Riding around the Heart of Europe

motorbike.ventures
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Riding around the Heart of Europe

#1 Unread post by motorbike.ventures »

Trips around the Czech Republic and beyond....
Personal Bikes:
Suzuki DR 350
Suzuki Bandit 400

MV Bikes:
Honda Deauville
Honda Transalp
Honda CB 500

motorbike.ventures
Veteran
Veteran

#2 Unread post by motorbike.ventures »

A lovely ride to the mountain city of Liberec.

The sun is finally out and we are enjoying riding around when we can. The other day we went up to Liberec to visit a friend of mine who used to live in Prague. We were running late and were in a hurry to get there, so we took the freeway up - NOT fun! But at least I realized that I will need a windshield for our trip to Scandinavia, we are planning on taking the freeway during the "boring" parts to get to the more interesting ones :)

Arriving in Liberec I was reminded what a nice town it is! For those who have time I definitely recommend stopping by. It is a very clean town with gorgeous houses, and the area is very hilly.

After our short visit we headed back towards Prague -- this time avoiding the freeway!

We took the 592 down to Osečná, and got some excellent pictures of Ještěd in the background, the famous tower on the mountain near Liberec.

This is also a great places to visit when in the area, the twisty turns up this mount are lots of fun!

We headed to Český Dub taking the 277 to Mnichovo Hradistě.

The weather was wonderful, the roads clean and practically empty (it was a Sunday afternoon), there was nothing else more we could ask for.

I definitely recommend this route to others looking to get out of Prague for awhile or those who just want to enjoy a nice ride.

Personal Bikes:
Suzuki DR 350
Suzuki Bandit 400

MV Bikes:
Honda Deauville
Honda Transalp
Honda CB 500

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

Looks just like upstate Pennsylvania! :D
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

motorbike.ventures
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by motorbike.ventures »

hehehe, sorry to hear you are not impressed... I will try to get more "european" pics in next time :laughing:
Personal Bikes:
Suzuki DR 350
Suzuki Bandit 400

MV Bikes:
Honda Deauville
Honda Transalp
Honda CB 500

motorbike.ventures
Veteran
Veteran

The Road to Albania - Day 1

#5 Unread post by motorbike.ventures »

Day 1 - Croatia

We leave Prague early in the morning, fresh and ready to go! After a 22 hours train ride we arrive in Croatia and sunrise with a beautiful view of Split.

We immediately hop on our motorcycles and head to Dubrovnik, Croatia, about a 160 km ride. The scenery is just gorgeous as we head down the coastal road with the sparkling blue sea on our left. The weather is perfect for riding and we have a long way ahead of us!

But we are not ones for all work and no play :) We decide to take a ride up a mountain top to check out the view. We pay a small fee to enter this protected national park and even going through the small forest at the foot of the mountain it is worth it. But once we break the forest, the mountain view <em>is</em> to die for.

There were so many off road paths breaking from the main road. Being on my DR350, I was <em>very</em> tempted to try them out. However, being in a protected part, I had to show my respect. After an hour and a half of nice twisties and scenery we make it to the top! And we are awestruck...

We were at the peak, at 1762m above sea level...

and we could still see the ocean!

After our little detour, we made our way back to the highway and continued on our journey towards Dubrovnik. We stopped on the side of the highway where there were fruit stands and a great view.

We brought out our little cooker, took off our boots, and enjoyed the scenery.

Afterwards we continued on our way. We passed through a small strip of land that is Bosnia. Their ocean was terrible, since they were land locked and only had this small patch in the middle of Croatia, they had all these boxes in the ocean, I supposed for catching sea food.

At this time there was a fire blazing, causing a major back up in traffic. We are getting tired, our butts are starting to hurt, and at about 10 km away from Dubrovnik we decide to stop for the night at a small camp not to far from the beach. As it is almost dark, we wait until morning to check out the beach...
Personal Bikes:
Suzuki DR 350
Suzuki Bandit 400

MV Bikes:
Honda Deauville
Honda Transalp
Honda CB 500

aw58
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
My Motorcycle: 1997 kawasaki vn1500 d2 classic

#6 Unread post by aw58 »

You've reminded me how beautiful Europe is (not bad from a Brit). Went to Prague in 98 - loved it.

