The world according to a woman... on a Z750S

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

The world according to a woman... on a Z750S

#1 Unread post by sunshine229 »

My name is Andrea and I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I am married to TotalMotorcycle Mike and I (of course) got into riding thanks to him. :wink:

If you asked me 10 years ago if I would ever step foot on a bike I would have looked at you like you were crazy. When I was a kid I went on the back of my uncle's bike for a ride around the block and I was soooooooo freaked out I decided I would "never do that again". Here I am now, have been riding for 4 1/2 years and I am so glad I tried it!

Mike dragged me (nearly kicking and screaming) to the Calgary Motorcycle Show in January of 2003 and it turned out that I was very interested in looking at bikes. We spent the first few hours looking at all the new models (with Mike telling me about each one individually...LOL) and then spent a few hours talking to the different riding schools in town. At the end of our 8 hour day, I had signed up with Too Cool Motorcycle School and Mike was dragging me out of the show (nearly kicking and screaming again...LOL). He had had enough. I hadn't.

In February we bought me a bike in preparation for me getting my license. It was a 1981 Honda CB400T. She only had 24,000 km's on it and looked pretty good for her age. But the best part was that the price was right - I didn't want to spend very much money in case I hated riding altogether. So we bought the bike and Mike brought her home for me.

Next would come the MSF course, which was in March 2003. Boy was it cold when I took the course!!! I signed up for the evening course so that I could take 4 whole days to get used to riding before having to take the test on the 5th day. I figured this was better than trying to conquer riding in a short weekend. First day I was on a Marauder 250 (new), followed by an Exciter 185 (old), and then a Honda Rebel 250 (new). The first 3 days were all focused on techniques and I found it really hard to get the courage up to do any of them well. I guess you could call me a chicken, but I found that every night I would do something that would freak me out so badly that I would actually stop the bike and cry. (I am such a girl.) But on the 4th night it was time for the road ride and I felt like I was really ready to take it on. The instructors gracefully let me take out my "dream bike" (at the time) - the Ninja ZZR 250. They said I was finally ready for it and I felt that I was too. So I rode that thing like I had been riding for my entire life and I loved every minute of it! After that, I knew I could pass my test with flying colours and I knew I would have a long, happy life of riding.

After keeping my good ol' Honda for 3 riding seasons I decided I would look for something new to sweep me off my feet. The year is now 2007 and I am on the hunt....
Last edited by sunshine229 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrea :sun:

sunshine229

#2 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Date: February, 2007

Saw the 2006 Kawasaki Z750S on the showroom floor at a local dealership. Tried to talk my hubby into buying it for himself (since he was the one in the market for a new bike). I just loved the look and feel of this bike and all I knew is that I wanted it in our garage!

Date: May, 2007

Took a pre-owned Monster 620 for a test ride. Didn't like the riding position - I was too cramped up to enjoy it.

So I went on the Kawasaki demo days and test rode both the Z750 and the Ninja 650R. Absolutely fell in love with the Z750S. Gave it a 10/10 (while the Ninja got a 7). Wanted to buy it right then and there...

I felt that the Z750S was so fun for me. After my four years of riding experience, I felt that this would be a good bike to move up to because it will take me a long time to grow out of it. I tried the Ninja 650R because I figured it would be a more sensible bike...and it was. It seemed so much tamer and easier to ride, but that wasn't quite what I was looking for. I think the Ninja would make a great first bike or second bike for someone who has a year or two of experience. But since I have more than four years of riding behind me, I wanted something a little more naughty... :naughty:

Date: Summer, 2007

Tried to find a used bike to try to save some money. Wasn't home very much so didn't put too much effort into it. We went on a bike trip with another couple in the end of July and decided then that I wanted a new bike for sure. (It was hard to keep up...LOL!) *Almost* bought a used 2005 FZ6 but when I went on the test ride I heard a funny engine noise so I changed my mind at the last minute. Unfortunately, I had already put insurance on the bike and had brought the cash to buy it but no decision is a final decision until the money has changed hands, right?

