The Daily Grind

aw58
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 1997 kawasaki vn1500 d2 classic

The Daily Grind

#1 Unread post by aw58 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:58 pm

Back on motorcycles after 22 yrs, I'd like to share my daily run to and from work (130 miles round trip). I hope it doesn't become boring - try to post the hightlights, lowlights and lowlifes of the weeks journey.
The past nine weeks of travelling on my Kawasaki VN 1500 D2 Classic have been pure joy despite on most occassions wet weather ,log jammed motorways and blowing exhaust.
With 5700 miles recorded in 9 years I have now reached 10700 miles almost doubling its 9 yr mileage in as many weeks.
Living approx 300 yards from the Bristol Channel I have a constant battle with corrosion, the worst being the highway hawk chrome. I have been using ACF50 and will let you know how it goes after the winter is over - if I have any chrome left.
This week
A short week having fallen down stairs on Sunday put me off work for 2 days - fortuneatly able to do some work from home on dial up.
Wednesday - not a bad journey traffic jams from Coryton to High Cross and the usual motor between lanes at around 25 mph faster than the traffic is travelling-need you wits about you.
Thursday - weather mild and dry - motorway seems deserted and able to reach Bristol in 53 mins (65miles door to door). Outside lane most of the way - glancing in at the pretty young things as I pass - Amazing how many cars are occupied by single females. Wind quite strong (weather that is) but am not suprised when travelling at 80 mph I am passed on the inside by White Van Man in a high sided hire van at 85 -90. Soon no doubt he will wear this van as a hat.
Police out over motorway bridge at Pencoed - defending democracy and the west against those that have no regard for law and 1000 years of Nationhood by flaunting all that we hold dear. Essential that these evildoers are caught and punished severley for their disregard for all things British by speeding on the Queen's highway. Slow down at this stage. Severn Crossing quite brezzy but soon in work.
Home journey - Dark and windy - hate the bridge with its motorcycle traps. 2 foot of glittering steel thrown across the motorway waiting to throw you off when wet if your not vertical. Several of these swines on the 3 mile stretch under the guise of expansion joints. No hold ups good journey except for the Mercedes Chelsea tractor whose lights have been set for low flying Lancasters. For years driving cars I lost sight of mortality as I travelled around in my steel coffin - However on the bike with the tarmac flashing beneath you appreciate every moment of life.
During each journey I see around 4 motorcycles over the 65 mile hike - do motorcyclist hibernate?
Friday - another quite journey in - again around 55 mins holding up not dropping below 70 and generally around 80. Saw around 6 motorcycles this morning - summer must be on the way -passed a drifter - nobody else makes a bike that colour (turquoise).
The journey home very good for a Friday - light rain perks up the senses. Fortuneatly not the stinging cold rain that winter brings - although after a few miles of that rain your face loses all sensation and you take on the appearance of Tim Allen in Christmas with the Cranks - a cheaper alternative to Botox.
If anyone's partner wants botox - take them out in cold driving rain in an open face helmet - and use the money you save on the bike.

Let you know how next week goes.

Adrian

aw58

The Daily Grind

#2 Unread post by aw58 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:33 pm