Ade
If you can see the tops of the mountain's it's going to rain.
If you can't - it's raining.
All Characters and events here are allegedly fictitious...Any resemblance with either dead or living is purely co-incidental
And don't ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

motorbike.ventures
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by motorbike.ventures »

hehe, thanks! We went on a 14 day trip, about 11 days riding, so more posts will be coming in the upcoming weeks!
Personal Bikes:
Suzuki DR 350
Suzuki Bandit 400

MV Bikes:
Honda Deauville
Honda Transalp
Honda CB 500

motorbike.ventures
Veteran
Veteran

Road to Albania - Day 2

#8 Unread post by motorbike.ventures »

Day 2 - Part 1 - Dubrovnik, Croatia

We wake up early in the morning before the rest of the camp stirs so we have time to walk down to the beach. We head out and when we get there we have the whole beach to ourselves! The water was clear, and I could stand with it up to my waste and watch the little fish swim by. However, it was as clear as it was salty! I get out and no sooner then I start to dry off does my skin start to itch due to the salt!

We all head back to the camp, take showers, and pack up to head out to the town of Dobrovolnik, only about 10 km away. Now, this was my first time in Croatia, and as Radek is the "planner", I did not know anything about Dubrovnik before heading there. However, on the very first view of this city I was impressed.

A true seaside town, well built and full of life. Of course, Radek immediately wanted a picture of one of the boats leaving the bay.

Little did I realize that this was a taste of what Dubrovnik's old town had to offer.

We head to the busy down town and park somewhere on the sidewalk (following what the locals do, motorcycles and scooters can go where they wish and park on sidewalks if they wish :)

We buy breakfast and some reserves, and start off... not able to get very far, as someone seemed to have left their gas tank on reserve... so when it ran out of gas, the tank was completely empty!

So after pushing my way a few meters to the gas station, we are once more off! Radek leads us towards the old center. Now, living in Prague, I expect to be impressed, but never did I expect to be amazed!

We park our bikes, take off some of our gear (as it is hot!), and head town to the old center. As soon as I catch a glimps I want to start taking pictures!

The fort protects the old town as it has for centuries, and looks like it hasn't changed a day since it was still built! The houses in the old town all look in great shape, and I just love the red roof-tops, making the fort wall stand out even more.

We reach the entrance of the fort, which would not be complete with a bridge and the Croatian flag flying proudly above it.

Close up the old town was just as amazing. Wonderful cathedrals...

Small alley ways...

I could have spent all day or weekend exploring this town, but alas, we have must continue our adventure! Even while leaving we see more of this fortress.

Sadly we leave, with thoughts that I must return to Dubrovnik with more than a few hours on my hand, so I can seriously explore every alley way and side streets in this town that seems to take you back in time.

We head out, and try to get off of the scenic freeway (that is full of cars) as soon as possible. We are excited and hope to reach Montenegro. My heart starts racing when we can no longer see the ocean and we start heading up the mountains, passing small towns in between. We follow the GPS, listening to its sound advice where to go. It tells us the border to Bosnia is not far, and we continue on a well paved road that seems oddly abandoned. Soon we start to see cow carcasses and huge boulders in the middle of the roadway.

Then the pavement stops, replaced with loose gravel that causes two of us to madly swerve. I think to myself, "How can there be a boarder crossing here?", but we are already an hour down the road, so we continue.

Some times it is best to listen to your instinct. I suppose this is one of those times, as we reach the boarder to discover this:

The boarder is blocked, with warnings that it is illegal to pass, reminders of the war faught not to long ago. Radek goes around to check the other side, and see if it is possible to get the motorcycles across some how... but the real question remains... should we?

To be continued...
Personal Bikes:
Suzuki DR 350
Suzuki Bandit 400

MV Bikes:
Honda Deauville
Honda Transalp
Honda CB 500

motorbike.ventures
Veteran
Veteran

Road to Erzbergrodeo

#9 Unread post by motorbike.ventures »

We started off eager to check out this years Erzbergrodeo but had a long road ahead of us. I decided to opt for our Honda Transalp for this trip while my riding friend took his African Twin.
We headed to Southern Bohemia, making our way near to Cesky Krumlov. On the road we were luck to see some amazing Czech castles.

