Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

The Art of Endurance - Gadjet's not so daily log

#1 Unread post by Gadjet »

24 hour Rally – A Newb’s POV

June 17, 2005 – Start Day

The appointed start date of the Tenth Annual Alberta 2000 Endurance Rally rolled around and things were not getting off to a good start. I woke up about 3 hours earlier than I had planned and there was no way that I was going to be able to get back to sleep. Fine, I guess I’ll get my butt out of bed then and get my last few items squared away and loaded on the bike. Pretty much everything that I thought I would need for this ride had been assembled and packed the night before, and some of the stuff was already arranged on the bike. To really get my day off to a great start, I also had a bit of a headache to contend with, so I popped an extra-strength Advil Liqui-Gel, grabbed a cup of coffee and hoped that it did the trick – I did not want to get a migraine on this day of all days, as that would effectively end my Rally before I ever left the house to go to the start.

Rolled out of the driveway and headed off to the start location in Edmonton shortly after 10 in the morning, 2 hours before I had originally planned to leave, but really, when you are already caught up in your web-surfing and email and you’ve already got the bike packed, what else is there to do?

Got to the start location and found out that my electric vest was not working, so I decided I should look into that while I still had lots of time – turned out to be the blown fuse like I thought it might be. This was a half hour job to replace, as I had mistakenly put the fuse for the vest plug-in underneath the fuel tank (note to self – rewire the electric vest and move the fuse to a more accessible location). Everything worked fine after that. Once the Rallymaster and his lovely assistants arrived, I cold start with getting the Odometer check ride out of the way, and still have time to catch a nap before the 17:30 riders meeting.

~14:30hrs – check ride done, time for a nap

Not!

Ever try to have a nap when you are meeting a bunch of new riders and visiting with ones you’ve met before, all while hoping that your headache will go away and not get worse? (yes, I still had the headache, 6 hours and 3 Advil after I got up) Nap never happened, so I knew this was going to turn into a very long day.

Got the Rally package at the meeting and got down to pinpointing bonus locations and sorting out where I was going to go. This was tough, having never done it before, but I had one advantage in my favor – I knew that I wasn’t going to try to be competitive with the big dogs, my goal was just to finish the rally. I knew that I had to cover a minimum of 1600kms before I got to the finish, but how I was going to get that was my job, so I started plotting.

Mistake #1 – I really didn’t take the time that I should have to really look at where all the bonuses were, and how that related to the weather that was moving in.

I plotted a bunch of small bonuses that were all close together in the southeast corner of the province, with a couple of larger bonuses along the way, thinking that I could skirt the rain and get below it and then come around behind it on my return leg and grab a few more bonuses.

~21:40hrs – Electric vest failed. I suspect the fuse went again, but I decided that I wasn’t going to rip the bike apart on the side of the highway to check it. It wasn’t supposed to get all that cold, and I had layered well enough that if I stayed dry I would be alright. That was Mistake #2.

Then the rain hit me just south of Killam. Started as a light sprinkle but quickly turned into a deluge. Lost time in Consort looking for fuel and finally had to get back on the road and hope that I made it down to Hanna for my next bonus and a 24hr gas station. Wound up blowing off that bonus as the driving wind and rain made it far to dangerous to try to get the photo that I needed, so I headed into town, fighting to keep the bike upright and on the road. 5 minutes after I finished filling up, the rain stopped, so I put the liner back in my jacket, changed gloves and tossed some stuff out of my now damp tankbag and into the topcase where it would stay dry, then headed off to Drumheller and Rosedale for my next two bonuses. Took a break in Drumheller and had a bite to eat, then gassed up again to make sure that I could hit my next three bonuses (fortunately all close together) and get to Brooks for more fuel.

Things just weren’t going my way that night. At my second bonus stop after leaving Drumheller, I couldn’t find the sign that I needed, so I left and headed off to the next one, which was fairly easy to get. When I got to the next two though, they were both at the end of long, potholed muddy stretches of dirt road, so I said ‘to hell with it’ and headed to Brooks. After getting fuel, I holed up in the Tim Hortons to have a cup of tea and go over my map to look at the next section of my route. I had written down simple line directions on a piece of paper with the route number and bonus location along with the bonus code to keep in the map window of my tank bag (I found this easier to read and understand than trying to look at a map and sort out just where I was and where I was going), but this notesheet had gotten a little ‘damp’ in the downpour around Hanna and was no longer legible, so I needed to do some re-planning.

Fortunately, the rain stayed away while I traveled to Fort MacLeod for the bonus there, then all the way to Crowsnest Pass for that batch of points. I met up with Steve Broadhead there, and we both spent a good 15 – 20 minutes looking around for the sign that we needed before deciding that the one that we had originally found had to be the one, so we took our pictures then headed our separate ways.

