I plan to take off, the paint all needs redone, and the whole bike needs a thorough cleaning.

I went and looked at it earlier this week, and it's not really what I'm wanting. I keep thinking about it, though, and have come to the conclusion that I need to get a friend of mine to go look at it, to confirm that it's mechanically sound. Then if I can talk the guy down a couple of hundred dollars, I guess I'll go for it, since it really does meet all of my important requirements (besides the faring and lack of saddle bags and all).

By the way, how do you spell faring?

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#9 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

froldt wrote: By the way, how do you spell faring?
fairing. If it isn't what you want, hold out for another bike. There are plenty out there!
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

Happy (belated) Bike Day!

#10 Unread post by froldt »

So Friday I purchased (and insured) the bike! It's a 1982 Suzuki GS750T. They only made the T's for two years, so it's fairly rare, but the engine is common. Yay!
Saturday I went and picked it up, and put just over 100 miles on her. Added a few more today.

So it's official, I'm addicted to my bike!

I've got some pictures, but I'll have to wait till later to upload them. Gotta get some sleep now, so I can ride more tomorrow! :D