Back in the saddle again.

Bluehawk
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#41 Unread post by Bluehawk »

cms...

I managed to find your site... roundabout.

I got my first ride in 1964 while in the USAF... a white Honda S-50 which I rode into the ground and traded up to a Honda 250 Scrambler, which eventually got stolen off the street in front of my girlfriend's house in Chicago a couple of years later.

In 1986 I bought a used Honda 400, orange, and blew the engine up on a ride about 100 miles south of Seattle, coming from San Francisco up Hwy 1. Never did make it to Kentucky, as was the plan.

When I got back home, I bought a new Honda Magna 500, which I then rode every single day until June 1993... T-boned a van after passing a car on the road from Santa Fe to Taos, near Pilar, NM... woke up 10 days later on life support, the effects of which I will never fully recover from.

The one bike I never rode, but wish I could, is the V-Max.

But, I enjoy your blog here... seeing some of the old bikes I knew well in various ways.
www.anysoldier.com

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#42 Unread post by ceemes »

Bluehawk wrote:cms...

I got my first ride in 1964 while in the USAF... a white Honda S-50 which I rode into the ground and traded up to a Honda 250 Scrambler, which eventually got stolen off the street in front of my girlfriend's house in Chicago a couple of years later.

In 1986 I bought a used Honda 400, orange, and blew the engine up on a ride about 100 miles south of Seattle, coming from San Francisco up Hwy 1. Never did make it to Kentucky, as was the plan.

When I got back home, I bought a new Honda Magna 500, which I then rode every single day until June 1993... T-boned a van after passing a car on the road from Santa Fe to Taos, near Pilar, NM... woke up 10 days later on life support, the effects of which I will never fully recover from.

But, I enjoy your blog here... seeing some of the old bikes I knew well in various ways.
Sir Blue,

A big welcome bro,

It's a nice site, a place where I run to to get away from the political sites.
Always ask why.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

Finally.....I am fully ATGATT certified.....

#43 Unread post by ceemes »

MY RIDING GEAR

Finally at long last, I have all me riding gear gathered up. When I bought Sabre, all I could find to fit me was the helmet. Couple weeks later I scored the jacket and gloves. Throughout the Summer, I rode with just those minimal basic and a pair of black sneakers. Not smart I know, but I was having the devils on time finding boots that were comfortable, fit and were affordable. Finally got those a week before the Vancouver Toy Run last year.

Today, I went to the 2008 Vancouver Motorcycle Show and swore to myself "I am only going there to look, I WILL NOT!!! buy anything or spend any money. That vow lasted maybe an hour after arriving. Found a local manufacturer of leather riding gear and lo and behold, he actually had a pair of leather over pants in my size, that were comfortable and a steal at C$150. So finally I am properly kitted up and ready for the road. First good weekend, I will put all the gear to work when I go and test ride the 2008 Bandit 1250S. If I like it and can cut a good deal, perhaps will be a new bike in my parking spot to keep Sabre company.

I also joined AIM (Association of Injured Motorcyclist). As the name implies, it is a non-profit service club that helps injured bikers. Simple things like getting them a TV while they are laid up in the hospital, assisting with insurance, recommending good biker friendly lawyer who will go to bat for them against ICBC, even going to their homes to take care of the pets. I've heard a lot of good things about this group, so when I saw their booth, I joined and put my name down as a volunteer. I remember when I was laid up in the hospital, having my fellow M/C couriers popping in and seeing what they could do to help really perked me up and got me through some dark times. If there is a like organization in your areas, I recommend you give them a call. Never know when you may need their help.
Always ask why.

Bluehawk
Rookie
Rookie

#44 Unread post by Bluehawk »

ceemes wrote:
Bluehawk wrote:cms...

Sir Blue,

A big welcome bro,

It's a nice site, a place where I run to to get away from the political sites.
Hey! :D

It's nice to have this in common with people... there aren't many of us, really.

So many amazing memories.
www.anysoldier.com

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

I really hate this time of year.

#45 Unread post by ceemes »

Today I got the news, my Grandfather has passed away. He turned 90 two weeks ago and when I called him to congratulate him, I could tell he was done.

