dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

A new journey...

#1 Unread post by dr_bar »

So, the venture riders site I belong to is having a rally. Not somewhere close to home, heck no... it's out in the middle of BF nowhere. Can you say ARKANSAS??? Now with that said, I'm off to the world of Dog Patch Arkansas, more specificly, "The Hub" a motorcycle resort/conference centre.

I got a late start from home and I only made it as far as Osoyoos BC, a great place for pitching the tent, normally... today it decided to pour and hail out along with thunder and lightening. Oh well, I needed another shower today, the first was just before I entered a little town called Hedley. Driving along stripped down to jeans and t-shirt, I know, I'm a bad boy, but it was so hot even in my mesh, I was sweating the moisture out faster than I could put it back into me. Anyway, I saw this bright flash in what seemed to be an almost clear sky, little did I know that clouds can move faster than my bike, but it's true. So after the first ten drops hit my windshield I never had a chance, it came down so hard and so fast that I could barely see two or three car lengths in front of me. Boy, did that feel good. Tomorrow I plan on an early start, and maybe make it into southern Alberta, heading as far east as I can go for the day. I haven't decided where I'll swing south. Haven't been busy with the camera, so I'll see if I can get a few shots tomorrow...

Doug
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Well that would explain why I've seen so many headed east. Good luck with your ride, keep it shiny side up, and wear your gear! :evil: :laughing:
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#3 Unread post by dr_bar »

Wrider wrote:Well that would explain why I've seen so many headed east. Good luck with your ride, keep it shiny side up, and wear your gear! :evil: :laughing:
So, are you planning a trip up to Keystone to meet some of the members that are going there? If so, when were you planning on making the trip?

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Yep I'm planning on making the trip to see them. Not quite sure yet, probably Saturday after I get off of work, or maybe Sunday morning to meet up with some of them and then head back without having to spring for lodging. You coming down too?
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#5 Unread post by dr_bar »

I'm actually going to be travelling through the southern parts ending up in Keystone a little earlier in the week. I have to be back in BC by the 22nd.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#6 Unread post by dr_bar »

So, Monday was an interesting day for riding. All I can say is it was D*MN hot... I rode from Osoyoos to Cranbrook where I stopped for dinner, if you find yourself in Cranbrook a dinner time, I highly recommend Frank's
Steak and Schnitzle House, bring an appetite... As I was leaving Cranbrook a storm was rolling in and it was hiding the fact very well, rain, thunder and lightening with me heading right into it...

I wasn't on the road 2 minutes before the rain started, with the light show not far behind. My goal for the night was Fernie BC, a mere 100kms away, who would have thought that it would take me two and a half hours to make the trip. The rain was so warm it steamed up my face shield, my windshield and steam was rising from the road. with visibility dropping to almost zero at times, I was force to stop and let the worst of it pass about four times. Travelling at 35 - 40 km/hr, the rain was so hard it got into my strapped down cooler and literally filled it to the top. I was dry under my rain gear but everything else I had got soaked.

Tuesday was a lot better but cool all day. I had a goal of Great Falls Montana and I was doing great on making it happen, then about 60 miles north of Great Falls, it started to rain, thunder clouds formed and it was starting to look very much like Monday evening. With that in my mind, I took the first exit and pulled into the Super8 motel in Conrad. I felt better about stopping when I realized that the storm was heading straight down the highway towards Great Falls.

Soon to come, more on my jousrney

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#7 Unread post by MZ33 »

I'm actually going to be travelling through the southern parts ending up in Keystone a little earlier in the week. I have to be back in BC by the 22nd.
I hope to be west of St. Louis by the evening of August 16th, along with Lion Lady & coffee brake. Where will you be then, Doc?
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#8 Unread post by dr_bar »

MZ33 wrote:
I hope to be west of St. Louis by the evening of August 16th, along with Lion Lady & coffee brake. Where will you be then, Doc?
I really don't know where I'll be on the 16th. I'm playing this trip by ear and going with the flow, as long as I'm at "The Hub" in Arkansas by Sunday and back in Osoyoos BC by the 22nd, everything else is in flux...

If I happen to be in the area, I'd love to ride with you folks...

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#9 Unread post by High_Side »

Is there anyone who manages to get caught in more crappy weather than Doc???? :lol:
Hope that you have a safe and fun trip.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#10 Unread post by dr_bar »

Wednesday's ride was a case of cat and mouse all day. I'd ride a bit, stop for gas, and it would start to rain. Get back on the road and ride out of the rain and everything's fine. Then I stop for a break and 5 minutes later I have to get back on the scoot to out run the rain again, that system followed me all day. I felt like that little guy in the cartoons with the thunder cloud permanently over his head...

I've gone and lost my point and shoot camera somewhere, I'm hoping to find it in my trailer but I'm not holding out too much hope on that, d*mn, I had some great shots of my grandson on that SD card...

I rode from Conrad Montana to Miles city, Montana and besides the little bits of rain here and there, it was beautiful country and a nice two lane hwy almost all the way. 380 miles for the day, and I was a little bit tired, so I hit the KOA in Miles City. had a light snack and hit the sack.

Today was an incredible ride, that is if you don't count the delays for construction.... After leaving Miles city, there was a sign at the junction saying there was construction on 212 and minimum of 1/2 hour delays. So I continued on south via 59 to Gillette and ran into construction and 45 min delays, oh well...

Miles City to Gillette Wyoming, then through Sturgis and on to Wall, S. Dakota. The scenary is fantastic, I wish I could find that camera. I don't have the words to describe everything, but between the rock formations, and the various forms of vegetation and wildlife (dead and alive), the landscape was fascinating. I think my favourite part of the road today, was shortly after leaving Gillette and into S. Dakota. The rolling hills and the fresh green look and the smell of the trees.... just like riding at home. Sturgis rally doesn't start 'til the weekend, but the area is already a zoo, next to no camping anywhere near by.

I'm pushing to make better time into Arkansas, so it's onto I-90 then down I-29 to the rally.

EDIT: Just a little sample of Monday night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD9dRSpFEgc