Stayed dry all the way up highway 22 (not even realizing that that was one of the highways that was itself a bonus location – Doh!), but fatigue was starting to kick in with a vengeance and I had to stop at just about every roadside turnout to get off the bike and walk around a bit in order to wake myself up. Made it into Black Diamond at ~10:30/11:00 am and got gas. Had to duct tape a couple pieces of my bike together as well in order to keep them from falling off as the screws holding them down started to vibrate loose. Fortunately the parts are mostly cosmetic in nature and it wouldn’t be a terrible loss if one fell off and got destroyed (other than the hassle of trying to get replacement parts. Note to self – get a new bike!) While taping up the bike, I heard on the radio that the bridge in Okotoks was closed due to flooding – great, this was the way I was headed to get back to Calgary. I filled up with gas and decided to risk it anyway, knowing that I could always continue past Okotoks and take a different route if that one was closed.

Got to Okotoks and found that the bridge had been re-opened, but the traffic was crawling through at a snails pace. I was not happy about this, as I could see the clouds rolling in and wanted to get as far along my homeward leg as I could before the skies opened up and I got soggy again. Just at the south end of Calgary though, I got hit with the rain. Along with the rain were also very heavy winds, so I got myself out of the traffic and off of the road that was being repaved (thanks for all the grooves guysL I hate road construction) until the wind let up enough that I could continue on my way. At this point I decided to forgo any of the other 6 bonus locations that were on my planned route and instead concentrated on just getting the miles I needed to qualify as a finisher in the rally and get to the hotel at the end.

Finally rolled into the hotel parking lot shortly after 18:00hrs on June 18, soaked through to the skin and fighting borderline hypothermia from being soaking wet and cold for so long (note to self – get some Nikwax and treat the waterproof pants/jacket again. ) Getting off the bike was a real chore, as my legs didn’t want to work, nor did my hands, but I did manage it without outside assistance. Bob McKay then gave me the key to his room and sent me packing to have a hot shower and get warmed up and changed, which I did (Thanks Bob. Greatly appreciated). I then had something hot to eat and sorted through all my photos and bonus sheets and turned them in to the Rallymaster for scoring. My roommate had rolled in by this time, so we had a couple beers in the pub and shot a few games of pool then headed off to get some sleep at about 2am Sunday morning.

Why is it that even after being up for 36 hours and riding for almost 24 of that, fighting fatigue all the way, I was still able to kick back, have a couple beers and have some fun for another 8 hours? I still haven’t figured that one out.

At the dinner and awards on Sunday afternoon, I found out just where I had placed in the standings. After a few words of encouragement and praise for my accomplishment, I heard the words I never thought I would hear:

Did Not Finish.

I was floored. Turns out that I hadn’t gone far enough over the minimum distance shown on my odometer, and the corrected distance put me short by 44km. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I was devastated. I had come into the rally knowing that I wasn’t likely to be competitive with most of the other riders, so my only real goal was to finish, which I didn’t (officially) achieve. I can say that I finished it though, as I did arrive at the final checkpoint within the allowed time, I was just a little short on miles (I had actually only gone 97.25% of the minimum required distance)

I’ll do better next year.

Count on it.

Owen Clark
Last edited by Gadjet on Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Got a new ride. finally.

#2 Unread post by Gadjet »

Finally got myself a new bike. Much more reliable than the old 'zook, lighter, easier to handle, and a real miser on fuel.

Last edited by Gadjet on Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Sev »

GRATZ!!
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

TheReaper
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by TheReaper »

Awesome!!! I rode the KLR250 during my MSF course. It was a blast.

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Hmmm.....nice weather. must be time for an extended ride

#5 Unread post by Gadjet »

Decided to head off to breakfast in Nisku this morning with some of the other members of the Black Gold Beemers Motorcycle club. Haven't been to a breakfast in a couple weeks, and I do have a new bike to show off, so........

Started the ride at about 0745 and headed north on Hwy20 to Bentley, then headed East to #2. Took that for the short stint until I could get on to 2A for the scenic run up through Ponoka, Wetaskiwin (where I filled the tank up) and Leduc before shunting back onto #2 for the 5km to Nisku.

After breakfast I headed into Edmonton to visit my daughter for a bit, then puttered away to Hawrelak park to sit in the sun and peruse my map.

where to go?

As the sky was looking a little 'ominous' to the West and South, I put my raingear on and headed off west to Stony Plain, then turned south onto 779 to 627. Followed that for a bit until I got to the 770, then headed south again past the Genesee Power Plant. Turned East on 39 to Warburg, then back onto 770 down to the 616 where I headed east again till I got to the 771 on theWest side of Pigeon Lake. Nice scenery around there. Lots of development too.

followed the 771 south to the 611 junction, where I briefly contemplated continuing south on the gravel road portion of the 771. Headed west to Hoadley instead, where my plan was to have a cup of coffee and a bathroom break.

