unlike Phileas Fogg I've never kept a log:So here is my blog

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male

19Oct2008

#61 Unread post by slimcolo »

Yeah I said I would post pics. But after return from Wyoming I seem to have lost my camera. Been looking for it since July so I guess it's time to buy another one. (I don't care about camera but I wish I had memory card)

Anyway here is a update. Got the 61 all assembled. Rode down to eat and returned and packed. I put less than 6 miles on it before leaving on a 1000+ mile trip. 1st problem new speedometer quit at 27 miles (Vech replaced this when I returned) 2nd problem points slipped about 20 miles north of Douglas,Wy. It was pitch black and I slept beside bike in ditch beside bike. When sun came up took about 5 min. to fix, couldn't do anything in dark. (because of this I missed New Riders of the Purple Sage)

Got to Gillette too late for seasoned rider class (I was four minutes late and 6 people were there after me) Was not allowed to participate but was allowed to monitor. The Movie is the best and most Important part anyway. (highly recommended) The awards were next but I did'nt register my bike and guess what a 1937 and a 1955 were only bikes entered in 'oldest bike ridden.' (I could of had 3rd place if I would have known) There was one guy who "rode" all the way from Florida with his wife. (He's 92 and she is 86)

Last part of awards----SMASHING HEADACHE then Nausea---really sick. After being checked by the Medic (they had one on site, member of MOA) it was decides that I had become dehydrated. (I had emptied my hydration pack by 1100 and it was now around 1900 or later I was completely disorientated. About three hours later I was fine.

Later that night I found out that Simone had been kidnapped at the rally! (Simone is a stuffed fish from Idaho who attends BMW rallies)

Still not quite feeling up to par, I got a late start Sunday. Problem 3 The wires fell out of the brushes. (Luckily this bikes ignition runs off mag instead of generator, but this put me going across Wyoming,which has a full time headlight law, with no lights.) I made it to Douglas and was rescued by another member of the MOA who gave me a place to stay until it was light again. (saved my arse) Next day I made it home without incidence, except no lights. (not bad for a 47 year old bike)

Sturgis--Was going to take 61 but points (Bakealite bushing crumbled) were bad and new ones that I ordered didn't show up in time. Enter the Gold Wing. Problem 1 Rear end started leaking bad in Torrington,Wy. I had to switch to 140W gear oil instead of the normal 80w90. Still leaking but liveable.

Sturgis was really dead this year (about 50% less than 2007 which was about 30% less than 2006, but still this year was over 200K) Saw the new Indians (SICK) if you can call them that, but about a block away KIWI with a retro Chief that actually looks like an Indian. (downside of Kiwi is $52K+ price) Prices on tee shirts are usually about 1/3 at end of week compared to start of week---Not this year, they stayed high even after rally was over.

Left Sturgis and went to Faith for Brian's 2nd annual "No Faith in Evos/No Evos in Faith" BBQ Also attended by a couple of Angels who were having bike problems and were broke down in faith, we got em going the next day. The local cop was really glad that I was riding a Gold Wing instead of Harley this year, He has a Wing too. Also saw Sue and Bucky, some of the oldest inhabitants from the Faith area.
http://www.fieldmuseum.org/SUE/
http://www.bhigr.com/store/product.php?productid=398

Left Faith, Brian again riding his 741 and went back to Sturgis for the Threshing Bee. From here I left for home stopping to see some friends along the way. Took Iron Mtn. Road and It is not friendly to ride on a Wing, plus I almost hit a Buffalo. Came back through Nebraska. Roads in SD good. Roads in NE a little worse. CO line and roads got worse. At Springs worse yet. Then Fremont county worse. Then Canon City city limit and roads are even worse Welcome Home time to pump up the air suspension on wing as the roads suck.

Got the 75 BMW running on Labor day and already put on close to 2000 miles. Put on about 5k on wing that I bought in Feb. (600 since Labor day) I have also put on about 500 on the 82 Postie since Labor Day. (we are having unusually warm weather, It's been over 80 the last three days)

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

15MAY2009

#62 Unread post by slimcolo »

Forgot about blog, can't believe it has been 6 months.

