If you read my last post, you saw I was having issues with my tail light last week.
Does it ever seem to you that when one thing goes wrong, it starts a whole string of bad events?
I had Monday and Tuesday off, so I decided to do maintenance on my bike and truck. I started off by doing an oil change on the bike, as it was overdue. As I was letting the oil drain, I started trying to figure out what was wrong with my tail light. I pulled the whole assembly off the back fender, as the lens was stuck to the housing and proved difficult to remove while still attached to the bike. I also removed the seat in order to access the other end of wires. I seperated the connectors, which were a bit corroded, and hosed them down with QD cleaner. I plugged them back together, hoping that I had fixed the problem. No dice. At this point I got frustrated with the electrics and decided to finish my oil change. I changed the filter, got my drain plug back in, and added the prescribed 3.7 quarts of SF grade 10-40. After putting the filler cap back on, I started the bike up. The oil light came on like normal. Then the oil light failed to go out. The manual explicitly states not to let the engine run more than five seconds with the light on. I thumb the kill switch. I try to run it one more time. Light stays on. I thumb the kill switch. Muttered obscenities. I went and checkes the manual, just to make sure it really says five seconds, which it did. went back out and started the engine again, this time giving some throttle and lettig it run about fifteen seconds. Still no dice. More obscenities. At this point I became truly frustrated and decided to go work on my truck.
I had planned a few things for my truck to bring it up to snuff for the winter. Among these was replacing my headlight switch. The man I bought the truck from, the father of one of my friends, had told me that there was a defective headlight switch that would overheat if I ran the high beams. Some experimentation over the last year-and-a-half has shown me that running the high beams will cause my headlights to totally shut down. I had gotten a replacement switch earlier, so I started to tear into the dash to replace it. It wasn't all that difficult to pull out the switch, but once I had it out I found just how hot it had been getting. The plug into the harness had gotten hot to the point of discoloring and deforming. It looked like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/ ... CN1318.jpg
It appeared to have been replaced at least once already, judging by the butt conectors splicing it to the rest of the wiring. I started clipping the wires and swearing.
At this point my day is looking a whole lot worse, and my language is starting to turn the air surrounding me blue. Both vehicles are down, so I hop on my bicycle and pedal the three miles to the Schucks in town in search of a wiring harness. Once again, no dice. The assistant manager there says my best bet is going to be the dealer, or a junkyard. This being a fifteen year old truck, I'm not inclined to go to the dealer, so I hop back on the bicycle and head back home. At this point I should mention that what was a 20 mph downhill into town is an 8 mph slog heading the other way.
Upon arriving back at home, I decided that my best course of action is going to be getting the bike running and making a junkyard run. This is actually where the day started to look up a bit. I grabbed the multimeter and headed for the Honda. After shooting for continuity on various wire and finding no breaks, I decided to put everything back together and give it a try, just for care and giggles. To my surprise, it works. I suppose that I moved things around enough to make a good connection where there had been a spotty one before. With my fingers crossed, I started the engine. It fired right up, and to my relief the oil light extinguished itself in a timely manner. As it was warming up I bolted the seat back on, and got geared up. I threw the bare minimun of tools into my Maxpedition bag, and the added a pair of Vice Grips. I then headed straight for the wrecking yard.
I found a workable connector in the second truck I looked in. The connector I found did have a bit of heat damage, but it was on a different pin. Apparently this is a common problem on Ford pickups. I was unable to find another connector, so I took the somewhat damaged part to the counter, and got out the door for a buck. By the time I got back home the light was fading, so I decided to put off splicing in the part until the morning.
On Tuesday morning, I spliced the new(er) piece into my wiring. So far it has worked, no fires and the lights have not gone out. Hopefully the problem was in the switch, and this is not and indicator that I have a short in the headlight wiring.
One of the reasons I wanted the motorcycle was so when my truck went down, which it does occaisionaly, I would have transportation until the truck was back up. So much for that. I never planned on both going down on consecutive days. Oh well, that just proves Murphy's Law. Roll with the punches.