Events later in the week have caused any thoughts earlier in the week to disappear.
Monday 18/12/06
Weather getting colder. Memorable event having a ginger piece in an Audi pull out in front of me on a roundabout. Visibility to some people is the windscreen only - any event outside this area just doesn't exist. Have to brake heavy. I console myself with the thought of the interview with Jonathon Ross and Nicole Kidman. For those not familiar with this interview reference is made to ginger people (ie Brazilian wax and its' resemblance to a fish finger) amuses me for sometime.
Tuesday - work from home.
Wednesday 20/12/06
Neighbour scraping windscreen - I attempt to brush off water from seat to discover its ice.
Freezing fog the whole journey (speed cameras at Pencoed) - by Llantrisant my fingers are numb (can't feel the levers). Gloves have a coating of ice from knuckles to tips - making it a little scary running between the queues from Llantrisant to Cardiff Gate. By Coryton Saab following trying to push me along - 75 in fog is fast enough and I let him pass - no doubt his heater and electrically heated seat makes him feel its a summer's day. Arrive in work - cheeks numb (face that is) and hands to knuckles, and after about 1/2 hr fingers become pink as life returns. Return journey similar tail - bike twitches on expansion joints on bridge. As I pass the tolls I thank the French for enabling me to fund the bike - No charge for motorcycles so the £4.90 daily charge I would pay in the car pays the finance on the bike. After 20 miles gloves frozen.
Thursday 21/12/06
Cold again - less fog. Less traffic and able to hold a comfortable 85. Hit a patched section of Motorway and the Kawasaki skips around for a while - drop the speed to 70 as I feel the blood pounding around my arms. Bike wallows a little at high cross in the right hander to the downward stretch to the tunnels.
Journey home - get a message M4 closed at Coldra - fatal accident with motorcyclist further on .
Cross the bridge speak to the lady on the toll re the accident - her husband rides bikes. Within 2 miles traffic is stationery and I move between lanes. Most lorry drivers pull over give you more room, but the 3 continental drivers(European) block all three lanes, I move between 2 and find the gap narrower than first thought - with mirrors turned I clatter both leavers against the wheel arches as I pass the stationery trucks. A few miles further on in a similar move between a tanker and and a curtainsider the gap is tight and I feel the tankers back tyre brush my boot (on ground) as he moves forward - my handlebar clouts the cab of the curtainsider as I extract myself from between them. Don't plan on such tight gaps again. After an hour and a quarter I have travelled 22 miles. Arrive home after 2hrs. Find out motorcyclist was 63 from the Bridgend area and was killed after collision with a hgv.
Friday 22/12/06 - working in Cardiff today - colder than yesterday and gloves freeze after 10 miles - more enjoyable day as I travel different roads. Pick up new exhaust seals from JT motorcycles - hope to fit the Vance and Hines over the Christmas break.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas I look forward to the long haul in 2007. Bike has now clocked up over 11k miles.

AZRider
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by AZRider » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:18 pm

Are youre speeds at MPH or KPH? ie. you state your running a "comfortable 85" is that in mph or kph?
Kawi VN1600

I dont give a damn what the name on the bike is..........Just ride it.

AZRider: Never met a bike he didnt like.

aw58

Daily Grind

#4 Unread post by aw58 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:24 pm

in answer to the question

MPH.

Ade

AZRider
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by AZRider » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:01 pm

WOW. I didnt think you guys did over 50 or so, on or in anything,over ther.
Have fun.
Kawi VN1600

aw58

Daily Grind

#6 Unread post by aw58 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:52 am

Short week for riding
Boxing Day took the car out - needed to buy a new tv (difficulty in fitting on bike).
Wednesday - enjoyable and uneventful ride to Cardiff (work). Roads very quiet. Rains on the way home.
Friday back to Bristol - very windy - reach the severn crossing and unable to maintain more than 65 as gales blowing across the carriageway. Return journey - log jam at Almondsbury junction - this motorway interchange is a killing zone and almost has daily accidents as traffic criss crosses from one side of the carriageway to the other depending on which direction and motorway they are heading. As I approach the interchange a motorway sign reads "debris in road" - usually the aftermath of an accident. Move through at almost walking pace. Once Almondsbury clear it's M4 bridge and the long haul home. Need to go shopping tonight, opt to take the bike any excuse to use it. It's Dark Wet and Windy - but it is great to ride out not just for work. After purchasing food and drink I discover Iv'e left the cargo net at home. Saddle bags take 4 lb of potatoes/5 grapefruit and lemons/marzipan/brandy butter/Thai coconut rice/1/2 lb cheddar/1/2 lb of Mozzarella/8 0z butter/chorizo sausage/750 ml olive oil- Extra Virgin of course/bottle of Retsina/bottle of Cava(for new years eve)tin pineapples/1 lb carrots/1lb parsnips. The 4 pints of milk and 6oz of strawberries have to be stuffed in the Jacket.
The beauty of using the bike to go shopping is I have to go more often re luggage space and therefore use it more.
Nb the potatoes and the Thai rice go toward Thai Potato Crab Cakes - If anyone's interested I'll post the recipe,
Next week will be another short week and the start of a new year- oh dear the bridge tolls rise to £5.10 per crossing - bikes exempt..... ho ho ho.
Ade.

