totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: High_Sides Trips and Pics

#241 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

As always, great photos and great roads! Amazing how beautiful the scenery is around that part of the world. Even though the scenery is beautiful in the mountain shots I still yearn to ride the east of Calgary scenery stuff. Weird I know, but it's just so relaxing to me.

Still riding here, in fact in about 15 mins I'll be on my bike going to the dealership to pickup some 10w60 oil.

P.S. You can always upload your photos to the TMW Photo Gallery and hot link them from there rather than Photobucket as I am not sure how many years Photobucket will keep them live (while the TMW Photo Gallery photo will be up for ever).

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#242 Unread post by High_Side »

totalmotorcycle wrote:

P.S. You can always upload your photos to the TMW Photo Gallery and hot link them from there rather than Photobucket as I am not sure how many years Photobucket will keep them live (while the TMW Photo Gallery photo will be up for ever).

Mike
Thanks Bud - I should look in to that but I started doing this back before that option would work. You'll have to PM me with the how-to piece when you get back form vacation!

Bruce

P.S. - still working on finishing this ride report....

High_Side

#243 Unread post by High_Side »

Cont.....

Meeting new friends along the way...

As the excitement of the Northern Cascades ride began to fade in my mirrors I had a decision to make about coast. At this point I'm less than an hour away, but that means at least 2 hours to get back to where I'm sitting, and I have a lot more that I want to accomplish today. The coast is cool, and I've done it lots before, but today the appeal of fighting the traffic does not out-weigh reversing my steps over this awesome road and working my way much further down the road to places less traveled. With that, the Viffer and I turn around for another run at biking nirvana....

Once I get back as far as Twisp I take a right down #153 in the Methow Valley....

Sometimes it's difficult to look forward to the road less traveled when the main event is quickly disappearing in your mirrors. In this part of the northwest however there are pockets of awesomeness spread out between the sometimes flat and sometimes rolling prairies. Anything with a river valley is usually interesting and often, just when you think you have headed 50 miles away from anything fun you end up seeing something that you never expected.

Another spillway along the way....

Damn - there are allota dams along the way....The view overlooking the Grand Coulee Dam

Once I left the Grand Coulee Damn I made my way down route #174 and took a left up route #21 back to Roosevelt Lake. Out here, it's flat lands only and my hope was that my experience with other pieces of Roosevelt would mean that I am in for something good. As it turns out I wouldn't be disappointed. The road suddenly takes a sharp turn in to a canyon and my ride is about to take a BIG turn for the better :mrgreen:

5 minutes ago I was staring at flat prairie...

If a Honda could smile then this one would be sporting a big dodo eatin' grin :wink:

Business at the Keller Ferry crossing Roosevelt Lake on Route 21 is a little slow. The Operators were basically waiting for someone to arrive. That someone was a Cannuck on a red VFR. Thanks for the lift guys....

The view across Roosevelt Lake from the Keller Ferry

Coming off of the ferry, I had a straight shot north back to the town of Republic down a nice, but narrow two-lane highway. It's the kind of road where you stay off of the throttle, waiting for wildlife to add a sudden surprise to the party. In this case however the "wildlife" was more tame than wild. Just south of town I stumbled upon a cattle / horse drive. After a slight time-out I am on my way........

......but not before a short conversation with one of the locals....

Things were lining up for a nice supper at the pub in Republic before retiring to a motel for the evening....except there were no rooms available. This had been a nice big day of riding but it was about to get bigger. On I go to Colville where I set up for the night and prepared myself for a long ride home tomorrow.

Heading east from Bonners Ferry in the morning after leaving Sandpoint there is a decision to be made: Take the road more traveled and catch Libby and the Libby Dam, or gamble on the Yaak Valley / East Libby Damn road and see what adventure brings :mrgreen:. The past few times I have taken this gamble it has been a several hour detour through rough, single track decaying pavement that beat the hell out of bike and rider. After so many years though they have had to have improved it...... wouldn't they? I'm about to find out....

