unlike Phileas Fogg I've never kept a log:So here is my blog

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male

unlike Phileas Fogg I've never kept a log:So here is my blog

#1 Unread post by slimcolo »

IF MY ENTRY IS LESS THAN 2 HOURS OLD I MAY STILL BE EDITING

I've tried to keep a log before but 3 days into a month trip is as far as I got. So here goes

09Jun07 Saturday
rode the 82 Honda Postie (ct110) thru the Bank (rock formation in S.CO) today. 15 miles there in 20 min. 10 miles thru the Bank took almost 2 hours.15 miles and 20 more min home.

It was one of those sweltering June days here in Southern Colorado, almost 90F late afternoon. So off to the mountains I go. Not quite cool enough to put on jacket, bout 65 here.

On the ride to the Bank I notice that Fremont county has done a lot of repairs to Garden Park road since I was there last month.

Turn on Bank road THIS IS HORRIBLE. The BLM has put down new gravel??(rocks about 3 inches in dia 4inches deep) At the campground gravel seems to stop as I take right fork. After going 2 miles the road is now closed to motor vehichles. I go back via an atv trail (last year this was open to 4wds, next year will probable be open only to foot trafic)and take left fork. No gravel here as roadway runs on solid rock for about 2 miles. Rough as hell.

I then leave the rock and wish I was back on the gravel. Here they just ran over road w/cat now loose rocks,some basketball size, cover road. Road was much better before they "maintained" it. Ride this krap for about 6 miles often having to use lowtow (cts have hi/lo range trannys) Because of low speed due to rocks I have to stop several times to let bike cool. I could make better time on single track but they are now closed to motor vehichles (and this is wasteland not pristine wilderness) But that damned endangered mouse lives here (next time I'll bring decon HAHA)

Back down near Sand Gulch and the roads are graded (this time with grader not cat) Never saw another person entire loop (PEACEFUL)

Get back to main road and head home. See somthing laying in the road, slow down and get the willies. Its a 5 foot rattler. I go clear off road on sholder to get arround him. He don't even coil or rattle at me. I would shoot him but season don't start till next week. Too bad he was a big one nice skin and rattles lotta meat.

Well supper is done and so is today's blog! Tomorrow another bike another ride----------------wait yard work damnit

82 POSTIE

http://img.boschnetwork.com/slimcoloDCP_0013.JPG

http://img.boschnetwork.com/slimcoloDCP_0019.JPG
Last edited by slimcolo on Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

11JUN07

#2 Unread post by slimcolo »

Rode Beemer (the 75)downtown to listen to the band Sat. nite, but Karoke.Didn't ride at all yesterday.

Today I took the same Beemer to Pew town to visit relatives. (Roasted 97F)Uneventful ride only put on about 140mi but getting 44MPG (not bad w/ left choke sticking and needing a tune up)
Last edited by slimcolo on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

15June2007 friday

#3 Unread post by slimcolo »

Well early morning I am reading paper and there it was "1962 Panhead $3000" Well Well I have to go look a t this.(about 50 mi away) I can ride down on the Beemer.NO better take the pick up what if I actually buy it. Well you guessed it, misprint in the paper, not $3000 $8000. Bikle is worth that if you only want a rider. But as an antique it has way too many newer parts. (Fatboy front end handlebars and controls,SU,drag pipes,3"belt drive,12V,Late model blinkers,and gas tank,fenders,dual disc) Sounds good (needs baffles,paint)Still thinking about it.
Last edited by slimcolo on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

16 June 2007

#4 Unread post by slimcolo »

Well the Castle run started at 9am.(do you believe this,last year was 1pm) Its now noon and I am just getting up (still have to pack,breakfast,gas),so I guess I missed poker run along way.

Like usual I'll be-- The one that's late or One of the late ones. In over 30yrs riding I have made runs on time TWICE
Last edited by slimcolo on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

17 june 2007

#5 Unread post by slimcolo »

Castle run: Riding the 75 Beemer Took USFS Road 386. I got there at 5pm Met many bikes heading out. Quite a few only rode the poker run and didn't stay. Fewer people at night than last year. (no rain this year) Forever Wild Band played till 12:30. They sound great w/ outdoor stage a lot better than in bar or clubhouse.

Morning came altogether too early. Sun comes up and tent goes from 40 to 104 (inside) in 5 min. Get all broke down and packed and head out. Over the Bigelo Divide and down Hardsgravel.(I spell it my way) Well halfway down too early to go home so I turn around and head toward Westcliffe. Spend a little time there and head out. Take the Cotopaxi cut off and stop in Cotopaxi. MESS of people here. FIBARK end of the boat race.

So leaving Cotopaxi I head west to Salida. FIBARK in full motion, streets closed off,park packed,carnaval. Man, I thought Denver had bad roads, Salida has the worst roads of any city in Colorado, at least that I've been to this year,potholes the size of Volkswagons. Turn around in Salida and head East---home.
Last edited by slimcolo on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

Pics for readers

#6 Unread post by slimcolo »

These are a few of my bikes Just got advise from ozzy in Harley Fourm on how to post pics.

