Wrider's Scribblings

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#61 Unread post by Wrider » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:30 pm

Eh it's kinda nice having a record of what I thought and what was going on!

Oh, and to tour like beemerchef would be amazing!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#62 Unread post by ceemes » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:50 pm

Wrider wrote:Oh, and to tour like beemerchef would be amazing!
Wouldn't it just? If I ever hit the lotto, first thing I'd do is kit out a Triumph ST and then bugger off around the world with just the bike, camcorder, laptop and enough clothes for a week.......
Always ask why.

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#63 Unread post by fireguzzi » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Hey man, keep on writing. I'll read it. I gotta live vicariously through others until I get a motorcycle again. yeah I know you ain't got one either but at least you get to ride other peoples sometimes. :frusty:
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#64 Unread post by Wrider » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:02 pm

So I had an interview today! Yay! Guy says he'll be making his decision within a week which is great news! I am pretty sure the interview went well, plus it doesn't help I'm one of two applicants, one of which he's never met... :laughing:
If I get it I'll be moving down to Trinidad, CO. If that rings a bell for any of you, I'm slightly concerned about your past. Mainly because it's the sex-change capital of the world. :lol:
Ah well, just gotta be careful who I pick up in a bar :laughing:
Well wish me luck!
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#65 Unread post by Wrider » Sun May 31, 2009 11:47 am

Well guys and gals, good news and bad news.
First the bad news. Thursday of last week I was backing a quad out of the warehouse and the knobby tire caught a fender on an 03 Volusia of all bikes. The tire grabbed it and before I could stop broke the fender. They ended up canning me because of the combination of that and the shop was fairly slow.
Now for the good news..
That was on Thursday at about 9:45. By 10:30 I had an interview set up at another shop for the next day. Friday I make the 5 hour trip to Gunnison and interviewed. It went really well and on Saturday they hired me.
So I have a new job, my lease is month-to-month so no exorbitant fees for breaking it. I'm moving out of a town I don't like to one I have liked since I was little. And I'm actually wrenching now instead of running parts!

This also means I'll be closer to the AMA Women's Conference, and it's one beautiful and fun ride from the conference to my new shop!

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#66 Unread post by MZ33 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Excellent new, Wrider!! One of the parts guys at a local dealership here is a mechanic--he got stuck there during a slow-down when the choice was parts counter or layoff (geee, lemme think . . . uh . . . ). Unfortunately for him, they so like having a mechanic in Parts that they won't let him go back to the shop. Poor guy. But he is great in the parts dept. He misses the solitude of wrenching, though--too many cranky customers.

Congrats, and enjoy! See you in August, hopefully!
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#67 Unread post by Wrider » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:02 pm

Well so far I'm surviving my first week of wrenching. So far I've done a few oil changes, tire change, made a TTR run that didn't before, installed a PITA winch on a Grizzly, and am currently working on an old Honda XR350 with no spark and no battery... :frusty: It's gonna end up costing the guy more than it's worth.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#68 Unread post by Wrider » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:29 pm

Well today I found out I'm no longer a mechanic at the shop, I'm an everything guy. Funny, I was honest when I told them I didn't have any shop experience and yet they wanted to treat me like I had two years of experience. Oh well. Regular pay now so I can afford to live is always nice.
I'm still able to work on my own stuff, I'm still working for the shop, and I'm still employed, so it works for me. Now hopefully it lasts through the winter!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#69 Unread post by Wrider » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:33 pm

Sunday September 13th I went down for the first time. I've got a broken 5th metacarpal and a super stretched inner medial ligament. I can walk, but not well. My right hand hurts bad, but I'm ok overall. Getting the bike tomorrow to check it out and see what it'll take to fix it.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#70 Unread post by RhadamYgg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:49 pm

Oh no! I hope this doesn't affect you at the job. I've heard stories about jobs getting rid of people because of health issues, but with no documentation of someone stating "I'm going to fire this guy because he's got a health issue." there appears to be little grounds for a lawsuit.

Besides a lawsuit never gets you what you need the most - and that is to stay working.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#71 Unread post by fireguzzi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:01 am

Sucks wrider. Hope ya heal up quickly and fix your buddies bike before he notices. :laughing:
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#72 Unread post by Wrider » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:36 pm

Lol too late for that... He was following me in my car... Picked up the bike today, it's good for parts and thats about it.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#73 Unread post by Wrider » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:14 am

I'm only going to write this once because of the situation I'm in. I went in to get my ACL replaced and my MCL reattached. The doctor said it should take about 2.5 hours. When I finally woke up and wasn't asking things to be repeated constantly I was told he spent 2.5 hours doing half of the surgery.

