Terry47147's (aka Gobbler) Motorcycle Blog

terry47147
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Terry47147's (aka Gobbler) Motorcycle Blog

#1 Unread post by terry47147 »

Hi all, I'm Terry47147 (aka Gobbler). It's 2009 and I'm 50 years old. I live in Southern Indiana (47147 is my zip code) on a 160 acre farm. I'm retired from the Air Force and I'm finishing my bachelor's degree in Elementary education. I was married for a couple of years back in the 70's, but otherwise I've flown solo for most of my life. I owned a wedding DJ business for many years and when I first retired from the Air Force I bought a little beer bar in Enid, Oklahoma. When my father died, I sold my bar and home in Oklahoma and moved back to the family farm so that my mother wouldn't be living alone out in the country.

I have lived in Hawaii; Wichita Falls, TX; Sicily; Dayton, OH; Saudi Arabia; and, Enid, OK, as well as here on the family farm near New Washington, IN.

Over 23 years ago my HD Sportster was stolen and because of the trauma I swore I would never own another motorcycle. Well, a lot has changed in those years and I have come to realize that just because I lost something doesn't mean that I had to throw out all of my desires.

Two things happened this year that convinced me to get back into motorcycling. First, in April, I had a quadruple bypass. I wasn't feeling bad, just having some pain when I'd be working hard. But I happened to mention it to my doc and within a week I'd had surgery because everything was over 80% blocked. I was lucky in that my heart wasn't damaged.

The second thing that happened was that my best friend, James, came across a '84 Honda V45 and we put it in my garage. Once we had it running I took it for a ride around the yard. That's all it took and I was hooked again.

Now, I know this guy that works on motorcycles. He's somewhat of a loner and everybody around agrees that he's aces when it comes to motorcycles, and just flat-out being a human. So, I gave him a call and sure enough he knew someone that was selling a good starter bike. I called the number he gave me and set up a meeting time.

The farm where Big Boy was at was beautiful. A shady lake by the house and really caring people. Big Boy actually belonged to the people's son. He had gotten married and had adopted a child. While the adoption was being finalized his wife had their own daughter, so they had two babies that were just months apart, which left little time to ride. So, Big Boy had just sat in the Garage collecting dust. Big Boy is a 2000 Honda VLX 600.

When the lady opened the garage, and I saw this bike, I knew I was meant to ride him. Even though he was coated in a year's worth of dust, I could tell that he still looked as good as the day he came off the showroom. Leaned over on his kickstand he simply looked relaxed. His saddlebags looked a little worn, but not worse for the wear. His seat looked inviting. I felt him connecting with me.

I pulled out his choke, turned the key, and pressed his starter button. Big Boy came to life! He was ready for new roads and new adventures.

That was just a little over two weeks ago and in that time Big Boy and I have rode together for almost 1,000 miles. We've been taking it easy, just getting to know each other. It's been many years since I've ridden and we're working through that.

Yesterday, we rode out through the country and included some time on a superslab, and some time on a windy road. All told, we went for 136 miles. My confidence is improving with each ride. I'm feeling less aprehensive and more relaxed, and twisties are becomming fun!

The weather is supposed to be nice this week, and I keep hearing Big Boy tell me that he loves camping, so we might try an overnight trip.
Challenge yourself to make life worthwhile...

terry47147
Rookie
Rookie

Insulation in the air breather...

#2 Unread post by terry47147 »

I decided to polish the bike today and as I was finishing I decided to take a look at the air filter, since I'm not sure what maintenance has been done. What surprised me was finding a mouse nest in the air breather housing. I knew this bike had been setting in a barn/garage for sometime, but I wasn't expecting a mouse nest. I'm real glad I decided to check the filter.

The weather has cooled somewhat and this evening was perfect for a country ride. I putted around enjoying the scenery for 50 miles. The sky was beautiful with puffy clouds and low humidity. Even the dogs didn't want to give chase today!

I'm so wanting to get on Big Boy and go camping--I've just got to convince myself that it isn't going to rain (not supposed to) and figure out where to go. I've got a state park pass, so I might try camping at a state park. I hate making decisions...