As it turns out, the single track trail description is still valid, however many of the bike swallowing pot-holes have been repaired or even sections of road repaved. It's the chip and tar kind of pavement, with gravel in random turns for good measure but at least it doesn't torture a good sport-touring bike. Now that the surface is better I can get down to enjoying this anomaly of a road. You can literally ride up here for 2 hours and not see another vehicle. With such low traffic it makes you wonder why it ever got paved at all, but I am thankful that it is, because this is the type of place that you would never see without a couple of day hike or a dual-sport bike. You can never hang it out here and ride hard or you will almost certainly find yourself over one of the guard-rail-free embankments, or in the grill of that one-car-per-two-hours that might happen to be coming around that blind turn on the single track road. What you can do is take in the view when the high mountain road breaks through the trees and enjoy it in total isolation for as long as you like. I must make a point of getting back here much more often....

The Viff sits on one of the more civilized sections of the down hill grade on the way off of the mountain. Pictures do not do justice to the grade!

And finally I hit the end of the line for this drawn-out, three part tour update :kicking: . As I reach the east end of the Yaak Valley / East Libby Damn road, I am only moments away from the place where Jennifer hit the deer just the week before, and the beginning of my long push back towards Calgary. Right at this point however there is a breathtaking viewpoint overlooking the Koocanusa lake bridge that I stop for a final picture.

The end of the day draws closer and I start to feel the steering of the VFR get slightly heavy as the sun is going down south of Longview Alberta. It's the kind of feeling that you get when your bike drops 5 psi in tire pressure, and I made a note but kept on moving at relatively high speeds as the sun was setting and I had almost two hours to go. When I finally reach home, the bike goes quickly in to the garage and is fast forgotten as I catch up with Jennifer and get some much needed sleep. It is only the next morning at the car wash that I discover that my "wonderful" Bridgestone tires have gone completely off in a way that i have never experienced with any motorcycle tire. I get a sick-to-my-stomach feeling when I think about how quickly I have ridden on this tire, and how I would have corrected if I had only realized. A quick check of tire pressure revealed that at over 36psi - everything was in spec. It was only two days earlier that I had taken a close look at this very tire, and noticed that it was beginning to show so significant wear, but I never imagined this:

The guys at the bike shop said that they had never seen a motorcycle tire, let alone a sport-touring front tire worn this badly. I am embarrassed to say that I let it get this bad, however at 6800km total on the new bike at this point I was clearly not expecting it! The lesson here is check your equipment and check it often! And NEVER EVER buy Bridgestone tires for your motorcycle.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#244 Unread post by blues2cruise »

They must be sport specific Bridgestones..maybe???? I had Bridgestones on my Yamaha and got 30,000km on them.

High_Side

#245 Unread post by High_Side »

blues2cruise wrote:They must be sport specific Bridgestones..maybe???? I had Bridgestones on my Yamaha and got 30,000km on them.
Sport-touring. The only person that I ever knew who got 30K out of a tire was Mike! You must have had something special...

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#246 Unread post by dr_bar »

It's her riding style... I get the best gas milage when I'm following blues... :o)

She has fun in the corners, but it's not sport bike fun...

I personally can't stand Brickstones...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#247 Unread post by sapaul »

Wow, that tyre went off quickly.

I was using Metzler M01 and then Mo3 and then Z series tyres on my K1200S. I went through for fronts and ten rears in 23 months and 40 000 km
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

High_Side

#248 Unread post by High_Side »

sapaul wrote:Wow, that tyre went off quickly.

I was using Metzler M01 and then Mo3 and then Z series tyres on my K1200S. I went through for fronts and ten rears in 23 months and 40 000 km
That's about normal for my Pilot Roads on the front but I usually pull more many more km than that on the rear tires. Right now I've got about 5500K on the rear Pilot Rd-2 and it will still be good for a while. It was mostly touring miles with Jen though :mrgreen:

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#249 Unread post by sapaul »

Not usual for a front to scrub off like that,

are you riding the viffer motard style ?
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#250 Unread post by jstark47 »

Late to this thread, but........ were they BT-021's by chance? I've had horrible experience with the front BT-021 cupping on my Trophy 1200, and heard the same from Connie 14 owners. I switched to Pilot Road 3's, love them, will NEVER go back to Bridgestones for sport-touring. Bridgestones for other applications are fine (I run them on my Bonneville), but not for sport-touring.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S