Took the 82 Postie to Denver last week, bike done good but was dissappointed in roads. Rampart Range (North of Woodland Park) and Pike NF 211 (Goose Creek Rd.) are improved to the point that one could easily ride a street bike or drive a car. (both roads however have fresh unpacked gravel) Last time I was on both roads they were not much more than "good" jeep trails. (For Rampart Range this has been quite a few years but for 211, last year I still needed 4wd)

Also improved is Platte River Road. (Foxton Rd. <Jefferson county 96 and Co. State Hiway 67> to Deckers)This is almost all paved (real poor quality paving and grooved on county side) Only about 3 miles of gravel. (map still showes about 15) Much of this is real curvy and has a speed limit of 15 (with a bike you can do maybe 25)

Was a bit scary going up US 287 to Tiny Town. (Speed limit of 65 and going uphill with Postie topping at 30) At Tiny Town I was able to get off 287 and take county road.

Trip going to Denver got 84.2 MPG, coming back 86.9 (almost double what any of my bigger bikes get, 3X what Harley w/sidecar gets)

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#63 Unread post by Johnj »

Yo Slim, do you still have the bags that were on the '61? If so what do you want for them?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

08 JUNE 09

#64 Unread post by slimcolo »

Not much to report. Been doing a bit of trail riding on the little Hondas (got both running and licensed) Some ridding on the ole Black BMW.

With tags going up in July I was able to put "classic" tags on both little Hondas, both the 61 and 75 Beemers and the 73 HD as well as old Blue.

With the Pan and 35 I was able to get the new "Vintage Motorcycle" tags. These are the same as Horseless Carriage tags for cars. (must be 50 years old here, if I was in New Mexico only 35 years old) This turned out to be a major production. They do not sell these through the County Clerk so drive to Denver (150 miles) to see the Colorado Dept. of Rev.

All I can remember is the Denver Burb where it is located starts with an "L" and street starts with an "P" So I come up with Prince Street in Littleton. WRONG They tell me to go clear across town (Denver traffic is horrible as usual) to the Depart. of Rev in Lakewood on Peirce Street.

At the Dept of Rev. there is no line for Vintage and Horseless tags, I go straight to teller. She cannot figure out how to issue these tags and calls another who then calls his supervisor who still can not figure it out so calls his supervisor over. Needless to say it took over an hour and four tellers. Finally I have my Vintage tags from Colorado County number 65 (Colorado only has 64 counties, Vintage tags are issued by State not county thus County number 65)

The reason, I am told that it took so long to figure out the Vintage tags is 2009 is first year they are available for motorcycles (been issued for cars since 1959) and I got the first two issued.

Any way here is what they look like (this is the States stock picture and not my actual number, also my tags appear more gray than tan)

Vintage MC D.jpg (58K, 727 x 398)

Well that didn't work cannot figure out how to get image from Yahoo attachment

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

19 June 2009

#65 Unread post by slimcolo »

Still haven't tried JohnJ's advice on posting pic and now on another site I use everyone is talking that Photobucket is down. Will try again next time we have bad weather.

Well not much happening.

BUT I was riding home tonight, on the 73 FLH (side car rig) on 5th near Skyline had to cram on both brakes.

I was cruising home and guess what right in front of me passes a red vixen followed, by about one foot behind, a dog fox. (this is what I think but could have been one male chasing another from his territory as their speed made further classifying impossible) I missed the second one by less than one foot, and they paid me (loud pipes and headlite + two spot lites) no attention at all. These foxes were doing at least 40 MPH, never saw foxes move that fast. (incidentally they were in the cross walk and on sidewalks at about 12:30 AM)

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

21 june 2009

#66 Unread post by slimcolo »

Got that pic of new "Vintage motorcycle" tag but pic is showing them as white and tan and they are actually white and grey.

Got order for Gold wing to day and guess what I am missing one jet in one of the carb kits. tried to contact supplier but seems they are closed on Monday.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

26 JUNE 2009

#67 Unread post by slimcolo »

Up date on Gold Wing carb rebuild, now going on its third week.

Pulled and cleaned carbs (only one will fit in my carb cleaner bucket at a time) also upon dissasembly found missing linkage spring between front and rear carbs on left, one pilot jet o-ring missing, in carb filters (all four) varnished.

Ordered carb kits from E bay Sabercycle (wrong move, but none of my supply companies carry carb kits for this, and I called three close stealerships and none had instock) and spring from Honda stealership. Carb kits arrived Monday and spring Tuesday.