AZRider
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by AZRider » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:11 pm

Nb the potatoes and the Thai rice go toward Thai Potato Crab Cakes - If anyone's interested I'll post the recipe,
Im more interested in what your going to do with Chorizo, And how do you even have it over there. We eat it all the time, but my wife is part Mexican, and we do live in the Southwest. Whats your excuse?
Kawi VN1600

aw58

Daily Grind

#8 Unread post by aw58 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:57 pm

A New Year

What awful weather - gales make the journey quite hazardous. Wednesday crossing the bridge back to Wales reduced to 55mph. At 154lbs in weight trying to control 1/3 ton of motorcycle that is being blown to hell and back is no longer fun. Once off the bridge whilst dark wet and windy some normality returns. Thursday whilst windy not so fierce and make Bristol in 55 mins (65 miles door to door)
Tuesday - 9th Jan - Schools are back and the traffic is heavy as well as still windy. At Magor pass Police Transit - what is a police transit doing going from Gwent to Avon ? different forces. Not on reserve at 114 miles but switch over on approach to bridge can't be trying to switch on bridge with wind and expansion joints - would be suicide.
What I have noticed riding home regularly is most commuters have SAT NAV glowing on their dash boards. WHY? Can't they remember the way to work and home? Do they have memories of Goldfish?
Ah I here them say "Sat Nav warns me against traffic jams" WRONG It warns everybody and just creates another jam on an alternative route.
BUY A BIKE and get through the jams.
To AZ - My excuse for Chorizo is Sainsbury's - and I use it in a pasta bake - which once I figure out how to post them in the recipe book on this site.
My other subject is Diesel I'll discuss this next time.
All the best
Ade

AZRider
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by AZRider » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:39 pm

Let me know when you get them posted. Am quite interested. Sainsbury's would be a dish?

Also interested in what you have to say about Diesel. I got to follow one while riding today.
Kawi VN1600

aw58

The Daily Grind

#10 Unread post by aw58 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:03 pm

Wed 10 Jan 07

Worked closer to home today - winds gusting upwards of 70mph. Almost blown off by a gale approaching the seafront, bringing me to a standstill. Winds have always been strong in this part of the world with Sandstorms closing the medieval port of Kenfig in 1316, completely covering the Roman coast road in 1480 and covering the ancient town of Kenfig in the 1600's. Buffeted all the way to Cardiff with a tail wind pushing me along into the city as I enter a speed trap. Brake heavy to reduce speed in the speed trap. Home journey avoid wreckage strewn on motorway(large fibreglass panel off something). Order Clymer manual on way home.
Remainder of week at Bristol - wind still gale force riding quite hazardous.

w/c 15 Jan 07.

Fitted the Vance and Hines straight shots on the week end.

Winds die down and week starts quite well - midweek and it's the Volvo as I am working in Kent for 2 days- just as well the car as Gales lash the Country and I am driving around the remainder of trees as I head for the M25 between West Wickham and Gatwick. The journey home (around 200 miles takes 6 1/2 hrs)
Friday and the it's passing accidents to Bristol and return - Winter tends to bring on at least one pile up a day. The ultimate being a car fire at Pencoed on the way home (opposite carriage way). A tell tale sign of an accident on the opposite carriageway is the outside lane slowing down (whilst the inner lanes do not) with the rubber neckers gawping at the carnage.
Vance and Hines heat shields not as good as Kawasaki as I melt my Joe Rocket waterproofs.
However, I do feel that motorcycles were invented to complement V & H.
Performance improved, I 'd even swear that the gear change is smoother and the bike handles better!
After a week of riding V & H re tighten bolts on exhaust manifold. Wash the bike.

week end pick up the clymer manual as 12000 mile service overdue - carry out myself as warranty now expired.

Monday 22 Jan 07

Cold but dry, cant help notice the chrome looks almost white flecked with blue with highlights of pale gold from the winter sun - with this vision the journey is a joy. The return is equally pleasurable as the chrome in the dark now looks black with orange/ red and white orbs flashing down the metal towards me as I pass other road users, and the sound of the pipes is music - especially in the Newport tunnels.

My comments on Diesel are the headaches I've had passing the long lines of traffic as you breath in its warm gas from the exhausts of lorries, and the amazing properties the liquid has. When filling up at fuel stations (where the anally challenged cannot leave go of the pump trigger before withdrawing the nozzle from their cars) it has the incredible ability to stick to your boots and tyres forever, yet almost magically not grip anything else it comes into contact with. There must be another use for such a versatile liquid.