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

I have always wondered what the proper Mouse Per Gallon ratio was for Honda's. :laughing:

Glad to see another retread back in the saddle. Out of idle curiosity, what model of V45 was it? A Sabre like mine or the Magna?
Always ask why.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

What a great story to read, well written and heart felt. :D

The VLX600 is a great bike to get out an start back on. I'm betting you like the sound of the engine too, it's very very close to being a 600cc Harley-Davidson V-Twin (if H-D ever made one).

Glad you are back on the bike, it really never does leave you even though some may leave it "temporarily". Not much I've ever found can replace the joy, feedom and adventure on a motorcycle.

I think your line of thought "Well, a lot has changed in those years and I have come to realize that just because I lost something doesn't mean that I had to throw out all of my desires. " is quite inspiring for others. :D

Welcome and have fun with your blog!

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#5 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Hi Terry

Great first couple of blogs. Looking forward to reading more..
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

terry47147
Rookie
Rookie

Over 1,000 miles in half a month!

#6 Unread post by terry47147 »

First off, thanks for the great comments. I believe Honda specs say that I should expect about 5 mice per gallon... :P The V45 is the Magna, which we're still having two troubles with. One, the carbs need cleaning bad, and two, the horns are shot. We found some cheap horns that work directly off the battery, but won't work connected to the wiring harness, even though I can read 12v at the terminals.

Big Boy and I have logged 1,035 miles since the 12th of this month. I thought I'd share some highlights...

On our first major outing I took a road that ended up having a sewer line being put down the middle with loose gravel and potholes everywhere! It was the longest 2 blocks of my life and there's still some "pinch" marks on the seat. But, we made it.

Here in southern Indiana the town of Friendship hosts the National Black Powder Rifle Shoot every spring and fall. This is a combination shoot and flea market. I decided that it would make a great trip. Big Boy and I stayed out of the main flow of traffic, which is a twisty small highway, until we were close to Friendship. As we drove through town we came to the part of the highway where everyone is walking, either on the side of the road or on the road itself. I was nervous, but Big Boy just eased into 1st gear and gave that low reassuring rumble and we made it through. We came back to town and parked in the row of bikes that lined the front of the tavern. I left Big Boy there for a well deserved rest and headed out to find some friends that have a booth selling Native American jewelry and clothes. I didn't stay long and as we left town I decided to take Hwy 129 to the Ohio River.

129 is a beauty. Scenic and twisty, but with wide aprons. Now, I still wasn't sure of my handling ability so I was taking it slow, only about 45 instead of the posted 50/55mph. The gods were looking out for me. I know this because the van following me stayed the perfect distance, never pushing me to go faster, or making me feel pressured. I'm pretty sure the driver must have realized my newness, and I figure he was a biker, but for 19 miles he stayed with me. When I got to the end of the road I pulled to the apron and waved and nodded as he passed.

On each trip I have learned something. Either how to handle the bike, or how to out fox a dog, or learning that I don't have a fifth gear (sure sounds like Big Boy would love one, though). I've also watched my confidence grow.

I did want to tell you how I got the name Gobbler. Ya see, there's three of us that ride together--James, Cary, and yours truly. The nicknames started with James. The first night I got Big Boy James took him for a spin and, low and behold, he clipped a rabbit with the left peg, so James is Rabbit. On our first ride together I was in the lead and came around a corner and had to stop because a young wild turkey was standing in the middle of the road. Now, anyone that knows anything about wild turkeys will tell you that they'll run at the first hint of a human, but this one just stood in the road, cocked his head and took in the sight of the bike and me. I had to hit the horn to scare him away. So, my honored nickname is Gobbler! Now, our friend Cary hasn't run into any strange situations with wild critters--at least he hasn't talked about any, but he is the one that brings up the rear...hmmmm.

Tonight I started seeing how I might load Big Boy for a overnight, or 2-day camping trip. He's still telling me it's time to go...

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#7 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Did you get to go motorcycle camping?