The Daily Grind

crazypj
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#91 Unread post by crazypj »

Galen,
sorry to hear about your ticket, I thought it was even worse than you've been describing (I hear horror stories about the Police State that used to be known as Britain)
Its gotten colder here at last, temps down to high 30's but warming up to 60's during daytime.
November to February is a good time to visit Florida, not too hot not too cold
We should have our second spare bedroom back after Christmas, stepdaughter left husband and moved back in with mum :(
PJ
I'm not a complete idiot, but I'm working on it
There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't

aw58
Site Supporter - Platinum
My Motorcycle: 1997 kawasaki vn1500 d2 classic

#92 Unread post by aw58 »

Well, at 25000 miles pa. they buggers were bound to get me at some stage. Sorry to hear about your family problems.

2 days last week were damned cold (Wed/Thur if memory still intact)

Wed. Set off and as I pounded the motorway, I looked at the fields and noted the dew would crunch underfoot. From Coryton on I am on roads that no longer have the sun and my breath is quite visible - more like a steam train than a bike. As I reach High Cross and descend toward the tunnels the temp. drops and entering the tunnels feels like passing the gates of hell which incidentally has frozen over. Exiting I cross the Usk and am in a fog. Mist rises from the Usk like lost spirits and their icy fingers grip the passing motorists to escape their fate. With these unwelcome passengers freezing me to the marrow I rise out of the valley toward the Coldra. As I wind my way through the curves I ride (banking) close to a car on my inside -too close - must focus and not join my passengers. Clearing the brow and descending toward the Coldra my passengers evaporate under the winter sun but their cold grip still haunts me.
Nearing the bridge I see the ribbon of water glinting between me and my destination. However, as I approach the bridge warning signs flash - at first glance OG - but no there is an Eff in Fog. As I rise up onto the bridge it feels like a John Carpenter movie (without Jamie Lee Curtis).
On the bridge I see dark shapes appear from a glowing mist in my mirror and pass fading into a similar mist ahead - skeletal like faces watch me as they pass (well quite fat faces actually - a few too many McDonalds).
As I descend from the bridge the fog melts away but its shape in the mirror is eerie as it obscures the centre of the bridge entirely.
By mid day I warm up and the journey home is equally cold but no fog.
The VN and V&H cut the cold dark air like thunder as I head home.
The following day was almost identical in cold but less foggy and the memory of the previous day brings on a chill colder than the weather. Don't want too many days like this with the souls of the lost distracting my journey.

Catch up on this week later.

Ade
If you can see the tops of the mountain's it's going to rain.
If you can't - it's raining.
All Characters and events here are allegedly fictitious...Any resemblance with either dead or living is purely co-incidental
And don't ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

crazypj
Elite
Elite

#93 Unread post by crazypj »

I think you should star writing novels. 8)
You been into the Steven King again? :D
PJ
I'm not a complete idiot, but I'm working on it
There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't

phil frog
Rookie
Rookie

#94 Unread post by phil frog »

it`s all the dungeon and dragons stuff from the 70`s and 80`s coming back to the surface of you`re subconcious. :laughing:

frog

aw58

#95 Unread post by aw58 »

No

I suspect Newport really is the City of the Dead.

Ade
All Characters and events here are allegedly fictitious...Any resemblance with either dead or living is purely co-incidental

phil frog
Rookie
Rookie

city of the dead

#96 Unread post by phil frog »

hi ade
just to let you know newport is not the city of the dead it`s caerau , i passed through there on the weekend it looked like a prop set for a zombie film.

frog :laughing:

aw58

#97 Unread post by aw58 »

Well the weather has not been quite as cold - Tuesday 20th homeward absolutely peed down. What is it about other road users when you pass that the right leg adopts a mind of its own and involuntary depresses the accelerator. Audi between Llantrisant and Pencoed as I pass the Audi begins to match me - I glance across mouth don't even xxxx think about it and add the extra power to put some space between us.
Wednesday -Micra's - old codger in one joins the motorway glances over his shoulder - looks straight at me and pulls out into the middle lane in an attempt to wipe me. Doesn't see me - A VN almost the size of his car - doesn't hear me - must complain to V&H - but hears my low cost Chinese horn. Puts his hand up sheepishly in apology - power pass pointing to my eyes and mouth to him to use his. (later this week see a similar incident with a fiesta and a Yamaha ahead of me - looks bloody scary from behind as you throw the bike outwards from the arse trying to occupy your space.) Going home and another pass a Micra with a youth driving - thinks its a ?? well anything other than what it is. - He follows in hot pursuit with full beam on. I slow, let him pass and start to climb the hill toward Bridgend - then pass at speed blowing him into the ground.
And so went the way of last week but cold again by Friday.
This week - some cold days - rec'd my official offer of a fixed penalty. Wednesday say goodbye to the rear Bridgestone and replace withD404. Bridgestone eventually gave me 15500 miles. I have forgotten most of this week's journey and I know there was some highs and lows.
This morning was a pleasant run in until Newport - just after the tunnels the signs flash incident ahead - spend the next 2 miles nosing between the queues -smash on slip road to The Coldra. Power on and forget to switch to reserve around the bridge - the vn spits just after at 122 miles after fill up (averaging around 46 mpg). Tonight Kai is 6 - leave for home early and the Heavens open half way home. Wet - Can't see - Can I be seen - but maintain 60+ until Bridgend and reduced to 45 -50.
Bloody stall 3 miles from home at a roundabout - takes over a minute to fire back up - Well glad I got a new rear tyre -don't think the Bridgestone's lack of tread would have held up tonight.
Must change the oil/plugs/filter - overdue. Come Xmas must take off the front fender and de rust- last few months its suffered.

Well speak soon
Ade
ps glad to see AZ back in circulation.

aw58

#98 Unread post by aw58 »

Just a few pics from the last 2 weeks

These 2 passed me recently - the bikes were in matching tones to the helmets and jackets - the Power Rangers do exist!
Can't wait to see the pink one.

Opted for the lazy way

and boy the weather has been cack.

Dentist in the morning

Missing you already.

Ade

aw58

#99 Unread post by aw58 »

All the leaves are brown.

One day last a week a leaf got caught in the vortex between me and the windshield – it floated around for a few seconds before a change in air pressure caused it to vanish under my right arm being left behind on the M4. The sight reminded me of the scene in American Beauty – and no not the one with the rose petals.

And the sky is grey.

This week – it is.
Monday – Dentist. She doesn’t scale and polish this time as I am on Plavix, which slows my blood clotting down – stops me clotting the stents. Instead I have my teeth counted for the princely sum of £12.00. All is well – none are missing since last time and they seem to be in reasonable condition (including no’s 4 both sides with amalgam). On to work wet.
In fact it has been wet all week.
Wednesday – Accident at Magor. A few miles out the traffic slows and I proceed weaving through the gap between the lanes. Bentley attempts to close the gap but push through narrowly missing his fender. 3 cars and a white van under the Magor interchange. Fiesta doesn’t have a single panel unscathed and the windshield is gone – assume to extract the occupants. Clear the cack and over the bridge.

Homeward is wet and windy – this whole week has been a tussle between the Kawasaki – Fire and Steel – and the weather – Wind and Water – A draw is a victory for Fire and Steel as we ride staggering and swaying like a drunken sailor.
I am passed by a road bike and without acknowledgement (Tues and Wed). As I clear Newport the outer lane is closed and as I approach a Peugot 3 series is aiming for the gap I occupy. I turn and look into the Peugot( his fender is a few feet from my saddle bags and closing. The phrase I should have shouted is “you shall not pass” as I was not giving way – the phrase that came out was “ Eff right off”. He does and backs off, slinking behind another car. Reaching Cardiff Gate ( the speed camera spot) the traffic slows to a near standstill. The narrow lanes and lorries inhibit me from progressing ahead of the traffic but after a mile of walking speed I manage to weave another 2 miles and clear the blockage a broken down lorry in the inside lane of the roadworks. Winding through tight gaps in darkness and rain is wearing but tightens the muscles in the arse.
Thursday – peeing down. Arrive in work wet. The journey home is no better. Arse in a Honda cuts me off at junction 17 (M5) . The rest of the journey is slow (wet and wind). The road bike that has ignored me earlier waves in acknowledgement of both our determinations to battle with the elements. Reaching Cardiff Gate the traffic halts – this time I cannot weave through as a lorry is too wide to pass. A BMW 1200 comes alongside with music playing – we chat for a while and he manages the gap – I don’t bother. Another 2 lorries broken down. Clear them and eventually get home at 7.45pm (1 ¾ hrs to cover 65 miles). Soaked.

Friday -Jacket still wet. Hold up a good pace in without much to report. Did have to flash a guy in the outside lane to pull over to let me pass – haven’t done that in a long time. Cross the bridge despite the wind around 90 – fuel down to 42 average.
Home run dry but getting cold again. Still in summer gloves, and don’t my fingernails know it.

Whatever I have forget – I’ ll post later.

Thursday morning

This is why I fight corrosion

Ade

aw58

#100 Unread post by aw58 »

Every single day
Like cold machines (lyrics)

Monday 10th December 2007.

The weather has turned cold.

Within 5 miles my fingernails feel like they are about to fall off – the pain is awful. After 30 miles it begins to ease as they become numb. Traffic bottlenecks at Coryton and the mirrors once again turn in to manoeuvre through the logjam. As I approach the tunnels I have a BMW 3 series on my tail. At the junction after the tunnels acknowledge the police motorcyclist parked observing the traffic. Closing on the Bridge the BMW passes – I tail him at 90. Crossing the bridge I pass as he drops to 80 ish. Keep him behind me until I pull off at Almondsbury – he heads on East. The journey home is equally cold and I note the VN is wallowing at 90 in the bends on high cross.

Tuesday, - no different to Monday – (except no BMW) and a Dairy Crest Lorry tries to cream me by pulling out into outside lane on the approach to the Coldra interchange. As I climb the hill toward Almondsbury a Porsche passes on my outside flips ahead passes a car ahead on the inside and flips back in front heading toward M5. Follow – on to M5 and closing – spots me and away on inside of White van man. I continue at a reasonable rate but not intending to risk life and limb. As I pull off at Cribbs there is the Porsche in traffic approaching lights. As I pass alongside I drop down to 3rd and blip the throttle.
He follows, but in heavy traffic any chase is futile – it’s not just power.

The journey home and the gritters are out. Approaching the Coldra I am showered in salt as I pass, but worse is to come. I have to pass one in the tunnels –salt in front of me, salt to the left of me, (and back off the tunnel wall) salt to the right of me – sounds like the Charge of the Light Brigade.

2 days off – stripping floor boards. Strip the boards and edge/ stain and one coat of varnish in one day – knees really painful. Back in work Friday still cold.
The weekend and tackle the corrosion on the VN made worse by the salt.

Today (17th Dec. )– minus something – seat frosted over

VN fails to start and battery starts to flag- see puffs of vapour from Vance & Hines. Hunt down the charger and extension lead. Before I remove the seat try once more. Bursts into life. Half an hour lost but on we go. Must put the liner back into my jacket. Near Pencoed and am passed on the inside by a Toyota 2 seater soft top. Pass him within a mile. Traffic grinding to a snails pace around 5 miles from Coryton. Weave through (mirrors in) and get through to contra flow. Traffic stops. Next 6 miles spent on the white edge line – nearest central reservation – that’s the line with the bumps every 12 inches- right hand mirror in. Clear the hold up (no sign of wreckage but an ambulance passing earlier may have been sign), had the VN failed to fire who knows – must have an angel watching over me – hope so. Approaching High Cross and B M closing – move through the gaps leaving him behind. Trial bike flags me on and we travel about 2 cars length apart for the next 20 miles. Wave goodbye as I head south (no respite from the cold though).

Homeward and a Merc. Tries to demolish me at Cribbs - call him a copulating native from the planet Uranus – well made me feel better. From the Severn Tolls to Bridgend I have a faired bike behind me - pleasant change for company. High Cross at 80 and no wallow.

14 months and 29000 miles.

Speak Soon.

Lyrics = Alice Cooper

Ade