The path to Rider Coaching...

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

The path to Rider Coaching...

#1 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

I applied last fall to the MD Motorcycle Instructors Program.

In early February I finally got a letter:

"Dear Pamela F,

Congratulations, you have met the minimum qualifications to become a Motorcycle Safety Instructor. We are inviting you to attend an Instructor Preparation (IP) Orientation at the Glen Burnie MVA site, in the cafeteria. Tww orientation sessions will be held on Saturday Feb. 10 and Tuesday, Feb. 13. Attendance at one of the orientation sessions is required for those interested in participating in the IP.

You have been tentatively assigned to the IP that will be conducted at the Glen Burnie MVA training center. Directions and a course schedule are attanched. Due to the amount of material covered during the IP, you must be present and on time for every session. By attending the orientation you are confirming that you are available for every activity on the presnented schedule.

While you have applied to work at Carroll Community College, this center has not yet chosen to sponsor you (???? I'm already on the schedule at Carroll!!). You may be assigned to work at a nearby center instead.

Sincerely
Philip Sause
Coordinator, Motorcycle Safety Program (MD)"

On Saturday, Feb. 9th I attended the orientation. It was mostly administrivia with a whole lot of pitching for folks to work at the MVA sites (as opposed to the independent ones).

I thought it would include more real nuts and bolts of teaching. Like how much time is usually involved in preparing to teach the classroom portions, how long it takes to set up and close down. What weather factors will cause cancellations, etc.

Last year of those who completed the IP training course (there were just 10 who finished the training). There are only 4 who are actually teaching.
A LOT had to do with the total lack of 'what to expect' before folks began the IP class.

My first IP class is scheduled for March 3.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Skier »

Interesting they don't tell people up front what to expect. It wastes everyone's time to do that!

Do your best on your IP class. :thumbsup:
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Lion_Lady

#3 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Unfortunately it appears that it was 'assumed' that folks had at least taken the BRC, if not the ERC or even Riders Edge. Some had NOT taken any formal motorcycle safety class.

There was no orientation at all, just the IP training.

This year another change is that the ERC is part of the IP training and folks are expected to "observe" a class being taught as well.

Things should be better this year.

P

Lion_Lady

#4 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Okay. First day complete!!

8:30 - 11am was some administrivia, then on to the first part of the classroom portion of the BRC. There were about 20 of us in the room so we were broken into 4 groups to handle 4 chapters of the curriculum.

Then a break for lunch and out onto the RANGE!!!! We wheeled 28 bikes out of the trailers (each trailer had several 'broken' motorcycles in front of the running ones). Then we divided into 2 groups and went over the basics of getting the students ready to mount up.

We went over range hand signals, etc. etc. The importance of going thru the motions with students on the bike, with the bike NOT running for each excercise, especially the first 5 or so.

AFter two excercises our trainer started 'throwing us into the river' and making us swim. She picked someone randomly to read the range cards and go over the excercise goal. There was another long time RC who rode the first several demos... we got to see how chaotic things can get when there isn't good communication between the coaching team.

Then I really got tossed in, and I RAN an excercise. 8) From reading the card, to setting up the students and giving the hand signals. and everything. Too cool!

I did okay. It was unnerving because these are all experienced riders and they WHIZZED past me, making it tough to 'coach' anything. Had to remind myself that real live newbies aren't going to be going 20 mph.

My head is so full of information, what I want to do differently and trying to figure out how to set up things. It will take some time to now digest and assimilate all the information in my head.

P

Lion_Lady

#5 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

OMG! I can't believe that it has been a year since I posted in this blog.

After that first day on the range, my life seemed to go into overdrive... I changed jobs, which included working more hours, along with the time dedicated to learning how to be a RiderCoach.

It seemed kinda dicey at times, but made it through and completed the training. I taught my first class in May 2007 as a "Probie" (probationary instructor), and on the recommendation of one of my site managers, was officially certified as a "full" instructor in August. I finished my 'rookie' season at the end of September.

Fast forward... 2008. At the end of March, I taught my first class of the season. It was a bit rough - taught on a range I'm not as familiar with, in addition to working off both the winter fog and getting a handle on still freshly learned skills.

Actually got a chance last week to ride around the range on a range bike, and work on my demo skills without students scrutinizing.

Today, I finished teaching my second class! Still working out a kink or two, but at the end of the weekend, I realized that I feel like I'm really a RiderCoach.

The students continually surprise me. I'm learning that the students who seem to know what they're doing can get really stupid - had one actually loft the front wheel of a Nighthawk, ON PURPOSE today!!

Whooops! He didn't think we'd see. :frusty: If he'd been a know it all dork, he'd have been sent home immediately. But he'd been cooperative and willing, just occasionally testing us. He was pulled aside and told he should be sent home for the stunt... he showed proper remorse (and like I said, he'd been a decent guy, testosterone got the better of him for an instant), so he was allowed to continue. He sure toed the line after that.

All but 2 of 11 passed the riding test and get an "M" for their licenses. The others can come back for a retest. For some folks, the length of the days and the intensity just does them in at evaluation time. A week's break and they often pass with flying colors on the retest.

P

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#6 Unread post by dr_bar »

Are the newbies told to bring snacks, and to keep hydrated? I've seen the ill effects of no nutients and or a lack of hydration in seasoned riders, I can imagine the difference it would make in the newbs...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Lion_Lady

#7 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

dr_bar wrote:Are the newbies told to bring snacks, and to keep hydrated? I've seen the ill effects of no nutients and or a lack of hydration in seasoned riders, I can imagine the difference it would make in the newbs...
We provide water, and stress drinking plenty, as well as snacks. Its usually the mid-lifers who have the system overload issue at eval time.

P

RTR
Legendary
Legendary

#8 Unread post by RTR »

Glad you're enjoying your teaching/coaching. I just started my third year here in Canada as a instructor. When I went to the first information session on becoming a motorcycle training instructor. There must have been about 30 or so people in the auditorium. Only 4 signed up to undergo the training. All four of us made the grade. However, now starting my third year only 2 of my original 4 remain.

I truly enjoy each weekend that I teach. The first lesson of every Saturday morning can be a little nerve racking. Once, it is complete the nerves settle and have plenty of fun with my students.

Continued teaching enjoyment.

Ray
www.redfridays.ca