I will upload a picture of the vn with the vance and hines in the Kawasaki gallery as I can't work out how to insert image from my computer here.

Ade

aw58

The Daily Grind

#11 Unread post by aw58 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:49 pm

1st Feb 07
Sorry for the gaps - some days just slip by without incident.

Travelling in this morning and just before I join the M4 I have a vw close behind - in fact if I were that close to her I'd be charged with buggery.

As I navigate the roundabout, close to the right as I intend exiting on the 3 rd exit, the vw passes me on my left then cuts across me as she too is aiming for the same exit. Pee'd off.
Reduce myself to a base level and hurl anglo saxon at her as I pass on the slip road. Blonde and vacant. The rest of the journey passes without incident - other than begining to see regular accidents either on my side or other side of motorway. Traffic regularly bottle necking around Cardiff as the embankments are being worked on. Give way to street machine behind as he passes through traffic quicker than I Being some what narrower. Brakes not so solid need to check.

Home journey not pleasent as cargo net sprung back when lashing laptop to rack. Damned hook in the eye - hurt for a few days -a little difficult focusing left eye - have to report to health and safety.

2nd Feb. 07
Colder today. Winter is beginning to move in. keep speed down to 70ish as not comfortable with brakes. Good result as at around 70 mph the VN returns a respectable 49 mpg (imperial)

Dont get around to brakes however, wd 40 does frees the foot pedal which was sticking and seems to stop a little better. Have purchased new pads front and rear plan to service on Wednesday. Volvo fails the MOT and will be scrapped in next 7 days- need to buy another one.

5th Feb 07
Getting Colder - Ice on seat- nice run in though. some carnage on opposite carriageway of M4 (drop speed not to attract the busy's re exhaust note) I love the sound of the Vance and Hines. Need to order a new dunlop for the front - internet offer some good deals and local bike shop will fit.

journey home today seems darker than normal. Cross the bridge and the lady in the toll booth opens the barrier when I am about 50 yards out - go through in second. Passed by tourer around Coryton - resit temptation to give chase (only just) just as well as the busy's are parked a few hundred yards on (again contain speed and note). Home by 1845 hrs.

SNOW PROMISED FOR THURSDAY.

Ade

aw58

The Daily Grind

#12 Unread post by aw58 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:09 pm

Posted a new topic instead of reply earlier

Wednesday 7/2/07
Looking for new car - Volvo not going to pass mot- day off.
Volvo on ebay (a few hours left) bid currently at £72 and that buys an lpg car (exempt from congestion charge) and a number plate of E666 HAB - great if your last name is Be elzebub.(ps an ebayer of that name has shown an interest).

Thursday 8/2/07
Snow around the country - worked from home.

Friday 9/2/07

weather looks ok set off.
Bridgend - stinging rain
Llantrisant - sleet
Cardiff beginning to snow - move carefully through the queues.
Newport - snowing heavier - lorries passing - more than half way to Bristol continue the journey.
Magor- refuel.
Cross the bridge - snow less and arrive at work (Patchway)
Pull into carpark - snow on ground no salt.
stop - bugger- VN down.
I am underneath - engine revving. kill engine - boy this baby is heavy on the leg.
Hear my area manager call out " oh no" - he rides a Suzuki.
within a few moments myself, a collegue, a manager and a director are lifting the VN up.
No damage - thats what your engine bars are for says Peter(area manager).
Remove laptop from bike into office. Lisa states she had thought why are you revving the bike. (she's got a Suzuki too).
Leave for home at 2 pm still snowing - 65 miles to go.
Cross the bridge and the motorway is snow and slush - really shxxxy.
The next 50 miles are alongside a guy from Pencoed on a Yamaha FZR 600 (c. 1994) we chat as we proceed at around 5 -10mph on 3 lanes of gridlock. Reach High cross after 2 hrs (Newport) around 30 miles from Bristol. Weather eases and home last 35 miles in around 35 mins.
Brakes making a racket - think they may have been dislodged when downed.
Vance and Hines burnt through my joe rocket waterproofs and beginning to burn the leather bags.
Still - if I survive and still enjoy this - the summer will be bloody marvellous.

Ade

aw58

The Daily Grind

#13 Unread post by aw58 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:32 pm

Volvo will fail it's mot on 11/2/07. As in the UK you get charged for everything I advertise it on Ebay with 5 days prior to it's expiry.
Bidding starts at £30 and sell it for £100 day before it is due off the road.
Monday 12th Feb 07- 2 days later wife locks herself out of the house, whilst I'm in Bristol, and we are charged £113 by a locksmith to drill the lock and replace the barrel - Bummer.
Find a new Car (well 12 yr old Saab 900 vgc) owner of garage selling it runs a Harley - exchange pleasantries on Friday 16/2/07 when I pick it up.

Backtracking Thursday 15/2/07 not feeling too good pains in the chest.

Friday, after going to work by train to collect car from Claypits on the A38, on way home call I into a & e (as advised by wife). Spend until 19/2/07 in hospital. Banter with fellow victims ok.(one comment "I wouldn't feel homesick if they made me do the washing up"(John Collins)).
Injections to thin the blood, beta blockers, aspirin, spray for under the tongue in an emergency and something to reduce cholesterol - with Cholesterol at only 3.88 I argue the toss and refuse to take reducing tablets as you can't have grapefruit - and I do enjoy grapefruit.
Monday 19/2/07 on the treadmill last 7 mins at 3.5 mph on 14 degree incline.( and people pay to join gyms to do this)

Still good news - back home - car's ok - front tyre (dunlop) ordered for the VN has arrived (saved around £18 on local pricing) look forward to riding down to Bridgend on Thursday. Bad news - Chest is still bloody tight.

Well as I said last time - "if I survive - the summer will be bloody marvellous".

Ade

aw58

The Daily Grind

#14 Unread post by aw58 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:17 pm

Sorry about the absence. Still here.

Thursday 22/2/07 Rode down to JT Motorcycles Bridgend to have tyre fitted. First day out on bike since hospital. Have a Dunlop around my shoulder to waist - this is not safe - tyre bloody hard.

Tyre fitted and new brakes (sintered) can stop at last - price for fitting tyre and brakes front and rear £38. not bad.
Well I can still ride.

Back to work and the "daily grind" (not really - love most of it) 26.2/07

Sunny beautiful day - almost want to keep riding.

27 and 28 the Peeing down and windy - hate the bridge crossing home down to 50 mph and struggling to keep the VN upright.
28th arrive at tolls and the girl in the car in front losses a fiver (£5.00) change - manage to roll back and put my foot on the note.
She steps out and hobbles toward me - jeans about two sizes too small.
As she bends down to pick up the £5.00 manage to resist the phrase
"while your down there".
Smiles and returns to the car - being helpful has its rewards with such sights.
Thursday Sunny - take the Saab
Friday back on the VN sunny going out - peeing down coming home - get home and the boots have leaked the leather has leaked - but I am happy.
Chrome on the sissy bar is xxxxed with corrosion - will remove soon and have re chromed - probably sell. Fancy removing pillion seat and fitting rack . That's the future.
Went to the Cinema with my 7yr old to see Ghost Rider - I almost felt 17 again.
Wife took our younger boys to see Charlottes web. Think I got the best deal.
Speak to you soon.
Ade

aw58

The Daily Grind

#15 Unread post by aw58 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:33 pm

Another week slips by, but the weather is improving - sunny days less rain.

Start of the week has 2 accidents on M4 - Tuesday's causing a 20 mile tail back. Weave the way thru. - cheek muscles clenched as ride between traffic. More fellow motorcyclists becoming apparent as the weather improves -who can blame anyone for hibernating in winter. Memorable moment this week was being knocked off in Walmart(ASDA) carpark.

Anus reverses out of space in Mondeo into rear of bike as I am at crown of junction. Manage to lay the VN down gently but break a Highway Hawk indicator cover. Thump boot of car to attract his attention - although he has stopped at this stage. Push him into helping lift the vn up. Witness arrives, she's seen it all, ask for her address for insurance, and am shown her warrant card (South Gloucester Police) - pretty good witness.

Exchange details and back to work - repair indicator cover on week end with araldite and a washer - can't be assed with agro of making claim on the guy - lifes just too short for grudges. Sunday sunny - the weekend cruisers are out on the coast - glittering chrome and no doubt low mileage.