Nothing in Hoadley though, not even gas. Decided to head south to Blufton for coffee instead, but there wasn't anything there either so I continued on to Rimbey. While there, a guy came up to check out the bike as he and a friend of his had been looking at getting one. We chatted for awhile while I drank my coffee, and he suggested a different road south towards Sylvan from what I had been planning, so I thought 'why not'.

Headed off in the direction that he gave me, but instead of zigging to follow the paved road, I zagged instead to follow a gravel road that ran south. went through a stop sign a little ways up the road as it looked like the road continued on south past a couple of farmyards.

it didn't.

At least not as a well kept gravel road. It instead turned into a hard packed 4x4 trail that continued on through the trees.

So I kept going. 2nd gear, standing on the pegs, through the ruts and a couple of small mud puddles for a bit, then I came up over one small incline and around a bend to be confronted with two huge mud puddles/pits covering the whole track. hmmm. do I really want to go this way?

Discretion being the better part of valor, I decided to pass on continuing down that path and intead muscled the bike around and headed back the way I had come, but at a slightly quicker pace - I knew what was coming up after all.

I will go back to that track later in the summer though, when it's had a chance to dry up some. I need to find out where it goes.

As I left, I realized 'damn. I have my camera in my pocket. I should have taken a pick of the mudhole from over the handlebars. next time'

I quickly got back onto Hwy 20 and cruised home, where I filled the tank up - 16L and ~348km from my last fill.

I did wind up with one pic from the ride, when I stopped under a bridge just north of the Genesee Plant.

Last edited by Gadjet on Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

A nice jaunt through K Country

#6 Unread post by Gadjet »

Thanks to the wonders of the internet, I managed to hook up with a fellow rider, Dave for a jaunt through Alberta's Kananaskis Country yesterday.

This was my first real ride off pavement since getting Kylie 4 weeks ago, and I had an absolute blast. Dave knew where to find some good hardpack roads to travel that would be suitable for a novice rider (novice to off-pavement anyway)

I did remember to take my camera with me, but I didn't get very many shots - there were lots of opportunities, but I was having too much fun to stop and take pictures.

The start of the road we wanted to take. apparently still unrepaired after having sections of it washed away in last month's rain.

looking down on the start of the closed road. Nice view eh?

Near the top of Moose Mountain road. very nice road to go up, with only a few rough spots with runoff channels. Of course, the steep uphill sections that were so much fun going up........

Another view from near the top of Moose Mountain. Gotta love K country

Dave next to the bikes on Moose Mountain, shortly before we headed back down.

It was a very enjoyable day cruising along the back roads, with only one minor bit of bother. About halfway down the mountain, Dave pulled off to try and get a bug out of his helmet. I rolled in behind and slightly upslope of him, put the bike in neutral and put my foot down........

dodo, no ground.

Kylie toppled over like a brained cow, sustaining a slightly bent shift lever (didn't hit the case though), cracked handguard and a broken clutch lever.

she was still functional though, and started up and ran without a glitch.

A couple hours later though, she developed a dislike for 2nd gear, at least when approached from first. I have to hold the lever up with my foot while I let the clutch out in order for her to stay in second gear. Every other gear is fine, and she goes to 2nd from 3rd smoothly.

is something a little off/broken, or is this a standard glitch?

Only the dealer can tell me for sure (thank god for warranties)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Time for another update

#7 Unread post by Gadjet »

Finally got around to getting some pics of the mods that I have made to my bike to date, so without further ado:

Top case and tool tubes (JC Whitney and Welding rod cannisters)

Maier Handguards with stock wind protection trimmed and bolted on

License plate moved up and reinforced with two aluminum backing plates (not quite visible - they hold the two halves of the plate together). Now I just have to get my light bracket made up and mounted/wired

Relocated fuse box. Thanks to those of you that sent me a stock fuse box, I was able to wire this in without changing the stock wiring - I carry my stock fuse box with me in case the wiring on this little puppy dies (shouldn't, but you never know)

Power port for my electric vest. Wiring runs under the side panel and seat and comes out on the right side of the seat - I can disconnect my vest there or at the plug shown. Power runs from the battery through a fuse in my new fuse box then through a switch temporarily mounted on my handlebars (will be moved when I get my dash.)

I have also added a Wolfman Explorer Tank bag (came with the BMW harness, but it was stupidly easy to modify to mount up like the KLR specific harness). With this in place, I now have to relearn how to control the bike off road as I can't sit/stand as far forward as I used to.
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#8 Unread post by BuzZz »

Go, Go, Gadget Motorcycle!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Gadjet »

BuzZz wrote:Go, Go, Gadget Motorcycle!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
you laugh now, but wait till I have it done 8)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#10 Unread post by BuzZz »

I'm just wondering where you're going to put the microwave......
and the 50 Cal. mount.....

:laughing:
No Witnesses.... :shifty: