MrShake's Motorcycle Journey

storysunfolding
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#21 Unread post by storysunfolding »

MrShake wrote:I did put another coat of paint on the tank last night, just haven't uploaded the pics. I'm impressed that a complete newbie can handle this and it doesn't look bad, not great either, but not bad!
How are you going about it? I've read 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats, wesand, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats and wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher with a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#22 Unread post by MrShake »

Well, heres what I've done so far:

Mixed Oil-Based Rustoleum Enamel Gloss Black paint 50/50 with mineral spirits. Its almost thinner than water. From there, using foam rollers and foam brushes, its 1 Coat, Wetsand w/600, 1 Coat, Wetsand w/600. Rinse and Repeat. I'm guessing I'll be at about 7 or 8 coats before I'm happy with it. After the last coat and wetsand, I'll progress to 1000 and then 1500 grit wetsanding, then wax and buff.

the underlayed bondo work isn't perfect and you can still see a few dents and dimples, but its going to look much better than the old paint!

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#23 Unread post by MrShake »

Ok.. its been a couple of days. I've done a TON of work on it today.. heres some pics and some updates!!

Tank after 4 coats:

Tank after 5 coats:

Now, you'll notice some spots that look like weird reelections. They arn't. I had some pretty severe runs in the last coat or two, so I had to sand down quite a bit to clear them. Back to metal in a couple of places. Thats not unexpected though!!

The rest of the tank is REALLY lookin good!!

Now, for the "bike not running issue" that I thought was the starter clutch.

I cracked the case:

That went much easier than I expected. I'm waiting for a replacement service manual (lost my old one) before reassembly since I want to make sure the tranny is setup right, but on to what I discovered.

The Starter clutch is working FINE! IT appears that the shaft that holds the gear that goes between the starter and the starter clutch had worked is way out a bit and the starter gear had slipped off, causing the binding issue.

Now I have to figure out WHY the shaft came out.. its really odd. Oh well. Thats my update for now!

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#24 Unread post by MrShake »

I have GOT to get some more pictures up... but anyway

Last couple of days updates:

More Coats of paint on the tank, up to 8 now

I also picked up some Krylon Fusion gloss black to try on plastic pieces. I hit the ignition switch trim piece with a couple of coats. I'm satisfied with it, so I'll move on to the headlight bucket and gage cluster.

And... since I've got the bike in pieces, I figured its time to fix the stuck floats in the carbs, and replace the float bowl drain screws which were totally stripped. It took almost an hour to extract one of them with spiral fluted extractors, but its out. I've got 18/8 aftermarket allen replacements on order... 21 bucks for 2 screws.. DAMN, but at least I won't have to worry any more about them.

Thats an update for now.. we will see what happens next!

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum

#25 Unread post by Skier »

Any particular reason why you didn't just use standard-issue hardware store screws and some anti-seize for the carb bowl fasteners?
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#26 Unread post by MrShake »

Not the carb bowl fasteners, the drain screw. Can't find those at the hardware store.. hehehe

Skier

#27 Unread post by Skier »

Ah, gotcha.

I haven't tried to match the drain screws on any of my carbs, I usually don't have to pull 'em and if I do they have a hex head. ;)
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#28 Unread post by MrShake »

Yea, the XS400s have a REALLY soft steel philips/slotted combo that is known for getting stuck!

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#29 Unread post by MrShake »

Finally got some pics uploaded...

Some sanding between coats:

And more coats of paint:

And, in case anyone can help with this shaft question for the starter gear... here is the end of the shaft... any thoughts why this came out?
(its the shaft end with the hole in it)

Last night, did a little more sanding, and another coat of paint on the tank. Had another big drip, had to sand down quite a bit, so I've got at least 2 more coats of paint before I'm done.
I also pulled the side stand and cleaned it. I then hit it with some rustoleum flat black spray paint. I also pulled the headlight bucket and hit it with Krylon Fusion Gloss Black Spray. I figure I might as well do some cosmetic stuff while I'm waiting on parts and manuals.

Thats it for now!

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#30 Unread post by fireguzzi »

Is there supposed to be some kind of thrust washer or circlip or something to keep it from sliding out? Can't really tell from that picture what is going on. Maybe a spacer or something is missing somewhere allowing the shaft to slide around. Sorry just cant tell really.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]