He had been active and mobile right up till the New Year and suddenly old age hit him over night. While he did have a pace maker and a touch of lung and prostate cancer, none of these really were affecting him or his quality of life. As his doctor told him, he will have to live till at least 110 before either got him.

But a few weeks ago his legs gave out from him and that did it. He was no longer able to walk to the pub to have a pint, go to the local store to get his baccy or paper. This basically did it, turning him from a grand old man who was still able to turn a garden with a shovel and hoe at 89 to a house bound invalid.

Last week he was taken to the hospital suffering from shortness of breathe and a possible stroke. We all feared the worse but he seemed to be on the mend. His voice had gotten stronger, his mind clearer and all he want was to go home to Granny. They have been together for 72 years and still maintain an independent life in their own home. Last night, he suffered a major heart attack and was gone. I will miss him greatly.

I really do hate this time of year. Five years ago on January, his son, my Uncle Donald passed away from cancer. A year later in February, prostate cancer got my father.

I am now officially the oldest male of both sides of the family and I am not happy about it. Granddad was suppose to see his 100th.

Anyways, I hate this time of year. No wonder why I only wish to hide away till spring.
Always ask why.

Bluehawk
Rookie
Rookie

#46 Unread post by Bluehawk »

Wow... quite a shock, it must have been.

My father went like that, in his mid-60s, a few years back... one day he was his normal self, and within a very short time (after heart surgery), he deteriorated and was suddenly gone. My mother, same thing.

All the miracles of medical science either could not slow it down, or hastened it.
www.anysoldier.com

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#47 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Hey, sorry to hear that ceemes. Death is always terrible because you are so bloody powerless.

How's your granny coping? Silly question, probably. Death in old age is rarely kind to those left behind. After 72 years that will not be easy for her. My heart goes out to the lady.

I'm sure you'll all take good care of her.

I know what you mean about suddenly being the oldest male in the family. It stunned me when it happened. Suddenly there was no human presence between me and the inevitable. It felt very cold and very scary. I suddenly felt very alone.

My best wishes to you mate. You obviously loved your grandad a lot so it will no doubt be a real loss to you. There's nowhere else to go, so nothing you can do but to keep walking the cliff edge slowly and carefully.

Take it easy.

Regards

Richard
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

Gastown Show and Shine 08

#48 Unread post by ceemes »

Wow, its been over six months since I've written in this blog, almost forgot I have it. Been a busy six month, got my bike back from the shop in May and have been riding almost everyday since then. Of course having my stout-hearted and trusty '88 Plymouth Horizon blow its head gasket and finally giving up the ghost sort of helped in that regard. Decided against repairing or replacing and just use the Sabre for all my commuting and daily needs.

Went on the Ride for Dad a few months back in support of Prostate Cancer research. Rode in memory of both my Father and Grandfather. Hit up all the guys at work around the mid 40ish and up range for a donation and most came through, think I raised a little under C$300. Funny how if you put the words Prostate and Cancer together that even the cheapest buggers will wipe out their wallets.

Anyways, today I went to the fourth annual Gastown Motorcycle Show and Shine. Some nice machines were in attendance, mainly Harley's and Custom jobs, but a few older japanese and European marks were there as well. Actually, I had expected more classics and more bikes to be honest. I was sorely disappointed that there wasn't a Vincent in attendance, coz I know there are a couple running about town. Passed one on the freeway a few weeks back, did a double take that time.

Anyways, it's not my words you really want, but pictures right? So here we go.

First, the obligatory shot of the world famous Gastown Steam Clock, can't go to Gastown and not get a picture of that.

One of the first bikes that caught my eye was this Honda CBX six-cylinder. Don't know why but this bike just screams "COP!!!" at me for some reason.

Saw this Arrest Me Red, GPzed (GPz750) ride in and I had to take a picture of it. I once owned its 1100 big brother when I was young and foolish.

Now here's a right blast from the past, the famous or some would say infamous Yamaha RD400. A two-stroke demon that was guaranteed to get you more then your fair share of speeding tickets back in the day.

This Honda 750 Four was not part of the show, but it looked nice so I took a picture of it. Love that saddle.