With 10000 miles clocked up in last 5 winter months, the chrome does not quite glitter the same and what will has a waxy sheen of ACF50. Due another service this week as the bike has now cleared 16000 miles in 9.5 years.

speak to you soon

Adrian

aw58

The Daily Grind

#16 Unread post by aw58 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:27 pm

Another week -

Tuesday 13/3/07- Passed this morning by a Suzuki street machine - nose down and arse up - between Llantrisant and Cardiff(M4) . Continue to cruise around 80. Coryton the traffic begins to jam - commence the usual breath in and move between the queue. Around 1/2 mile ahead is the Suzuki in similar mode. Over the next mile I find myself on his tail. Either I know my width better than he does or I do need my sanity checked (or a bit of both). Tail for another 1/4 mile - spot my opening and pass on inside. Over the next 2 miles of moving in and out the queues moving (which are moving around 50) I open the gap up and sufficiently to leave his headlamp as the only visible point in my mirror. A little adrenaline helps occassionaly but don't wish to make a habit of it (not in a rush to meet my maker).
Wednesday 14/3/07- early start - meeting in Birmingham at 9.30 -travel to a collegues house in Cinderford (leave bike and travel by car). Much colder at 0615hrs than 8.15 hrs.
At around 6.40 the sun greets the Kawasaki as I power past mitusbishis' heading into the East. Head up toward Monmouth.
From here it single carriageway up into the Forest of Dean - I thought I saw John Voight and Burt Reynolds -Wild country. Makes a pleasent change to ride on country roads. Once returned from B'ham ride back home from Cinderford - passed by Triumph Thruxton on way back - today it just cruising.
Weather not bad - next week promises to be colder.
Service overdue.

Finally does anyone know how to attach pictures to these posts.

aw58

#17 Unread post by aw58 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:23 pm

19th March

Appointment in Hospital regarding future angiogram. The risks are explained
Possible stroke - and not of the nurse variety
possible heart attack
possible reaction to the dye
and possible puncture to artery.

I am then asked when I would like to have said angiogram - about 30 yrs time is my response.

Finally settle for 12th April.

As I cross the Severn the waters are brown and churning - my own thoughts churn.

21st March

Homeward bound - quite a strange journey - as I cross the bridge above me is a crescent moon and star - ahead is the dying light of the setting sun in the West and behind in the East a black darkness descends - I power on into the West with the sign of the fish affixed to the screen - my thoughts I keep with myself in the knowledge that the sun will once again rise and darkness will be banished.

Light packs in - w/c 26th March have to use the Saab - screw heads rounded on headlamp - bid for Lamp on Ebay.
Wednesday decide to use bike as sunrise and sunset within my travelling time - not one of my best decisions - Fog in Newport - no fun on side light.
Win bid and collect lamp - turns out to be the switch that's screwed - Kawasaki want £100 for switch.
Week of 2nd April, on annual leave
Tuesday take bike in for new back tyre - garage have ordered front tyre
Wednesday - day trip to london on the train -nice day out with wife and boys.
Thursday - have rear tyre fitted - Dunlop not available assured Bridgstone compatible - hope I get the 12000 miles acheived out of Dunlop. Also rewire headlamp so main lights switch on when side light activated - bugger paying £100 for a switch - thanks Clymer.
Friday - Oil and filter change/ plug change and oil cables - start of major service now at 17700 miles (12k in 6 months)
A few local trips to Bridgend and I do love the roundabout at Ewenny - as the camber makes you feel you are on the wall of death and the Kawasaki handles well into and out of the roundabout.
Sunday - get the 2 elder boys (7 and 5) to help in polishing the chrome - costs me 80 p that's 40p each - no doubt Lord Shaftsbury would be turning in his grave.

Soon be back to the daily run to and from Bristol but the weather is certainly getting better - hurrah for global warming.

Ade

aw58

The Daily Grind

#18 Unread post by aw58 » Wed May 09, 2007 5:08 pm

Well, sorry for the delay once again. I’ve been enjoying riding in the sunshine that most other things have been forgotten.
w/e 13th April, sunshine all week.
Most days have been a joy, with the exception were preparation work is going on for the M4 widening (ends 30th). There is a half mile stretch where the lanes are too narrow to take the VN through. Approaching the Bryn Glas Tunnels and (12th I think) and the traffic slows to less than 30 mph. Through the tunnels at a low speed and see the roof of the tunnel lit by the blue and red of a patrol car ahead. Police have pulled in a motor outside the tunnel. As I exit the tunnel at low speed both officers have been watching the mouth of the tunnel – the V & H even at low speed being like a fan-fare of arrival.
Home on the 13th, Motorway begins to slow between Cardiff and Newport opposite carriageway closed – Officers watch my passing (Sunshine makes them more observant when it comes to the low growl of the exhaust. Catch up with a raked Harley around Cardiff Gate in the slow moving traffic and enjoy the next 20 miles sat on his tail between 80 and 90. I am unable to hear my pipes over his and observe his tail light going between on and off with degrees of dimness the whole journey. As we reach Bridgend he leaves M4 and we acknowledge the company for some of our journey.