Date: Monday, July 30th, 2007

Went to a dealership to test ride the 2007 FZ6. Didn't totally love it. Found that that throttle was quite sensitive and it was too easy to go fast on it. That's just not quite my style of riding. It was also VERY hot at the engine - so much so that I would spread my knees from the tank to get a break from the heat (and my test ride was only 20 minutes!).

Date: Thursday, August 2nd, 2007

Went to a dealership to test ride the 2007 Versys. Didn't totally love it. Just as I thought, the bike was not quite my style - too upright and not a fun enough engine (see notes above about the 650R). Immediately went back the dealership where the Z750S is and, with the help of the salesman, decided that it was the bike I need to buy. I was looking at buying either the Z750S or the Ninja 650R, and the salesman said to me: "If you buy the Ninja, will you say you wished you bought the Z?" Hmmmmmmm....he had a point. So I went home to sleep on it one more night.

Date: Friday, August 3rd, 2007

9 am - phoned the insurance company to check on the cost of insurance for the Z750S.
10:30 am - phoned the dealership and placed the order!
10:33 am - could hardly contain my excitement so I ran up and down the hallways at work doing "happy dances"!
4 pm - showed up at the dealership to pick up the bike!!!
6:15 pm - left the parking lot on the first ride for this bike, which so sweetly said 0 km's on the odometer.
:jump:

Last edited by sunshine229 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bost
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

#3 Unread post by Bost »

Pics!!!!! And congrats on the bike!!

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#4 Unread post by scan »

Nice bike. Is it very similar to the larger z1000? I have not seen the z750 yet in-person, but I have been looking at the z1000 at the dealer.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

sunshine229

#5 Unread post by sunshine229 »

scan wrote:Nice bike. Is it very similar to the larger z1000? I have not seen the z750 yet in-person, but I have been looking at the z1000 at the dealer.
Hi Scan,

Yes it is very similar to the Z1000, but there are some differences. The 750 comes in both an S version and a non-S version. The non-S is more like the Z1000. My S version has a one-piece seat and a half-fairing, which was more appealing to me than the non-S or the Z1000. The physical size of the bikes is almost identical. I went with the 750 because it has more than enough power for me, it had the half-fairing, and it was cheaper.

Andrea :)

sunshine229

The WORST 50 km's I've ever ridden...

#6 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Date: Friday, August 3rd, 2007

After leaving the dealership parking lot, I found myself a quaint inner-city neighbourhood with stop signs between each block and no traffic. I was going to break in the bike using the "Monotune" method, which is where you push your engine really hard to seal the rings. Of course you can't take the bike over it's break-in RPM limit so I was taking off from stop signs, shifting quickly into second, and then given'r until 4,000 RPM, followed by hard engine braking to bring me to the next stop sign.

This method of breaking in an engine is not very much fun but apparently it works to increase the life of your engine thanks to sealing the rings properly. Check out this website:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

So anyways, when I headed home I landed at 45 km's. I was aiming for 50 km's so that I could do the first oil change. But 45 was close enough for me! I couldn't take that crappy riding any longer! I hope to never have to do that again......until I buy another new bike one day..... :wink:

sunshine229

#7 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Date: Saturday, August 4th, 2007

After curing an annoying morning headache, I took the Z for a quick spin around the 'hood. When I got back home I had 51 km's on it and it was ready for it's first oil change. I know you are all thinking I'm crazy, but seriously, it's a good idea to get that sludge out since it is holding all kinds of junk from the new engine in it.

Got down on the ground and unscrewed the oil plug and watched all the dirty oil come spewing out. Next task - get that darned filter off the bike! Tried using our plastic filter wrench and ended up busting it...the filter was on sooooooo tight!! So off to the store to get a metal one. One problem - the dealership did not have the perfect size for me so we had to go with a slightly bigger one and hope that it worked.

Using the new metal filter wrench, a cloth and a whole lotta force the darn thing finally came free. Wow, that filter weighed AT LEAST 3 times heavier than the brand new one in the box. (And yes, Bruce, I know it's because there was OIL in it, but there was also lots of metal junk too!) Makes you wonder why anyone would wait longer than 50 km's to do their first oil change...