One carb kit missing slow jet. (Chineese Carp)Other 3 have slow jet #35. All four have main jets #108 and #125. For 86 I need #40 slow and # 105 main. This kit is for a 84-85 only not 84-87 as advertised. E-mails going back and forth Friday I finally get a authorization number to return the wrong kits (after almost a week), but get caught in the rain and do not make it to PO (they do not carry a 86-87 kit but they tell me just to "use kit it is OK, same as K&L" Bull Siht K&L makes 2 kits one 84-85 one 86-87, K&L as well as Honda's 86-87 kits comes w/o any jets)

Now I try to order right kit (actually I only need gasket kit and can get away with using old jets, was just to lazy to clean) Seems that my credit card is no good. (I got new card from Great Western Bank last week and called 1-800 number Tuesday that said it is activated) My card will not work, WHY because my bank is Wachovia and not Great Western until Monday the 29th, when Great West takes over Wachovia, so my new and activated card is inop until Monday (of course I destroyed the old Wachovia card that would have worked until Monday)

So now the wing sits in corner for who knows how long as i need workspace for customers bikes. Can't even order parts until my bank will once again work (can not use cash or cheque over internet)

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

09-12 July 2009

#68 Unread post by slimcolo »

Colorado CT tech days and ride Lake City 2009

Day one Thursday I was planning on being at Lake City this morning but arrived at around 1900.
Found what met the decryption of Banjo's place. (Problems no CTs around no people around and door is padlocked, Hell i am not even sure that this is the right place, but the pick up has Kansas not Texas tags)

Next I set about finding anyone else, driving through campground checking every space for any CTs or Durf's truck (He had sent me pics the day before) No luck so I decide to drive around other side of the lake. Directly across the lake I spot Durf's rig where I had started next to Banjo's place, So around the lake I go again. WHAT Durf is no longer there, but as I drive by I hear yelling and see two 90s at a campsite.

The yelling came from Rick and Doug (father and son from Missouri) who said I was at the right place and Durf was coming back too. A few minutes later Banjo seems to appear out of thin air. By now it is getting dark and we sit around the fire and BS for a while then go back to our respective campers and crash.

Day two Friday morning: It is decided to make this day into two separate rides (no one is really into Tech Day everyone wants to ride) We ride to the top of Wagner gulch. I take my 81 CT. Making several stops to look at old relics
and even a complete Ghost Town from the 1800s.
At Wagner gulch the BM says we are at 12360.
From here we (Durf, Rick and myself) try to go up another road that tops well over 13. Like clockwork the altitude kills all three CTs, first Rick's 90 then Durf, I make it another 50 feet. We then head back to camp for lunch.

Afternoon: We head off for the Alpine Loop (Cimarron and Engineer's Passes) Six of us Rick and Doug on their 90s, Me, now on the 82, Durf and his girlfriend on 110s and Banjo on his XR.

Partway up and we are seeing several people running wearing numbers like in a foot race. Well it was a foot race. 100 miles across some of the most inhospitable trails there are, the Hard Rock 100.
http://www.hardrock100.com/
http://www.run100s.com/HR/
Not really much of a fan of running but these guys make Marathons look like strolls in the park. One of the crew manning the runners pit stops says he hasn't seen so many old Honda 90s in years. (I don't tell him three are 110s)

A little ways and Durf's girlfriend drops the front wheel over the side avoiding one of the ever present Jeeps. No serious damage to her or the bike, but they decide to head back to camp (or so Durf says)

We then top Cinnamon drop over the other side and proceed to the long steady climb up Engineer's Pass.
Here once again the runners cross the road before heading off down a hill (at a run) that I could not walk down without stumbling. This also offers one of the best views of the San Juans! On the down side of Engineer's there is one of the last remaining glaciers in Colorado. We then proceed down to Lake City and get gas and the quest for Pepsi starts. Seems that the entire town is sold out of Pepsi till tomorrow. So back to camp we go.

Upon arriving we see that Durf is back but only one bike. Seems that his girlfriend got a ride to Silverton and left bike on the pass. Durf had then followed the rest of us and said he spotted us but never caught up, and must have passed us during the Pepsi quest.

Day three Saturday morning: Durf still hasn't returned. Myself, Rick, Doug and Banjo ride to town for breakfast and Pepsi (grocery store is now open) When we return to camp Durf has returned. It must have been a tiring experience as even his dog is curled up a sleep outside his trailer. Doug says he has had enough of riding the 90 and decides to use his Yamaha 450 instead.