The Panhead and 35 were some of my fathers bikes that I inherited.

the 35
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/sha ... P_0010.JPG

the Pan and 72 Sporty

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/sha ... P_0008.JPG

my GS
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/sha ... P_0011.JPG

My 75 Beemer Old Reliable (this is what I ride most)
#
http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/sha ... P_0012.JPG

http://img.boschnetwork.com/slimcoloDCP_0019.JPG
Last edited by slimcolo on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

20 June 2007

#7 Unread post by slimcolo »

First order of business, number one priority at almost 100F, is to fix the swamper.
Then I started putting the transmission from Purple 74 Sporty back together. About time, Blew trans in May and removed from the bike, and got new gears two weeks ago. Spent about an hour cleaning up counter shaft first gear. This had a lot of material left from last shift fork. And, wouldn't you know it, only file small enough to fit in slot is fine thread. Works real good on bronze!

After assembly, I shift several times then check fork. It is right at 52 thou. Harley specs are .038"-.058" GREAT Even using used shift forks I'm within tolerance.

Maybe tomorrow I'll find time to put back in the bike. Need new oil lines too. Maybe I'll get wild hare up my arse and just go riding,not if it's closeT 100 again.
I just want to "eat candy coated cashews, and sipp orange lemonade, while that sweet young thing fans the flys from off my eyebrows,I'm dozing in the green Kentucky shade" Well it sounded better when Bobby Bare sung it.

Old Sporty Gears

The smaller pieces are gear teeth.
http://img.boschnetwork.com/slimcoloDCP_0016.JPG

Shift forks shiny part is wear
http://img.boschnetwork.com/slimcoloDCP_0017.JPG

Teeth Missing
http://img.boschnetwork.com/slimcoloDCP_0018.JPG
Last edited by slimcolo on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

21 JUNE 2007

#8 Unread post by slimcolo »

Went to start working on Sporty again last night. 80 F at 2AM. Fought this thing really hard, (bout 5 hours GEEZ) just to get the oil lines changed. It had those plastic braided lines that harden like steel after a few years.(replaced with rubber) To get return and vent lines changed I had to remove battery,battery box,rear exhaust,oil tank and starter. Well I did also install an oil cooler. And right in the middle of this mess we have a major thunderhead.

By the time I get this back togeather (assuming no extra problems) the oil line change will take longer than the transmission that I still haven't got back in yet.

Been riding the Postie all week. Finally unloaded camping gear off of BMW, only because it started raining. Just parked it when I got back last Sunday.

Had to work on swamper again. This time I replaced line instead of just repairing. Yesterday Wal Mart and Alco both out of line and I was to late to go to Ace. Wal mart got more line in today. So I have a cool garage again.

Wonder if the cops caught the hit and run guy. (I'm one of the cheap guys that read paper on line, Canon City Daily Record, so It's a day late) The truck (red Ranger) hit a bike last week and caught on survalance camera at convience store. Couldn't make out but they have showed in paper and Springs and Pueblo TV. Cops here are really after this guy as many of them ride themselves.
Two years we had a 10 year police veteran get hit and paralized on his bike. 3rd time same person had hit a motorcycle in Fremont county in about 15 yrs. (found guilty at trial but disappeared before sentence)

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

22JUNE2007

#9 Unread post by slimcolo »

Guess what The swamper worked all day without blowing a line.

Didn't have much time to work on Sporty. I did however get tranny in and endplay set. Also got everything re installed after fiasco of oil lines. I could have finished it tonight but a pizza and a ride on the Beemer sounded better. Just need to reassemble clutch/primary.

When I started on this bike it was a total wreck. Primary case was only half there. The compensating sprocket was ruined. The tranny had teeth missing from a couple of gears. One shift fork welded in gear. Found rocks the size of golf balls in the primary. Handlebars trashed. Top triple tree was broken. Bottom triple tree was bent. (and the head light still burns on both beams) Oil tank was smashed. Carb well riped from bike (this was found about 125 feet from bike) and air cleaner smashed flat. Float bowl cracked. Mainjet bent at an 90 degree angle. Right shock was bent about 2 inches. Front fender ,gas tank and wheel had to be replaced. Rear fender was repaired and welded. Saddle bags had to be re stitched, by hand, by me. Saddle bag mounts had to be rebuilt and re welded. Also put on blinkers.

This was all from one wreck. 74XLH with less than 10000 miles.
Last edited by slimcolo on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

22June2007

#10 Unread post by slimcolo »

Went for a ride on 75 Beemer /6 last night. Without helmet, (when I left home I was only going to store 1/4 mile) bugs are worse at night.

Well I could have fixed Sporty today,but when I went to the garage the GS snagged the sleeve of my shirt. as if to say RIDE ME M/F er. So the decision was made, as soon as I finish breakfast and pack (I always carry a cooler w/cold drinks and snacks) I'm off.

Why does this bike leak oil (actually GL5 from shaft housing) only when parked in a garage full of Harleys? Some kinda Teutonic spot marking? Hitler's revenge?

I've had it parked for near a month, since I got /6 running this year. (/6 is not the best at any type of riding but is the best all round, You can duel sport on a cafe)It sat for two years before that. (with bum knee this bike is harder to hold up,due to its height (good thing I took off Corbin) dropped it three times this year because not enough strength in knee to hold up on incline, I know keep up on physical therapy and I wouldn't have this problem)

/6 needs a rest though. (and tune up) Any way the GS is a duel sport, and it will be cooler if I head up in altitude, like maybe Cripple Creek,over 10K. (already 83F expecting 101 so Pueblo and Hot Rod National is out of the question)
Last edited by slimcolo on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.