MrShake's Motorcycle Journey

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

#31 Unread post by MrShake »

I can't either.. thats the problem!! Hopefully the service manual on order will provide a clue. The parts diagrams from yam are no help.

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#32 Unread post by MrShake »

Acording to the service manual, theres nothing there holding that shaft in, so... I dunno.

Use self-same service manual... I did attempt to put the engine back together until disaster struck:

Something wasn't letting the case close completely and the pressure from one of the bolts cracked the case :oops!: Luckily, Ebay came to the rescue with a complete lower crank for a GREAT price. Now we play the waiting game.

I did do some more tank panting, as well as some painting of the plastics. I'm trying out Krylon's Fusion plastic paint on a few pieces, we will see how it holds up to everyday abuse. Pics follow:

More Coats of paint:

And some of the plastics finnished:

Thats it for now, I hope the bottom crankcase comes soon!

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#33 Unread post by MrShake »

Quick Update:

I've put another couple of coats on the tank, I'm shooting for being done with it this weekend. I'm REALLY trying to take my time with this. I'll get some more pics up soon.

Otherwise, since I'm still waiting my replacement bottom crank, I decided to do some work on the Tank Emblems. I had a NOS set in my sights on ebay, but was unable to be at home in time to snipe them and I lost. So, I went out to the garage and grabbed the set I was given. one of them (the right side emblem) was cracked and had a small chunk missing. So I decided to use some bondo spot putty to try to rebuild it, repair it, and then I will repaint. The bondo application is going good. I'm going to lightly sand, coat with more krylon fusion and then re-gold the lettering with gold leaf enamel. I'll probably give them a shot of clear as well to protect them. I hope it goes well!!

Thats it for now... I promise, more pics soon!

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#34 Unread post by MrShake »

One of these days the camera and I will be at the computer at the same time so I can pull off some pics.....

However... there is BIG BIG NEWS!!!

The Bike is Running

Engine went back in on sunday and after some fiddling, she runs. Went for a nice (but short) ride and enjoyed myself for sure!!!

Only negative at this point is that I didn't spend enough time sanding the tank before buffing, so its pretty dull still, need to spend some time with that... and then it got a scratch during the build-up. I'm thinking of giving up on the paint and having it done pro.

thats it for now!

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum

#35 Unread post by Skier »

Congrats on getting it running again!

As for the paint, rubbing compound followed by polishing compound can improve the looks and might allow more shine to pop through.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#36 Unread post by MrShake »

Yea, used rubbing and polishing compounds... I think I skimped too much on the sanding steps and its not quite smooth yet. I just wanted to RIDE!!!

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#37 Unread post by MrShake »

Quick Update with some pics!

http://www.youtube.com/v/LU4f6j8kYLY&hl=en

There she is. You can see the "Good enough" paint job, some refurbed tank badges and you can hear the engine running... I'm excited! I did some tuning on the carbs and replaced the petcock with a universal non-vacum one. The new petcock runs GREAT out of the reserve setting, but is running a little slow out of the "on". gonna have to figure that one out for sure!

On the list still to do:

1. RIDE THE CRAP OUT OF IT
2. Replace fork seals and oil

Thats it.. other than any other break/fix I'm going to leave her alone and ride it until the winter. Hopefully by then I'll have sold her (that will be sad) and be riding my dad's old 76 GL1000.

Thats it for now!

Skier

#38 Unread post by Skier »

Great progress. Get those fork seals done and some miles on her!
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#39 Unread post by MrShake »

I realised, its been quite a while since I've been to TMW... its kinda sad.

Anywho.. LOTS of changes in the Motorcycle World for me!

1. The XS400 is no longer mine. I sold it to another new rider to learn on.

2. The reason I sold it, was so that I could purchase my fathers 76GL1000 that is now in my garage!! I'll have to get pics up soon. Its got its own issues, but it will be ready to go for the spring!!

thats my update for now!! I'm glad to be back!

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#40 Unread post by MrShake »

Time to post a few pictures... they arn't good... I need a nice sunny day and some driveway time to get some good ones!