We head off toward Cuba Gulch. Less than 1/2 way up Banjo breaks a clutch cable. He and Doug head back to camp and me and Rick continue. We see about ten waterfalls,
but Rick says "I can't see much scenery because I can't take my eyes away from the road" And come to think of it the only time I can look around is when we stop! Cuba Gulch is a in and out road (meaning you ride in and turn around and ride out on same road) A little ways down on the return trip we meet Doug who says Banjo made it back OK. We then head back to camp for lunch.

afternoon: Me, Banjo, Doug and Rick head back toward Engineer's and start taking side trails.
One trail Banjo says is good but only goes in two miles, after five miles he says this must not be the same trail he was thinking of.
We ride several trails like this many getting up really high with great views. Then we head back to town. Doug heads off to go ride another trail with his Yamaha, and we go back to camp.

After over an hour Rick is starting to get worried and decides to go look for Doug, Banjo decides to go as well. I also decide to tag along, and guess what Durf is up and also rides along. We meet Doug, who is headed back to camp, about eight miles from camp. Rick and Banjo head back to camp but me, Doug and Durf take the long way around the lake.

Day four Sunday: Myself, on the 81 agian, Rick, Doug (back on his 90) Banjo and Durf head back to ride a few trails we spotted rather late yesterday. First we take the Uncompahgre trail as far as it is still open. Then we wind up on one of yesterday's trails then starts the rain and hail. The hail only lasts a few minutes and is quite small but the rain looks ominous, not at all like the sprinkles we have had the last two days. At this point Rick, Doug and Durf go and pack up. Me and Banjo go to the Cafe, then ride back to camp. On the way we pass Doug and Rick on their way back to Missouri as well as Durf on his way back to Northern Colorado. I then load my bike and head home myself.

This was a great ride and would be great to do again next year. Would also like to thank the sponcers who donated prizes for this event. (Pardue Brothers, David Church and Jack and Claudia at Beatrice Cycles)

Also thanks to Durf and Banjo for getting this going. And Banjo for acting the part of guide, without which there would have been a lot more map reading, even if he didn't ride one of his CTs. To Rick who always seemed to have coffee made in the morning.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

18April2010

#69 Unread post by slimcolo »

Started working on the VL last week. (pics to follow)
Cleaned the petcock, new battery, plugs and woalla it runs again.
Went for a small ride (still have really bad tyres on bike and new tyres sitting in shop)
Rear brake was not working right so I pulled apart and brake just had grease, but discovered a bad wheel bearing. (also needs a new race and retainer sleeve that are on back order at only place that repops them) Well I need to put it back together even with bad parts as I need my bike lift for customers bikes.
Decided to modify the tail light so this bike will also have a brake light (was not fitted with stop light from factory) Some Harleys had stop light in 34 but many not until 38, here in Colorado it is not required if made before 41

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rode to the open house at Colo. Spgs museum yesterday. (Me on the Wing and Brian on his Shriner bike) Upon arrival it looked like hundreds of bikes. However all but mine and Brian's and some guy on a Knuckle were new bikes at the Harley Dealer next door. Rained almost all day. When we got ready to return the sun was starting to come out and we decide to return via Cripple Creek BAD IDEA!!

Rain has stopped but roads are still wet and slippy. Just before Woodland Park we hit the fog (the rain is also back) that will be there off and on all the way back to Canon. The fog is so bad in spots we are cruising at a whopping 14 MPH (the slowest I could go without riding the clutch) still a bit too fast for comfort, and did I mention deer and freezing cold? Yahoo maps says 1hr 8min from the Creek to Canon, usually takes me about 45-50 min but this time took over 4 hours, due to the fog.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

Re: unlike Phileas Fogg I've never kept a log:So here is my

#70 Unread post by slimcolo »

Been quite a while, about 3 years. Had wreck on Gold Wing in 2011. Took white Nissan to Strgus in 2012 w/ 35 VL in back.

Happy Bike Day--just picked up a 86 Suzuki Cavalcade 1400. A little rough, 88k, but I got a good deal. Big heavy akward bike at slow speeds great on highway, a lot like the Wing but more top heavy, front end flops at parking lot/driveway speeds. Should be a good tow bike.