NorthernPetes Bike Adventure

NorthernPete
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#81 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Ive been toying with the idea of getting a brand new shiney bike...with warrentee...and no rust.....and parts that dont fall off.....and starts easily.... and runs smoothly....

had a sit on this today....

Yamaha Vstar Custom 650

Its a bit odd with the whole legs forward bit, but apperently next week end they are having some sort of test ride thing, so I may go have a looksee how it feels....

Tried sitting on the Classic model, but I didnt like the floor boards or the heel toe shifter.....
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#82 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Nice bikes. Definitely do some test riding. I say spend a bit more and get the Suzuki S50. If you dont' mind a trip to Pennsylvania, I know a dealer that has two red ones in stock.... :laughing:

NorthernPete

#83 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Well, I talked it over with the boss (re: wife) and she has pretty much told me that "you really want a new bike dont you? well, all right"

w00t.

So shopping time! Im going to have a look around, but it would appear I am a bit of a Yama-phile, So most likely Im going to be going with a Vstar 650 either the Custom or the Classic (if I can get those floor boards and heel toe shifter off and a new seat) Its kinda funny how most people would be leaning towards the sporty bikes, and here I am a 26 year old male going for a cruiser, whoda thunk it (I like couches better then torture racks I guess) I will have a swing over to the local Honda/Kawasaki dealer, but I was there the other day and didnt really like the looks of the Magnas, although the Vulcan did seems nice, I would have to see if they could get a 650 in stock to have a sit on (I really dont want to go much bigger then that, we dont have any free ways up this way, and its pretty much only 2 lane traffic with a 90 km/hr speed limit, so I'll be able to do fine on the roads with that size a bike)

Unfortunately, there arent any other manufacturer dealers around (theres a Suzuki dealer here, but they dont carry motorcycles for some reason, so I have no way of having a sit down or even see one in person) and I dont feel like buying something I never even get to see.

Now what prompted this from me, Mr. Cheap "O Ring" fix up the POS you own?
I was working on my Maxim yesterday and when trying to remove the carb boots from the engine had almost EVERY SINGLE hex bolt snap off inside the bock! now, I had this problem with the exhaust on my Seca, and with the problems I had trying to get the things drilled out (ended up with a maguyver sorta bolt on exhaust pipe, ill post a pic some time) I just had enough..I want shiney!!! Ill sell the running and not running oldies, and then use the cash on the new hotness.

Oh, and I have to buy the wife a new matress for the spare bedroom in order to get my new bike, compromise eh? (and no, its not cause me or her will be sleeping there :lol: )
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#84 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Awesome Pete! Good Luck shopping.

NorthernPete

#85 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Welllll, not sure if Im going to get a new bike or not now... My 400 is running really well lately, and I have been thinking that if I wait til next year, I'll have my full M class liscence, and the insurance will be better (ie cheaper *L) and I'll have a bit more money put aside for a down payment...

But ya never know...depends how things is.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

NorthernPete

#86 Unread post by NorthernPete »

what is it about old bikes that I like so much? I gotta stop doing this....

will most likely be picking up a 86 YX 600 Radian on the week end, gonna have a look at it and see.

here she is.

looks pretty good, and a bit speedier...

*edit* Happy Birthday to me... 27 years old... Hey, I can almost see 30.... Im on the downward side of the uphill side to middle age....

heh...
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#87 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

You are hopeless.... Wife says "buy something new" and you turn around and buy another "fixer upper".... Gonna have to get out of this blog before MY wife sees it....

:laughing:

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#88 Unread post by blues2cruise »

When you go looking at new bikes, take a look at the kawasaki Vulcan 900.

You've already got an old bike........
Last edited by blues2cruise on Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NorthernPete

#89 Unread post by NorthernPete »

*chuckles* its not that I wouldnt LIKE a new bike, Im just upgrading a bit until I can afford a new bike....

next summer me thinks. then I sells off the olders and buys the newer!
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

NorthernPete

#90 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Well, I aint gonna be buying that bike.....

I went for a trip to Ottawa with the wife to go to my brother in laws college graduation (peramedic) and on the way down I managed to hit a deer with my shiney new SUV :( Luckily it was a small deer, and it went under the vehicle instead of over, and it went under the drivers side tire and out before it got to the back. But the litle bit of damage caused probably sucked up my bike budget (insurance claims suck, a couple hundred bucks outta my pocket is better then jacking up my rates by putting in a claim.)

PLus side - I did get to visit a few motorcycle dealer ships down Ottawa way. I sat on a few bikes. and I think next year when I do buy new, I will go down there. I am torn though. there are two bikes that I nreally really liked the feel of.

Bike one - Ducati Monster, loved the feel of it, and it looked pretty cool. I could see me on it....

Bike two - Buell Lighting, once more, felt great and cool lookin. it was a bit bigger of an engine though. (I was thinking of the City X one)

but thats next years dilema.

Oh, and every one is fine, except the deer...the Police had to shoot it....

and I didnt even get any meat outta the deal...hind quarter was mangled.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F