After finishing up the job and cooking dinner Mike & I headed to High_Side's house to show off the new beauty. Funny thing is that as I was doing the oil change he called our house and left a message saying that he saw the matte blue Z750S's at the dealership and that they are a really good price and I should go buy one. Little did he know that I already had one in my garage...

Pulled up to their house and honked like mad and then gave the engine a quick rev as he was coming out the door. You shoulda seen the smile on his face when he saw me! (That's what good friends are for, eh?)
Last edited by sunshine229 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sunshine229

How to polish matte paint: 101

#8 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Sunday, August 5th, 2007

Mike & I decided to go for an afternoon ride out to the mountains. Problem is that as we approached the west edge of the city we saw the black clouds growing. So we turned around and went for an in-city ride so that we could get home quickly should it start pouring. (Note to self - start bringing rain gear wherever you go so that even if it rains it's no big deal...)

We stopped at Canadian Tire to see about getting some kind of polish for my matte paint job. The sweet young kid that I had asked to help us showed us that Mother's Back-to-Black works on flat paints and not just black. Hmmmmmm.... Interesting. I wonder how that would make the paint look?

When we get home I bite the bullet and decide to try it out. What turned out was actually a great surprise - the paint is still flat but there is a slight sparkly-shine to it! I would describe the paint as looking satin. But now the colour looks so much deeper and has a lot more sparkle. Best part is, now I feel like my paint is at least somewhat protected. I'll keep y'all posted on how the paint holds up as time goes on.

sunshine229

The first highway ride!

#9 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Date: Monday, August 6th, 2007

I keep thinking to myself, "How on earth am I going to get those first 800 km's on when I can't go over 4,000 RPM?" Keep in mind, 4,000 RPM equates to about 90 km's/hr. That's not quite fast enough for typical Albertan highway driving. Here the speed limit is usually 100 or 110 but you know what that means...everyone wants to do 130.

So we have to plan our route carefully. We find some secondary highways and side streets to get us out to Bragg Creek so we can be out in the mountains. All the way to Bragg Creek I am continuing with the "Monotune" method - I slow right down but stay in a high gear, then give'r full throttle until she reaches 4,000 RPM then completely drop off the throttle for full engine breaking. Then I do it again, and again, and again...then there's a car that comes up behind me (bugger) so we pull off to let him pass, then I'm at it again. (Repeat four times...LOL)

Once out in Bragg Creek we sit and wait for High_Side to join us for a visit and a ride. Too bad, he can't stay for a ride but it was still a nice visit!

Then it's back to Mike & me for a trip down Route 66...ahhhh...Route 66. I still practice the "Monotune" thing where possible but all the while enjoying the beautiful mountain air and scenery. And what's that up ahead? Is that a herd of cows on the highway? Too cute!

Then it's time to head back to Calgary. Once back in the city I find myself grumbling at all the traffic. We make our last turn into our 'hood and then up into our garage where the bike will rest for the night. Too bad I have to work tomorrow... :evil:

Guess I'd better go make myself a margarita!
Last edited by sunshine229 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#10 Unread post by High_Side »

sunshine229 wrote: Wow, that filter weighed AT LEAST 3 times heavier than the brand new one in the box.
Psssst. It was full of oil :P Just kidding Sunshade :wink:
sunshine229 wrote: After finishing up the job and cooking dinner Mike & I headed to High_Side's house to show off the new beauty. Funny thing is that as I was doing the oil change he called our house and left a message saying
that he saw the matte blue Z750S's at the dealership and that they are a really good price and I should go buy one. Little did he know that I already had one in my garage....

Pulled up to their house and honked like mad and then gave the engine a quick rev as he was coming out the door. You shoulda seen the smile on his face when he saw me! (That's what good friends are for, eh?)
The surprise was worth all of the aversion and b.s. that you guys fed me over that 24 hour period. And to think I was still out there working to find you that perfect bike...... :thumbsup:
sunshine229 wrote:Guess I'd better go make High_Side a margarita!
I couldn't agree more. What a great friend!

Here's a picture of the old girl last week somewhere in B.C. (and a Honda CB400)...