Wrider's Scribblings

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#41 Unread post by Wrider »

So it's been about two weeks since I updated, I think it's time!

Anyway, we're working in the measurements and accuacy departments right now, learning how to use things like small hole gauges, snap gauges, micrometers, and vernier calipers. Nothing very hard honestly. And Sev, as for the magnifying glass, the toughest one of those is for those danged vernier calipers! I'm glad I have good eyesight is all I have to say!

I've been working on all kinds of stuff, such as Honda CR150F motors (complete teardown and measurement). Harley Evo motors and 5 speed trannys (top end teardown of the Evos and complete of the trannys. Quite honestly the easiest thing I've worked on so far though is the Suzuki Eiger timing. Did a top-end teardown of it, measured and all, then timed it and put it back together!

Oh, and for those of you wondering, the valve springs in Evos are a heckuva feat for the rockers to push down. Because they have to snap back so fast they require about 180 lbs of force to compress enough to open the valve. That's a lot of pressure!

Anywho, til next time!
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#42 Unread post by Wrider »

So yesterday was the first day back from vacation. And we dove right in again! The instructor did a front fork rebuild demonstration, fairly simple once you see how they're actually put together! So me, being the scholar I am, promptly screwed it up and installed it wrong. (Mental note: install washer BEFORE seal) While I was fighting with it, trying to take it off, I managed to hurt my finger, think I possibly broke it???
A couple of guys said they thought I broke it, but I'm writing this the day after and it's not all swollen and pretty colors, so probably just knocked it pretty good. Ah well, c'est la vie, right? So yeah, today we get to work with steering heads and swingarms. Shouldn't be too bad!
Wrider
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#43 Unread post by Wrider »

Well I've been horrible about updating this, but honestly, school is school! Right now we're in clinic 3 of 7. We have been through precision measuring, been through brakes, suspension, tires, wheels, and are now in machine shop. We're learning to bore cylinders, do valve jobs, whatnot. Not actually all that hard if you have the tools. Either way, I find it fun!
Let's see, oh, my finger definitely was broken, but not badly, so I left it alone and now it only hurts when someone shakes my hand with a good grip. Went to Cabela's today, that was fun! and I now own a Vernier caliper with a dial gauge on it, w00t!
Feel free to ask any questions, and if I don't know the answer, I'll find someone who does!
Wrider

AZRider
Elite
Elite

#44 Unread post by AZRider »

What do they think about running car tires on motorcycles?
Kawi VN1600

I dont give a damn what the name on the bike is..........Just ride it.

AZRider: Never met a bike he didnt like.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#45 Unread post by Wrider »

Couldn't tell ya. I've seen it done before, but wouldn't do it myself. Basically because if you lean your contact patch would go over the tread of the car tire. It would be on the sidewall. I dunno, I guess it's up to you, but I'll ask on Monday.
Wrider

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#46 Unread post by Wrider »

I just got myself a new mo'orsickle!
It's a 1988 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane.
It's a literbike, but it ran (new) 100 HP and that was groundbreaking! :laughing:
Basically right now it doesn't have half of it's plastics, it doesn't run, it's been sitting for a year, and it needs a bit of work done to it... But you can't argue with a motor that'll turn over and operable brakes and wheels for 100 bucks!
Ah well, it'll be a good learning project, or if i get tired of it, parts bike!

UPDATE:
Looks like Wrider bought a parts bike.
Alright, brief overview...
Yellowish ants living somewhere in it. *UPDATE: They turned out to be fire ants living and breeding in the foam air filter*
Broken airbox
Missing all plastics/exterior pieces rear of the pegs
Internally rusted gas tank
Forks shot
Shock shot
Ignition missing (new ignition wired in)
No fork lock
Seat needs to be recovered
Aftermarket (crappy looking) brakelight, turn signals (front/rear) installed
Left front brake doesn't work, but right one does, as does rear
Tires dry rotted

Other than that though it's a perfectly capable machine!
Ah well, who wants to buy pieces of a historic motorcycle!!! :laughing:
Wrider
Last edited by Wrider on Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#47 Unread post by ceemes »

Wrider wrote:I just got myself a new mo'orsickle!
It's a 1988 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane.
It's a literbike, but it ran (new) 100 HP and that was groundbreaking! :laughing:

Ah well, who wants to buy pieces of a historic motorcycle!!! :laughing:
Wrider
Bloody hell, I remember when they first came out, they were the "Oh my god, will you look at that, state of the art, gotta get one" machine. Seems just like yesterday, but it's been twenty plus years now????? Where the hell does the time go?????
Always ask why.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#48 Unread post by Wrider »

ceemes wrote:Bloody hell, I remember when they first came out, they were the "Oh my god, will you look at that, state of the art, gotta get one" machine. Seems just like yesterday, but it's been twenty plus years now????? Where the hell does the time go?????
Put it this way senor! I was born two years before that motorcycle was manufactured! And to top it off, my sister, who is legal to do everything but drink, rent a car, and become president was born after it was! :laughing:
Wrider

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#49 Unread post by Wrider »

Wow, what a day on the bike...
I started to look through it today, and Lord Almighty someone actually rode that thing in that condition???
Airbox was connected to the carbs with lengths of radiator hoses.
Every rubber/plastic thing in there was connected with silicone.
Bolts stripped out all over.
Spray paint on every surface it shouldn't be on (motor, exhaust pipes, radiator, oil cooler, horn, frame, rearsets, rubber pieces, etc etc etc.)
Basically here's the things salvageable.
-Motor
-Tranny
-Radiator (Paint just on the side)
-Carbs
-Wheels
-Frame (Paint thinner)

So yeah, I think I can make a decent return when I part it out, because this one isn't worth rebuilding...

Anyone want parts? Anyone??? :laughing:
Wrider

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#50 Unread post by Wrider »

Wow... I really gotta work on keeping this up!!! Let's see... since then I've sold the Hurricane for a 50% profit. I've since also gone through the latest class which involved taking apart, rebuilding, and putting back together a running, shifting Honda CRF150F motor. Life's good! My theory instructor that I respected so much has since left as of last night. I'll miss him, but I have his email! Other than that life's about the same. Getting my license back the 18th of this month, so yeah!
Wrider