When he got into my knee it was way worse than he thought. I tore the knee's meniscus to the point that he had to put my MCL back and completely stitch my meniscus back together.

Because of how bad my knee is messed up he could only do that before he stitched me back up. Now I have to wait two weeks before I can start physical therapy, then two hard weeks of physical therapy before I go in to get my ACL replaced. Then another couple weeks of therapy and I can start to get bck to normal.

I also woke up with my right hand mostly numb from an injection of demerol in my shoulder. It's still numb tonight. And supposedly will be awake in a few days. Plus my cast is too tight so I will have to modify it later on.

I also got extremely nauseous afterwards. I couldn't keep anything down on the trip home.

I now have two weeks of spongebaths to look forward to because I cant put weight on my right leg and I'm not allowed to unwrap my leg for two weeks.

I'm not looking forward to the next month and a half.

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#74 Unread post by BuzZz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:57 am

Well that sucks.

Having to wait for some parts to heal.....
is almost like waiting for parts to come in before you can finish the job.... :?

Dam service departments, eh? Never get it done when or how they say it will be done.

:laughing:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#75 Unread post by coffee_brake » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:56 pm

Dangit man, just read the whole thing....

You are likely feeling a little better now?

Wishing you well quickly....

:getwellsoon:
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#76 Unread post by Wrider » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:38 pm

Doing ok right about now...
Surgery was 2 weeks ago yesterday. Tomorrow I get my temp cast off and get to see my knee for the first time since the surgery. Then I start rehab again and then another surgery to fix my ACL in about two more weeks.

On the downside apparently I'm losing my job because they'll have to call someone else in because it'll be busy.

Sooo seriously I'm willing to move anywhere, if people will keep an eye out for me for openings and let me know it'd be greatly appreciated.

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#77 Unread post by coffee_brake » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:20 pm

So it looks like, if you're gung-ho about the rehab, you'll likely be up and running close to normally by Spring time, which will make you available for hire during the very most busy time of year for motorcycle dealerships and independent shops.

Keep us updated...I don't envy you Winter up there....
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#78 Unread post by Wrider » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:09 am

Well I had ACL surgery yesterday. I'm up and walking today, even went for a short drive! Knee hurts a little, but the quad is what really hurts. They stretched my knee to about 130 or 140 degrees, and it hasn't been past 112 degrees for almost 2 months.
I got a spinal anesthetic (they do hurt but not too bad) and got to watch the whole thing through the point of view of the arthroscope the surgeon used.
I could feel pressure in specific areas, I could tell where they were touching and such, but I couldn't feel any pain. Weirdest feeling ever, but really cool. Glad they finished when they did though, by the end of the surgery I was able to do quad sets in my left leg (my right leg is the messed up one.) Within two hours I was up and walking without too much of a problem. But the 5 hour ride home from Rifle was hell... The spinal wore off completely and the morphine they gave me didn't do much. Plus at one point I had to use the restroom at a rest stop and had two flights of 7 or 8 steps each.
But last night was the worst of it, and now I'm back up and at 'em.
Now I get 2-3 physical therapy appointments a week for 2-3 months. that oughta be fun. Know the difference between a therapist and a terrorist? You can negotiate with the terrorist! :laughing:
But I'm looking forward to getting better and getting back to work. I can't stand sitting around and doing nothing all day every day, even if it is great for my social life. :roll:
Anyway that's my update for now, I'll keep updating later on!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#79 Unread post by Wrider » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:38 am

Well it's been a while since my ACL surgery. I'm walking around, doing ok, but still limping quite a bit.
I officially lost my job last week, so I'm moving down to Colorado Springs again but am trying to sublet my apartment in Gunnison.
Right now I am looking for another job nationally. So if anyone at all knows a job opening in the motorcycle industry, I'd greatly appreciate the lead!
Oh and I have a cool big ole scar along my knee... :laughing:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Re: Wrider's Scribblings

#80 Unread post by Wrider » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:58 pm

Well it's been 6 months, one week, and one day since my accident.
Today I got on a bike for the first time since the wreck! Took a friend's HD XL883 out for a spin. Had no problems except that I stalled it once.
It felt SO good to be back on a bike again.
My doc said I wouldn't be able to operate normally again for anywhere from 9 months to a year after my surgery, which was 2.5 months after my accident, and I've shocked everyone involved with how fast I've recovered, as I'm back to where the only limitations are squatting and crawling on my knees on hard surfaces.
Oh, and also discovered today that the 883's backrest supports interfere with saddlebag supports and saddlebags on that model... Hmmm.