We also ran into the Hluboka Castle in Hluboka nad Vltavou. We wish we could have gone inside but we were short on time. I only got a picture from far away,
but definitely a place worth stopping at next time.

We then stopped to have lunch in a random small town with a special tree.

A quick stop in Cesky Krumlov to get some Euros. Another city that deserves its own tour.

As we make our way to the boarder thinking about where to sleep for the night we pass through Rozmberk nad Vltavou, which has another cool castle.

We stop for some coffee as it starts to rain a bit and get a tip on a cool camping ground. Some off road riding is required to get there as the camping ground is mainly for boats. I only have street tires on
the Transalp but we decide to give it a go. On the way there we get another nice picture of the Rozmberk Castle.

We make our way off road to this camping site. But unfortunately the road is way too muddy and with my street tires the Transalp will not make it. So we head back to find another place.

After some riding around the Vyssi Brod area we head decide to camp not far from the camp ground we were looking for. No official camp ground, we just find a field and park it. The view was worth it.

We set up camp and are starting to relax after riding all day long. We plan to get up early in the morning to make it to Erzberg as soon as possible. We hear a sound off in the distance, it looks like a truck is coming!

Turns out we are on private property. The guy sees that we have set up our tents and have started to drink some beer, so he lets us stay, as long as we clean up. Very nice!

I am exhausted and head to bed early, the alarm set for 6pm.

Morning comes. I don't want to get up, but I do. The fog is amazing...

And lifts within minutes!

We slowly head out. I'm ready first so head out earlier... I don't get very far... a few feet from the road and my street tires slip.

No damage until I turn the bike and crack the mirror :( Oh well, lesson learned, get off road tires when riding off road!

We start out and book it to Erzberg to get there as soon as possible. As we get off the freeway and head to the twisty roads we see more and more bikers, letting us know we are heading in the right direction.

Finally we make it! Takes us awhile to find the right way to the race, but soon we are there.

The mountains around the race are just amazing.

And the track is huge!

We catch some guys practicing their hill runs...

You Tube video

People were waiting in line to go on the track... people and a bunny.[/url]

The rest of the pictures I think need no comments, so they are for you to enjoy!

Some video of the track

Some of the motorcycles that were visiting...

Nice KTMs...

BMWs...

People getting around...[/url]

More riding fun...[/url]

Erzberg was pretty amazing. But soon it was time to head back home. The ride itself was pretty mind blowing.

Unfortunately you can't see it, but the river was an amazing green color! The road was nice and twisty and the sun was shinning. What more can one ask for?

We make our way back to the Czech Republic and find a little pub with a little party and a little field where we can camp.

Mingling with the people and eating some of their roasted pig we have a wonderful night. The weather is so great that we decide not to set up camp but sleep direcly under the stars.

In the morning we are woken up by some farm animal noises... little did we know!

We slowly make our way home using as many back roads as possible. Surprisingly we run into an interesting little... fortress? castle? rocks made into a square shape? Who knows, but it is neat.

It is a hot day so we decide to find a place to swim, as the Cesky Budejovice region has many small lakes and ponds. Our first stop looked like it had potential, but with no shore it was not psosible.

With so many lakes we soon found the perfect spot for a dip.

[url=http://motorbikeventures.com/images/blo ... g09063.JPG]Image

[url=http://motorbikeventures.com/images/blo ... g09064.JPG]Image

[url=http://motorbikeventures.com/images/blo ... g09065.JPG]Image

It was a perfect end to a perfect trip!
Personal Bikes:
Suzuki DR 350
Suzuki Bandit 400

MV Bikes:
Honda Deauville
Honda Transalp
Honda CB 500

Joey Hellfish
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1999 XL600V Transalp.

Re: Riding around the Heart of Europe

#10 Unread post by Joey Hellfish »

Dobry Den!
I moved to Prague recently and bought a Transalp. Cant wait to get some riding done when the weather allows it... Im planning a ride through the stelvio pass between italy and swizerland, starting from Prague, in the summer. Let me know if youre doing any short tours around Czech I might be able to join, theres much I havent seen in this country!
Cheers.
JP
JOE:
Previous: 1989 Honda VTR250 (sold it :( )
Now: 1999 Honda XL600V Transalp!