W/e 20th April,
Another sunny week
Monday
M5 closed at Bristol – Spanish Lorry driver jack knifed his artic, taking out a lamp post in the centre of the motorway, sending it crashing across the opposite carriageway blocking all three lanes. The jack knife splits the fuel tank, resulting in the motorway being closed from the afternoon until 11pm as the motorway is resurfaced to get rid of the diesel spillage. To avoid the agro of the jams leave work at seven and use "A" roads to old Severn crossing. Cross the old bridge which is no longer maintained to a high standard – like a patchwork quilt and so is the M48 to where it joins the M4 after the second Severn crossing- still made a pleasant change. Mileage no different.

Friday 20th.
Need to be home early as going to Cardiff with wife and boys to see BBC Welsh National orchestra, playing music from the arts/TV and films. Cross the bridge only to be passed by a flurry of police cars, a mile after the bridge – three car pile up. Pass without delay. Behind a Rocket 3 as I exit Bryn Glas tunnels and traffic slows to observe carnage on opposite side a mile ahead. Well wouldn’t normally be able pass one of these, but as the VN seems so small in comparison, I am able to weave my way ahead of the Triumph. Traffic heavy all the way past Cardiff Gate – catch up with a Kawasaki road machine intent to plod with the flow. No time for this and pass weaving between both lanes. As the traffic opens up I find myself moving well ahead of everyone- then I realise why as flashing lights of a Police Volvo are closing in from behind. Running late a knot forms in the pit of my stomach and I ease back the fuel and pull into the inside lane. Fortunately the object of their desire is elsewhere. Home in time to get to Cardiff and enjoy the evening (A Dalek helping present the theme to DR. Who. – which we all enjoy.).

W/E 27th April,

Weather not so good at start but gets better can’t remember much of this week at all

Travelling on the winding bit after the tunnels and Magor, I find myself alongside a small ford. I remain alongside the blonde young lady for some time (by chance). However, as she moves to the left to head for Newport or Monmouth, she positively glowers. Obviously unable to hear the in car sound – No chance of a s—g there.

Last Week. Weather sunny, but cold in the mornings'. A few weeks ago purchased a pair of Cowboy Boots from Sheplers.com which have been great on the bike, but if the trousers are thin they ride up and the look of hairy legs above the shaft of the boot is not a good look – tuck them in. The other disadvantage is dead flies on the knees isn’t pleasant either. As memory fails I must make notes every day.

4th May, 07
Again, carnage on the motorway, at High cross, 3 vehicles. The tailback starts at Cardiff Gate, however, I wind the VN through and keep up a reasonable speed and still make Bristol in 1hr and 10 mins.

Tomorrow go to hospital for an Angiogram – not looking forward to it at all.

Let you know how things go and will know how long I am off the bike.

AZRider
Elite
Elite

#19 Unread post by AZRider » Fri May 18, 2007 10:52 pm

Well?? How are ya doin??
Kawi VN1600

aw58

The Daily Grind

#20 Unread post by aw58 » Sun May 20, 2007 4:38 pm

Well, nice to know I am being thought of ( AZ owe you a recipe)

Had the Angigram and have been advised have significant narrowing of the rear artery. Also had significant bruising around the groin where the artery incision was closed by pressure for 10 mins. As the Doc has advised the good news is I am planned in for a angioplas - similar procedure but the expand the artery and insert a mesh tube to keep it opened wider. Up to 6 month wait. Meantime put up with angina, another daily grind.

Took the VN out on Friday 18/5/07, first day for almost a fortnight. Done around 25 miles and tomorrow back to the 130 miles a day. Washed,Polished and Waxed her, and touched up the corrosion gained from the mileage and being out 24/7 - also residing with 300 yds of the sea.

Speak to you soon

Ade

[/img]