The Hammer vs. The Anvil - Kibagari's moto-blog

Kibagari
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by Kibagari »

If you were to ask me how I've enjoyed my first season (or half season) of riding, I'd tell you that I haven't been able to due to a bad alternator (truth) and a potential albeit small clutch problem (also truth). What I wouldn't tell you is that I've been a bit of a wimp. Haven't touched the bike since August, haven't even gotten the URGE to ride. I almost feel guilty about this, as I know it's a case of me being apprehensive about riding.

I guess my financial situation hasn't helped. Since about March, I've been out of work. We were supposed to be getting some jobs, but they have all fallen through. All six. Kaput. Through this, I've been sitting around the house doing basically nothing. It's been driving me bonkers. The ironic part is that my escape from this has been right outside in my garage and I haven't used it.

Needless to say, I feel horrible. I wanted to ride, I wanted a bike, and suddenly can't bring myself to ride it even though I enjoy it when I do saddle up. I guess partially it is my lack of confidence in my abilities, even though my abilities can only be worked on when I'm on the bike on the road.

I've been driving for years now. Traffic and roads don't bother me, yet I'm still intimidated by getting on that bike. So I guess this is my SOS as it's October and there's not much time left to the season:

Help me get on my bike!
"Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot."
D. H. Lawrence (1885 - 1930)
-------------------------------
1976 Honda CB360T

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#12 Unread post by blues2cruise »

What happened that makes you have fear now? Did you fall? Have a near miss?

What happened to being hooked and riding for the rest of your life?

After all you and your parents went through to get the bike and gear and your previous excitement.....

Well....you need to go on a toy run or something. That will bring back your spirit and desire to ride.
I know because shortly after I started riding I was being given such a hard time everywhere I went....I was ready to give up...just like you are now....
I decided to make my decision after the toy run......going to that meet and seeing all those riders come together for a common cause.....even the 1%er types......and riding with all those thousands of riders to deliver all the toys for the Christmas bureau made my heart soar, my throat close up and tears well in my eyes.....It brought back my spirit and have continued to love riding ever since.

See if you can find a toy run or a fund raising ride in your area. :)

Kibagari
Elite
Elite

#13 Unread post by Kibagari »

Just poking my head in to let all of you know that I am still alive. Also, there's a lot of snow on the ground (or there was). Past couple months have been interesting, and there's a lot I'd rather not get into.

However, I have been able to come to terms with myself during the off season. Come spring I will get that bike set up, make sure everything's in line, hop on, and ride off. I've realized that my reason for being scared of riding has to do with myself loving my body the way it is: not demolished. I'm scared I won't have the time to react, or I'll get blindsided.

Gotta say, I don't remember being excited about driving at first, either. I was a very, VERY cautious driver at first, and a lot of times I wouldn't want to drive because I was a little afraid. So I'm going to have to do with myself what I did with four-wheeled machines: force myself. I'm going to force myself to suit up, start that bike up (despite her alternator issues. Kick starts for the win!), and go; overdeveloped sense of self-preservation be damned (Oh, and of course I'm going to be careful)!

You'll hear about my riding adventures when spring rolls around. Maybe I'll finally get my best friend to put money aside for the rider course/a bike. He's been saying he wants one, but he hasn't gone through the motions yet. Then again, he's a lazy arse, so you gotta give him a push from time to time.

Take it easy, everyone.
"Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot."
1976 Honda CB360T

Kibagari
Elite
Elite

#14 Unread post by Kibagari »

Spring's close, and I'm actually rather excited for a change. What with the economy in a recession and life sucking overall, getting out on the bike will do me a world of good. Just watching the show melt is pushing me over the edge to go de-winterize the bike, get her alternator fixed (not entirely necessary, but would be nice), all set up and go. I was not meant for a sedentary lifestyle, and winter's only made that worse.

Also, in regards to the title of this thing: The misspelling was intentional. It was meant to read "Moto-blag". Just a slight nitpick.
1976 Honda CB360T