Here's a couple of Ariel's, first up a 1946 model, the tank mounted instrument cluster is a beautiful sight to behold.

And a 1950 model. Nice, but I like the 46 better. Notice the change in front suspension from the '46?

Now how's this for a rarity? A 1953 Nimbus C. It's 750, SOHC 4 cylinder shaft drive machine. Just take a look at the engine, the value springs are out in the open.

Got to have at least one Norton Commando per show.

Plus a BSA..

But in a sea of Harley's and Customs, this next bike really stood out. A 1947 Indian. Talked with the owner, it was his dads bike since new and he inherited it. So this is a bike with some history behind it.

When I saw this chopped '89 FZR 400, I thought of Mysta and his builds. A lot of work and thought went into to one of a kind ride. The placement of the gages was inspired, and just look at his front turn signals. This bike definitely proves that there is a very fine line between madness and genius....and sometimes that line gets very blurry.

Start them young. The young kid who rides this actually designed it, did the fabrication work and put it together, apart from the welding. At least according to his somewhat proud dad. Kid couldn't of been more then 12.

As most of you know, I am not a big fan of custom choppers. I figure they are bikes mainly for posers with too much money on their hands and have a need to compensate for small willies. However, I must admit I did like this bike. Could be the saucy girl painted on the tank.

Now, this in my humble opinion is what a real chopper is all about, none of this "woo look at me, look at me" attitude b.s.

Not sure what this Rune Rider is thinking. Maybe he really does want to be invisible to cagers, who knows.

For a moment, I though I was back in Manila.

This could be the perfect bike if you have a nagging wife or whatever who insists on going along on your rides with you. Place her/him/it in the the sidecar and slam the lid down tight.....ah blessed peace. :laughing:

Of course no bike show would be complete without babes, babes in bikinis, babes in incredible skimpy, leave very little to the imagination bikinis. These two lovelies were running a raffle for AIDS Vancouver. Didn't have a spare twenty on hand to buy a ticket, but did donate my last five dollar bill to the cause.

I figure I got my money's worth :mrgreen:

Plus proper biker fare was on hand if you got hungry.
Always ask why.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#49 Unread post by ceemes »

It's been three months, and 14 days since my last ride......went to take a look at the Sabre for the first time since the forced absences......sigh, the battery is completely flat and there is a coating of dust covering the bike that will require sand blasting to get rid of.......and I am still looking at at least 4 more weeks of not being allowed to ride by my ortho and physio......and today was great riding weather too :(
Always ask why.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

Ride For Dad (Prostate Cancer Charity Ride in Vancouver)

#50 Unread post by ceemes »

Been awhile since I last posted anything even vaguely interesting or meaningful, partly because I can be so damned lazy and partly because I really haven't had anything to say.

My right arm is still buggered and looks like it will be awhile till I am able to ride again, however I still hope to do three Rides for Dad this year, the Victoria Ride on May 24, the Vancouver Ride on May 31 and the Okanagan Ride on June 6th.

For the Okanagan Run I am planning on riding through the Hope-Princton Highway through Manning Park and then cutting of and taking Green Mountain Road on the last leg. It's a beautiful little road with lots of twists and turns and the odd bear snoozing in the middle of the tarmac. I am hoping my buddies Jeremy and Greg Z will be able to come along. Be kind of cool to video Jeremy on his Daytona and Greg on his Pan-European blitzing the twisties with my on my old trusty Sabre trying to keep up. Good thing is my mom lives in Penticton and will put us up for the night. Pulling rank as the eldest, plus being family, I call dibs on the futon, Greg and Jermy can fight over the sofa. :laughing:

Anyways, there are Rides For Dads being held right across Canada and its a good cause to support, especially if you are a male past 40. The rides generate cash for Prostate research, treatment and awareness within their location, that is to say, money collect in Vancouver, stays in Vancouver. I really recommend all my fellow riders take part in the rides and you can find details about rides in you location by clicking HERE!!!...DO IT, DO IT NOW!!!!!

And for you young bucks, 40 comes awfully quickly, so you should invest in these rides as insurance for the future.

Your friendly if somewhat lazy author,
Ceemes
Always ask why.