sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#501 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Just a short one here.

I'm in a steady, even-tempered mood, feeling moderately happy, getting on with ordinary, everyday things, just waiting to...

...blow my stack...

On the way home yesterday, the Daytona suddenly developed a hollow rumbling sound. I've heard that sound before. It was the sound it made last year when one of the piston rings cracked.

I got it home and with quiet deliberation I checked the oil level. It was right down. This morning, before going to work, I put nearly two-thirds of a litre of oil in her.

Since I got her back from the dealer after the accident, I've ridden her for no more than four hundred miles.

Everything feels very fragile at the moment. I'm just going round, doing the ordinary things, chatting happily to people, eating sleeping, riding, feeling as though I were walking peacefully along the cliff top looking out to sea and...

...waiting to blow my f***ing stack!
Last edited by sv-wolf on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#502 Unread post by fireguzzi »

"Narzis and Goldmund"
I may pick that one up next time I go to the library or a book store.

I noticed it also goes by Narcissus and Goldmund, must be more of that weird English you guys speak. :wink:

I loved Siddartha, my mom told me to read it when I was a teen. Cool mom eh? I started steppenwolf after I read Siddartha but never finished it. Don't remember why as it was over ten years ago, but I guess it didn't quite grab me like the other did.

Anyway, sorry for busting ya out on your writing style. :mrgreen:
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#503 Unread post by fireguzzi »

sv-wolf wrote:Just a short one here.

I'm in a steady, even-tempered mood, feeling moderately happy, getting on with ordinary, everyday things, just waiting to...

...blow my stack...

On the way home yesterday, the Daytona suddenly developed a hollow rumbling sound. I've heard that sound before. It was the sound it made last year when one of the piston rings cracked.

I got it home and with quiet deliberation I checked the oil level. It was right down. This morning, before going to work, I put nearly two-thirds of a litre of oil in her.

Since I got her back from the dealer after the accident, I've ridden no more than four hundred miles on her.

I'm just going round, doing the ordinary things, chatting happily to people, feeling as though I were walking peacefully along the cliff top looking out to sea and...

...waiting to blow my f***ing stack!

Did the dealer forget to put oil back in you think?

MAKE EM PAY!
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#504 Unread post by jstark47 »

sv-wolf wrote:On the way home yesterday, the Daytona suddenly developed a hollow rumbling sound. I've heard that sound before. It was the sound it made last year when one of the piston rings cracked.
So, last year they replaced the cracked ring - but left the other 2 cylinders be? How many miles on that bike total?
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#505 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I think we all need to take a trip to England. :mrgreen:

sv-wolf

#506 Unread post by sv-wolf »

fireguzzi wrote:
"Narzis and Goldmund"
I noticed it also goes by Narcissus and Goldmund, must be more of that weird English you guys speak. :wink:
You really are an ungrateful sod, fg. We taught you how to speak and this is how you treat us!

Narziss is a direct reference to the original German title of the book ("Narziß und Goldmund"). It's not English at all. "Narziss" is the German name for the character in Greek myth that we (and you) call "Narcissus." There now, that's sorted that one out . We can all go home now and be happy.

The moral of this is that unlike some other nations we have respect for other people's culture (even if it is German). We wouldn't dream of insisting on calling poor old Heinrich, 'Henry' - would we? ('Henry' may be a much more civilised and sensible name, but that is beside the point.)

:mrgreen:

:jollyroger:

BTW. Whatever you call it, it's a great book. Enjoy.
Last edited by sv-wolf on Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

sv-wolf

#507 Unread post by sv-wolf »

jstark47 wrote:
sv-wolf wrote:On the way home yesterday, the Daytona suddenly developed a hollow rumbling sound. I've heard that sound before. It was the sound it made last year when one of the piston rings cracked.
So, last year they replaced the cracked ring - but left the other 2 cylinders be? How many miles on that bike total?
That's what I intend to find out this afternoon. I had assumed they had replaced all, but I need to check. 4,800 miles on the bike altogether. Nggrrhh!

[Edit] Yep, they say they changed the rings on all three pistons. They've got no spare capacity at the moment so they've asked me to monitor oil consumption for the next 500 miles and get back to them. Sounds fair enough to me but I'm going up to Manchester next weekend (400 miles round trip) and don't want to start blowing black smoke all over the motorway on the way up there.
blues2cruise wrote:I think we all need to take a trip to England. :mrgreen:
Sounds like a great idea, blues. When're you coming????? What do you all like to eat?

:D :D :D :D
Hud

Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#508 Unread post by jstark47 »

sv-wolf wrote:
jstark47 wrote:
That's what I intend to find out this afternoon. I had assumed they had replaced all, but I need to check. 4,800 miles on the bike altogether. Nggrrhh!

[Edit] Yep, they say they changed the rings on all three pistons. They've got no spare capacity at the moment so they've asked me to monitor oil consumption for the next 500 miles and get back to them. Sounds fair enough to me but I'm going up to Manchester next weekend (400 miles round trip) and don't want to start blowing black smoke all over the motorway on the way up there.
Running it with a cracked ring doesn't have potential to damage something else? Like maybe the cylinder wall or the side of the piston? Personally, I'd take the SV to Manchester.
sv-wolf wrote:
Sounds like a great idea, blues. When're you coming????? What do you all like to eat?
We like biscuits. Our kind. With red-eye gravy!! :mrgreen: :laughing:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

sv-wolf

#509 Unread post by sv-wolf »

jstark47 wrote:[ Running it with a cracked ring doesn't have potential to damage something else? Like maybe the cylinder wall or the side of the piston? Personally, I'd take the SV to Manchester.
Too damned right it does - if it is a piston ring. I'm guessing here. Funny thing is I must have run the bike for months with a cracked ring before I could find a dealer who would take it seriously. I love this bike but I'm not getting a hell of a lot of pleasure out of it. It's a bit scary too because for the next four or five months I'm not going to be able to meet any further financial demands. I've just sent the last of my EnduroHimalaya money off today. I feel a bit light in the head. And my account feels light in the bank.

For a ring to go on a new bike is rare. For it to go twice within six months or so tells me that there is some kind of underlying problem. If the dealer can't find that, I'm stuffed. It's got me worried because the bike comes out of warranty later this year and in Triumph are well known for trying to wriggle out of even very reasonable claims.

And yes, if I go up north, I'll take the SV. The electrics still aren't sorted but they haven't played up for a couple of months now.
jstark47 wrote:
sv-wolf wrote:
We like biscuits. Our kind. With red-eye gravy!! :mrgreen: :laughing:
'Fraid you'll have to bring your own, in that case, Mr S. I'm not an ungracious host but I'm having difficulty even conceiving what that might mean. :shock: For some reason it makes me want to go, "Arrrr Jim, lad. Pieces of eight. Pieces of eight." :lol:
Hud

Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

noodlenoggin
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 1995 Ford Thunderbird =-(

#510 Unread post by noodlenoggin »

Wow, sorry to hear about the problems with the 'Tona. Is there a chance you can take it back to the dealer as a lemon and just exchange the whole bike...maybe for, say a TR3 drophead coupe? :shock:

Seriously...affix teeth to jugular, pit-bull style, and don't let go until they make the bike right.
1979 XS650F -- "Hi, My name's Nick, and I'm a Motorcyclist. I've been dry for four years." (Everybody: "Hi, Nick.")